Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Has anyone used an immigration company??

Has anyone used an immigration company??

Old May 22nd 2009, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

ayse68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has anyone used an immigration company??

Originally Posted by shazza69
please let me know what the citizens advice advise you to do, we are in two minds now
ok, i have to phone them on tues to make appointment to see relevant person, i will let you know.
Old May 27th 2009, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

please let me know what the citizens advice advise you to do, we are in two minds now
Hiya, cant seem to get through to C.A.B,
my advice to you wouldbe to try & get your money back. How did you pay for it? We are getting all our paperwork together & the bank is going to look into it for us. Trust me, we would both be wasting our time staying with this new company.
Old May 27th 2009, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza69 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for getting back to me, we paid via our debit card and not a credit card so not sure what can be done about that.. we are going to phone the company up and ask them a few more questions as to weather we would get out file back...ill keep you posted..
Old May 27th 2009, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for getting back to me, we paid via our debit card and not a credit card so not sure what can be done about that.. we are going to phone the company up and ask them a few more questions as to weather we would get out file back...ill keep you posted..
We were told not to phone, but to e-mail, cos then you will have proof of what they say to you, your bank is going to want evidence. Please dont mention me, im sure there are loads of people who have contacted them, asking the same thing. Someone elsei know has also paid by debitcard & her bank is helping her.
Goodluck.
Old May 27th 2009, 9:41 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Emails are far too easy to just delete. If I were you I'd be on the phone 24/7 asking for proof of exactly what they've done, plus a breakdown of what they've charged you for. Do not take no for an answer, and do not leave it for someone else to sort out for you. Take the names of everyone you speak with, and the professional body they belong to (if any). Also document every phone call.

For GBP6k you deserve some answers.
Old May 28th 2009, 3:00 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob_999
Emails are far too easy to just delete. If I were you I'd be on the phone 24/7 asking for proof of exactly what they've done, plus a breakdown of what they've charged you for. Do not take no for an answer, and do not leave it for someone else to sort out for you. Take the names of everyone you speak with, and the professional body they belong to (if any). Also document every phone call.

For GBP6k you deserve some answers.
Exactly!

Also I'm not sure if I understand the whole business of them having gone into liquidation yet still operating under a new name? Has this new company taken them over? In which case they should have assumed the obligations (to clients) of the previous company.
Old May 28th 2009, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Wildy
Exactly!

Also I'm not sure if I understand the whole business of them having gone into liquidation yet still operating under a new name? Has this new company taken them over? In which case they should have assumed the obligations (to clients) of the previous company.
Yep, gone into liquidation, same office, same staff, just new company name. We were told that cos they have gone into liquidation, our money, or a little of it, will be very hard to get back, so barclaycard want all our paperwork, inc e-mails ( they can delete all theirs), but ive printed them all out already.
New company has said they have nothing to do with old company, but are willing to do all existing clients a FAVOUR & carry on with the immigration process.(load of bull,same office, same people.) No good phoning, as no one comes to the phone.
Old May 28th 2009, 6:53 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ayse68
Yep, gone into liquidation, same office, same staff, just new company name. We were told that cos they have gone into liquidation, our money, or a little of it, will be very hard to get back, so barclaycard want all our paperwork, inc e-mails ( they can delete all theirs), but ive printed them all out already.
New company has said they have nothing to do with old company, but are willing to do all existing clients a FAVOUR & carry on with the immigration process.(load of bull,same office, same people.) No good phoning, as no one comes to the phone.
I'm not an expert on company law but hopefully someone else will be along to provide some advice on this issue. I remember there being a TV report a few years back in the UK about double-glazing companies who engaged in that type of practice - they would wind-up the limited company to basically escape their creditors and obligations arrising out of all the lifetime warrantees they had given and just start trading again under a new limited company the next day. But I'm pretty sure something was done to plug that kind of loophole in the legal system. I hope you can get something done.
Old May 30th 2009, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

Settlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really nice

I'm sorry someone lost money on that and I just want to warn those who hasn't applied yet:

long long time ago I've heard a very good statement that if you are not able to fill few simple forms, with all those Internet sites helping you, you better don't start the whole thing. Here you are going to be on your own, so you have to start on your own too.

I've heard also that there are few immigration consultants that can just check your ready forms, just for errors, in case you are not sure, and this doesn't cost much. But to pay thousands to someone just to forward you the mail? Hmmmmm.....
Old May 30th 2009, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Tracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Paul Wildy
I'm not an expert on company law but hopefully someone else will be along to provide some advice on this issue. I remember there being a TV report a few years back in the UK about double-glazing companies who engaged in that type of practice - they would wind-up the limited company to basically escape their creditors and obligations arrising out of all the lifetime warrantees they had given and just start trading again under a new limited company the next day. But I'm pretty sure something was done to plug that kind of loophole in the legal system. I hope you can get something done.
The above it quite common in the UK - I worked as a PA to the MD for the same company for 5 yrs and they went into receivership twice and opened up in another name. Dodgy I know - the last time they did it was just before I emigrated and this was only done as my boss owed the taxman over £500,000 due to putting his wedding, £30,000 honeymoon, two renos for his luxury home all through the company! Someone grassed to the taxman, he got caught offered to pay them just £40,000 (which the IR accepted) but my boss decided no and closed the company! Apparently he is doing really well once again and still up to his old tricks!
Old May 30th 2009, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Tracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud of

Forgot to mention - For the OP- I hope you get all or some of your money back. We nearly went with an immigration company but when they quoted £9,000 I decided whatever they can do I can do myself and so we did.

In case of any misunderstanding - it wasn't an immigration company that I worked for. But thank god I left and how in the hell do these companies get away with it?
Old Jun 1st 2009, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Settlers_Unlimited
I'm sorry someone lost money on that and I just want to warn those who hasn't applied yet:

long long time ago I've heard a very good statement that if you are not able to fill few simple forms, with all those Internet sites helping you, you better don't start the whole thing. Here you are going to be on your own, so you have to start on your own too.

I've heard also that there are few immigration consultants that can just check your ready forms, just for errors, in case you are not sure, and this doesn't cost much. But to pay thousands to someone just to forward you the mail? Hmmmmm.....
Thanks for the Sarcasm SETTLERS! Really wanted to hear that. It was not just about filling forms.!