British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Has anyone moved from NS to another province? can't decide (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/has-anyone-moved-ns-another-province-cant-decide-936644/)

Loraine 1 Jan 17th 2021 3:05 pm

Has anyone moved from NS to another province? can't decide

Hi guys,

I hope your all good.

We've been in Nova Scotia for almost 3 years and I'm thinking I might like to try another province (hubby is on the fence) and I was wondering if any of you have done the same?

Since moving to NS we've made some fabulous life long friends, I adore my job and we're near the ocean (I can see it from our sofa) but something is missing. Hubby is struggling to find a job in his field and covid has only made it 100 times worse so he took a job he hates which is making him miserable. Most of the people are super friendly to talk to but it stops at a quick chat, it's very difficult to form connections here and we find ourselves hanging out with the same couple of people all the time which is great, but we'd like to do more.
The cost of living here is really high too. Most of our money goes on apartment rental and grocery shopping. We are much better with our money here than we we're in the UK but we're still struggling.

So in short, would a move to a bigger province be a good move or is the Canada dream just not working for us?

Siouxie Jan 17th 2021 4:49 pm

Re: Has anyone moved from NS to another province? can't decide

If I recall correctly, you are/were on a TWP that expires in 2021.. Are you a Permanent Resident now - and did you apply/ get PR via Provincial Nomination in the end?

If you are a Provincial Nominee and have been a PR for under 2 years I would suggest not moving yet.. you could potentially lose your PR status if the Province thinks you 'used' them to gain PR with no intention of remaining there once you have it. :)

If you didn't, have you been anywhere else in Canada, any Provinces that you fancy more than others - what is it you are looking for in particular? The 'superficial' chats are a common denominator across Canada, moving Provinces won't necessarily solve that one unfortunately. There are a couple of members who have moved from NS to Ontario (and other places) who hopefully can chime in for you -- calling DandNHill :D

I'm moving your post to the main Canada forum as the maple leaf is more for off topic (i.e. anything but about Canada) and you're more likely to get responses on the main forum.
:)

Loraine 1 Jan 17th 2021 9:21 pm

Thank you,

Yes your right. I really struggled for a while and it was looking like my visa wasn't going to come through all because WES wouldn't accredit my UK qualifications. It all worked out in the end and we switched from AIPP to Provincial Nomination. Our PR application has been in the system for about a year.

We're not planning on moving straight away but if it's something we decide to do we need to start saving etc.. So far we've visited a few places across Canada and Ottawa is our fav though we plan to visit Calgary and Edmonton later this year. I don't want to move and end up in the same situation financially as we are now so I think a lot of if is going to depend on where hubby can find work and what his salary would be. He took quite the pay cut when we moved here although he had loads of interest before we moved, that interest dried up once we got here which is super frustrating.

It's another thing about NS that irks me. Is that a Canada wide issue or just NS? companies talk a good game and make all sorts of offers and then either string you along for months and months on end or just disappear.

I'm an Accountant so fingers crossed I should be able to find work wherever he ends up.

GermanytoCanada Jan 18th 2021 12:23 am

Hey there,
We arrived in NS two years ago yesterday and whilst NS, like anywhere, has its positives, it isn't for us. We took the decision at Christmas to move west, as had been the plan when we moved to Canada in the first place (long story why we ended up in NS). We have just committed to moving to Calgary in April/May this year for a job (hopefully my job will continue working remotely, but we will see what happens with that).

Being near the ocean is lovely, but for the most part the coastline here is not particularly beautiful in my view (St, Margarets Bay excluded). The whole Fundy and north coastlines are interesting in their own way, but in a visit once kind of way - I don't see a reason to frequent them. Parts of the South Shore are lovely, but the swimming season is way too short (at least it is for me) and even then, the water is pretty chilly. From a coastal perspective, I would definitely prefer to live in Devon/Cornwall.

We are just starting to look into the logistics of actually moving 5000 km west to Calgary, and the house move doesn't look particularly cheap. Quotes so far are considerably higher than our move from southern Germany to Nova Scotia, presumably due to sea freight being cheaper than land transport.

We're taking a 'you only live once' kind of approach - if it isn't working, change something,

Siouxie Jan 18th 2021 4:33 am

Originally Posted by Loraine 1 (Post 12960299)
Thank you,

Yes your right. I really struggled for a while and it was looking like my visa wasn't going to come through all because WES wouldn't accredit my UK qualifications. It all worked out in the end and we switched from AIPP to Provincial Nomination. Our PR application has been in the system for about a year.

We're not planning on moving straight away but if it's something we decide to do we need to start saving etc.. So far we've visited a few places across Canada and Ottawa is our fav though we plan to visit Calgary and Edmonton later this year. I don't want to move and end up in the same situation financially as we are now so I think a lot of if is going to depend on where hubby can find work and what his salary would be. He took quite the pay cut when we moved here although he had loads of interest before we moved, that interest dried up once we got here which is super frustrating.

It's another thing about NS that irks me. Is that a Canada wide issue or just NS? companies talk a good game and make all sorts of offers and then either string you along for months and months on end or just disappear.

I'm an Accountant so fingers crossed I should be able to find work wherever he ends up.

Thanks for confirming, what a pain it's taken so long! Realistically you probably won't be in a position to move until at least 2023, if you don't want to raise questions about your reasons for applying for Provincial Nomination, judging by the processing time quoted for Provincial Nominee (15-19 months).. but at least you'll have plenty of time to save the money for a trans Canada move. :D

What is it your husband does for a living? Unfortunately taking pay cuts / moving sideways or needing to work in a different profession is very common when moving to Canada. To be honest, I think the 'we're interested... then total silence' is pretty common across Canada, it's not just where you live. A lot will depend on how 'in demand' his profession is.

As an accountant I would think you would be able to find work most places, so at least you have that.. however, it looks like you will need to apply for Provincial certification if you move Provinces. https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...rements/131/ca

Tough decisions but you've already had to make a lot of them, this will be just one more step along the path to you feeling more settled. :)

cxx Jan 19th 2021 12:53 am

We've often encountered the "offer loads, deliver nothing" from Canadians. We've only been in Atlantic Canada so can't speak for other areas, but it's extremely common, especially when it comes to jobs. Most of the time you'll find the job you want is given to a relative with zero ability to do it.
I've seen a number of people move West from the Maritimes, and IIRC all have said they made the best decision.

Loraine 1 Jan 19th 2021 11:27 am

Thanks guys for your reply's.

Many times hubby has applied for jobs that he's qualified for, got loads of industry experience and could do the job standing on his head. Yet, it's gone to a friend of the person hiring. It's heartbreaking watching him go through the process of applying, calls, interviews, 2nd interviews etc.. only to get nowhere as he doesn't know the right person. They will take you down the garden path as they have to and then offer the job to the person they were going to hire all along. It does happen this way in the UK sometimes but it's ALL the time here. If your not able to network or haven't built the right network you've got next to no chance.

I was super lucky as my employer offered me my job while we were on vacay and they brought me over. The company I work for is great and super supportive but if hubby doesn't settle and continues to do a low paying job that he hates then a move is the only option other than going back to the UK and neither of us want that.

Tumbling_Dice Jan 19th 2021 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Loraine 1 (Post 12960299)
Thank you,

Funny you should say that, I have a meeting today with my regional VP, or whatever they are called, for precisely this reason. I have never struggled to find work in my 4 years here, but I have struggled to find work which matches with the bluster they give you when trying to recruit you. Then you join, find it is different, and they act as if they never said it was anything different.

This time, I got a detailed job spec out of them, got various things in writing before I signed the contract, and they are trying to impose something different on me, something I would never have agreed to and don't want. I don't know if it is Canada wide, but I am amazed that I found somewhere with management worse than in the UK.

Upshot is if this meeting doesn't go well, our time in NS is likely winding down. Many of the other reasons mentioned above play into that. I wish you the best with your deliberations.

Loraine 1 Jan 19th 2021 3:22 pm

That's terrible. Hope it gets resolved for you. So stressful

There does seem to be a trend I've noticed with moving here. Since moving to NS we've met quite a few people who have moved here from either the UK or elsewhere and from conversations I've had with them the trend is the same. They initially moved here because one of the couple got a job with a company that was prepared to bend over backwards to do all they could to help and get them here and help get them settled. The partner then spends years struggling to find a job, or the right job and after a few year they've either succeeded by some stroke of pure luck and stayed or given up and moved on.

We know plenty of middle-aged people with ooodles of qualifications and experience who have to take min wage jobs as no one will give them a chance and an equal amount of 20 somethings who's dads mate, neighbor or whatever got them a job and now they are earning big bucks.

NS is desperate to have people move here but unless the attitudes of the big companies changes with regards to hiring no one's going to stick around.

Siouxie Jan 19th 2021 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Loraine 1 (Post 12960997)
Thanks guys for your reply's.

Many times hubby has applied for jobs that he's qualified for, got loads of industry experience and could do the job standing on his head. Yet, it's gone to a friend of the person hiring. It's heartbreaking watching him go through the process of applying, calls, interviews, 2nd interviews etc.. only to get nowhere as he doesn't know the right person. They will take you down the garden path as they have to and then offer the job to the person they were going to hire all along. It does happen this way in the UK sometimes but it's ALL the time here. If your not able to network or haven't built the right network you've got next to no chance.

I was super lucky as my employer offered me my job while we were on vacay and they brought me over. The company I work for is great and super supportive but if hubby doesn't settle and continues to do a low paying job that he hates then a move is the only option other than going back to the UK and neither of us want that.

That's a Canada wide thing - though possibly more prevalent in the Atlantic Provinces, they have to show they have interviewed / shown interest in others - and that it's just a coincidence that their relative happens to be the best candidate! I have family members who have had the same thing happen in Ontario - though in that case they were bringing in a relative from Alberta to rejoin th family, despite their lack of comparative experience and qualifications.. it's frustrating indeed. It's common knowledge that Canada is all about networking and 'it's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know!'

What is it your husband does for a living? Have you explored the potential for jobs in other Provinces for him? Perhaps he could make the move a bit earlier if he was successful in obtaining a position - then you could move a lttle later (as the Lead Applicant of the original PNP application).. :)

Loraine 1 Jan 19th 2021 7:46 pm

Thanks Siouxie. I really appreciate your input and advice.

He's a Data Analyst. In the UK he worked for the same massive company for over 20 years. Since being here he's done all kinds of online courses to get a many certificate as possible and though he get a lot of 'yeah your what we're looking for, we'll call you back' nothing comes of it. He's not the best at networking it has to be said though. He has been applying out of province and I think right now if he got a job offer in the back of beyond he'd go!

I hate being a downer. I can promise that this isn't me normally but lately NS just doesn't seem to working out for us.

One thing I have heard here and I don't know if it's Canada wide or not is how easy someone can fired. I know someone who'd worked for a company for a few years and one Monday the boss came in and said that they were downsizing and she was out, that Friday was her last day. No one that I've spoken to here seemed surprised either. Has anyone else heard of or experienced this in NS or any other province?

Siouxie Jan 19th 2021 10:35 pm

There is ZERO job security in Canada - you will get severance pay etc., if you are laid off / fired (without cause) if you have worked there long enough, but they can let you go at any time especially during the first 3 months without reason or cause using the wonderful term "not a good fit" / "downsizing" / "cutbacks". I have seen it happen many times to family and friends - both Brits and Canadians! Some employers are better than others and will do their utmost to retain their staff, despite downsizing / cutbacks - others will let all those that they don't get along with go and retain the few that doff their caps / kiss their arses! :D

Perhaps he could work remotely for the time being? That might give him the opportunity to gain the Canada experience and build a network ?
https://www.workopolis.com/jobsearch...Ol6y6mrPVXFztQ
Has he checked out LinkedIn jobs? https://ca.linkedin.com/jobs/data-an...on=1&pageNum=0

cxx Jan 19th 2021 11:00 pm

Zero job security unless you are related to the employer, then you'll never get fired no matter how bad you are. I think it's worse in the Maritimes because so many people are related.

DandNHill Jan 20th 2021 3:41 am

Hello. We lived for three years in NS and then in 2014 moved to ON. We loved NS but the opportunities were just not there for my hubby. Fast forward to 2021 and life is a blast here in Hamilton, NS.

We still miss some of the laid back things about NS but ultimately we need to earn money and so here we are. We've built a great network here and I truly believe we're here for good.

Good luck with your plans

Atlantic Xpat Jan 20th 2021 2:47 pm

I'm sorry you are not enjoying NS & perhaps a move elsewhere might change things for the better. I smiled wryly to myself on the cost of living comments as I find NS (when I visit) cheaper for groceries than Newfoundland, but not of course as cheap as Ontario or elsewhere.

I actually believe that the pandemic will lead to migration to the Maritimes/Atlantic Canada. It has proven that remote working/working from home is entirely possible & that you don't necessarily need to be in Toronto (or pick another big city) to do that job. Indeed, I think provincial governments will start using that as an immigration/migration incentive. Why be stuck in a Condo in Toronto when you could be living the (relatively) covid free life in Atlantic Canada. As Siouxie suggests, your husband might look for an opportunity to work elsewhere but live where you are.

Finally, this thread caused me to dig out a news story I saw last year. U haul say most of the traffic they have seen in 2020 is people moving to Atlantic Canada rather than from it! https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...nada-1.5755500