Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Has anyone moved to Canada without ever visiting before?

Has anyone moved to Canada without ever visiting before?

Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone moved to Canada without ever visiting before?

Originally Posted by DandNHill
My newfie buries her nose in the snow and pushes it along. I think she wants to build a snowman but hasn't quite got the skill set
My boxer does that too... the kids are convinced he is smelling the snow.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lmartin999
In Canada?
Yep I've been there twice, once in 2000 and again in 2001
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chookie
Hmmm check out Calgary weather - for the last few weeks temperatures have been well above freezing - hardly cold at all. We were going out with just a sweater rather than a coat - and a couple of days could have even done without the sweater.

OK so it snowed today and the wind was blowing it around, but even that wasn't too bad.

Dont get me wrong, it does get cold here, but we also get chinooks that warm everything up, melt all the snow and turn it all to slush.

Plus in the summer it gets DAMN hot and sunny....
Yep hubby has an app thing on his phone that tells him the weather in Calgary every day

When I said we can't stand the sun I meant in a lie on a beach kind of way...who wants to lie there baking? I am a pro at finding shade!

Last edited by Geordie Lass; Jan 11th 2012 at 7:30 am. Reason: Typo
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chookie
My boxer does that too... the kids are convinced he is smelling the snow.
our lab does that... So funny - little snow tunnels everywhere!
Old Jan 11th 2012, 12:33 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
I'm sure there are loads. Check out the Moving Back To The UK forum.
as helpful as ever i see
Old Jan 11th 2012, 12:40 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irish_eyes
Well thats a great question!!! Canada was our first choice but OH is a kiwi so it was the lazy option to be honest as he knew how life was here so it made sense plus all his family are here so it was a chance to spend some time with them too.

The location of NZ is just rubbish. I have tried so hard to make it work here but my heart is just not in it and after 3.4 years here its time to get on with what we really want to be doing with our life. New Zealand is a beautiful place to live tho but its just so far away from the rest of the world and SOOOOOOO expensive to get to the rest of the world from here. Whilst I have got on with life here and enjoyed it the majority of the time, I cant help but wish I was somewhere else so trying to work out if Canada could be the place. I know for certain its not New Zealand. Where abouts in Canada are you looking at?
given that you want to be closer to home then eastern canada would make more sense. Which is close to half the time to travel from than the west coast where I am (7 hours vs 12??).

I moved here having been a couple of times as a tourist with no idea that i may move here. I met a Canadian from here (vancouver) a few years later by chance and thought it might not be a bad move....and it was a good choice. I do remember that my previous visits did not prepare me for day to day life....i don't really get the culture shock thing, somethings are alien, others just plain odd, but it's hardly like moving to cairo.

As noted already, work and housing costs will be massive considerations. Reccie trips are a good idea as long as you visit in winter, scope out non touristy areas and even maybe go and speak with employers. Most other things such as housing costs, cost of car insurance etc can be figured out on-line.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

lulu995 is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved to canada having never visited before, turned out fine
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:54 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

We have been here for just over a year now, having never set foot in Canada before. It all happened too quickly for us (job offer out of the blue) to do a recce so we just went for it! However we did a massive amount of research and talking to people, both expats and Canadians. We were over the moon at the opportunity and couldn't see the point in wasting relocation money on a "holiday" just 3 months before OH's job started.

Many thought we were mad, some thought brave, a couple were incredibly negative, most however were very supportive (albeit ever so slightly jealous)

Absolutely no regrets. Although Alberta would probably not have been our first choice (hubby is ex Royal Navy, lol) we are really happy here.

One year on and life couldn't be better. We love our life here, the kids are all settled into school, hubby loves his job and works for a great company.

We still come across difficulties, who doesn't. But at the end of the day life is what you make it and everyday is still an adventure for us.

Roll on PR in 2012
Old Jan 12th 2012, 12:56 am
Banned

Originally Posted by snowcandy
We have been here for just over a year now, having never set foot in Canada before. It all happened too quickly for us (job offer out of the blue) to do a recce so we just went for it! However we did a massive amount of research and talking to people, both expats and Canadians. We were over the moon at the opportunity and couldn't see the point in wasting relocation money on a "holiday" just 3 months before OH's job started.

Many thought we were mad, some thought brave, a couple were incredibly negative, most however were very supportive (albeit ever so slightly jealous)

Absolutely no regrets. Although Alberta would probably not have been our first choice (hubby is ex Royal Navy, lol) we are really happy here.

One year on and life couldn't be better. We love our life here, the kids are all settled into school, hubby loves his job and works for a great company.

We still come across difficulties, who doesn't. But at the end of the day life is what you make it and everyday is still an adventure for us.

Roll on PR in 2012
i am also an ex-matlowe........
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:48 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
In Canada?
They did open the bar in my lobby!
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:50 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irish_eyes
Just wondering if anyone has moved to Canada before without doing a recce trip or holidays? I have been twice before but have no real concept of what its like now as I was there back in early 2001 so lots will have changed I guess. I know that you wont really get a proper feel for things unless you actually live there.

We are in the planning stages still but because we live in New Zealand its going to take a massive chunk out of our money to go and 'visit'. So would love to hear from anyone that just picked a part of Canada and moved there......
I've never been to New Zealend but I've heard it is similar to parts of Canada.

What are your reasons for wanting out of New Zealend? Could you try another part?
Old Jan 12th 2012, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JamesM
I've never been to New Zealend but I've heard it is similar to parts of Canada.

What are your reasons for wanting out of New Zealend? Could you try another part?
No we dont want to try any other parts of NZ, the location of it in the world is just not working for us and although things havent exactly turned out bad, we have decided to go to Canada, which was first on our list to begin with when we originally decided to move. There are various other reasons why we are leaving but thats a hole different thread in itself

Last edited by irish_eyes; Jan 12th 2012 at 6:12 am. Reason: spelling = my bad
Old Jan 13th 2012, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Ameorko is an unknown quantity at this point

We did it with no reci trip or even a holiday to Canada.
A friend had lived there for 2yrs, was home for christmas and said there is work there if you want it, as hubby's job is in demand there. We had 2 kids at the time ages 2 & 4yrs old. Thought why not, got nothing to loose, kids are still young and if it doesn't work out we can come back. My hubby was working all the hrs he could just to make ends meet and over there he wouldn't have to work any weekend or late nights and more money.
6 months later we sold everything and come over with 4 suit cases. 3 1/2 yrs later we still love it, have a great house, good car and a great life with a now 3 kids!

Could not move back now at all!
Old Jan 13th 2012, 5:58 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I could not live in Alberta, I just couldn't cope with the weather.
I hear this from BCers a lot, and I suppose I shouldn't disagree with it because it keeps the property prices down, but honestly I think the weather is better in southern Alberta than BC. Calgary is a very sunny city, 330 days a year, BC has much more overcast weather. I thought about moving to Kelowna at one point but it just seems to be permanently overcast. Lower mainland BC and Vancouver Island are not quite as bad, but they get way more rain.

Given the choice between being cold and wet, I choose cold.

Where BC has an advantage with the weather (which is often overlooked) is humidity. During the winter Alberta is very, very dry, so if you have eczema for example, you do not want to move to Alberta.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 6:00 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I think anyone who moves to Canada with checking it out first is making a mistake.

I have a relative who moved to Moose Jaw without ever visiting Canada and she hated it and they moved back to the UK after less than a year. That was dumb.

Plus a relative of a friend of mine moved to Winnipeg, they can't stand it although they're willing to put up with it because of work. Once again, they'd never stepped foot in Canada previously.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.