Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone here shipped a mattress from UK to Canada Recently?

Has Anyone here shipped a mattress from UK to Canada Recently?

Old Jun 25th 2018, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Justlanded2018 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has Anyone here shipped a mattress from UK to Canada Recently?

The reason I ask is because we had bought 2 hypnos mattresses 6 months before we decided to pack up and make the big move.
in total it cost us around £1200 for both of them and I'm hoping to ship/ air freight them for way less than buying new ones here ( which I'm yet to see my preference).

please share your experiences / challenges if you have in the past, what companies you used and Just general advice on how I can cross this hurdle.

thanking everyone in advance for your usual generous help.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 11:00 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone here shipped a mattress from UK to Canada Recently?

You'd need to ship the beds too because Canadian beds aren't the same size.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 1:53 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

If you bring beds, bring sheets etc. They are a different size in Canada.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 3:46 pm
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Double beds are the same size on both sides of the pond apparently, but the rest are different:

https://www.uk-yankee.com/expat-guid...ds-and-bedding
Old Jun 25th 2018, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

I know of no-one personally who has a double bed. All have at least a Queen or twins (King) Double beds are mainly used, I think, in old style motel rooms where there’s usually two double beds in the room
Old Jun 25th 2018, 9:38 pm
Moving to Mississauga!

ScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond repute

God I hadn’t thought about that - so no point bringing beds and sheets from UK? Might as well buy new in Canada?
Old Jun 26th 2018, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

We actually have a double bed that we bought back in 1968. We bought it in Vancouver from a Danish furniture store, back in the day when teak was popular.

The problem is that all their furniture was imported from Denmark or other Scandinavian countries, so it has wood slats as the base, and is wider and longer than North American double beds. When we buy a new mattress, we have to pay extra for an extra long one, but can do nothing about the 2" or so that it is lacking in width.

I buy double fitted sheets with extra deep pockets to get the necessary length and width but queen flat sheets.

Extra long mattresses and beds are found here ............. twin beds in university residences are often extra long (think those football and basketball players!). If your child goes into a residence where you have to provide the sheets, be prepared to have to search to find extra long sheets!.
Old Jun 29th 2018, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

pquick is an unknown quantity at this point

King size bedding from uk fits a queen size bed here. I use them here and now
Old Jul 29th 2018, 5:17 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotinCanada
God I hadn’t thought about that - so no point bringing beds and sheets from UK? Might as well buy new in Canada?
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Bed_Sizes-Canada
A UK King is the same size as a Canadian Queen. (60" x 80").. but the biggest issue you may find is that mattresses here tend to be somewhat deeper - resulting in sheets from the UK not always fitting terribly well on Canadian mattresses. Twin beds are larger (longer) here, but as has been mentioned, doubles seem to be a standard size - although they are called 'full' here..

If you've a good bed then bring it - and some spare sheets to tide you over until you can source some here! I've found Walmart Microfibre sheets are pretty good (and not too expensive) - though I do find that decent duvets and duvet covers can be a bit pricey - so might be worth buying a couple of each before you come -- or Amazon.ca can also be a good source for sheets / duvet covers - unless you want to pay lots of money for high quality ones, of course! Oh - and duvets don't have 'tog' ratings here.

Edited to add - this Amazon sheet set comes in various sizes, so you can check the dimensions for each (and they are not bad sheets, my son has them). https://www.amazon.ca/AmazonBasics-Microfiber-Sheet-Set-Queen/dp/B00Q7OAN50/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1532842151&sr=8-3&keywords=sheets%2Bqueen%2Bsize&th=1If you decide that you need to order a reasonable amount of stuff from Amazon, it's worth getting the 1 month free trail of 'prime' - fast shipping, mostly free.. plus free tv/movies /music etc.. annual membership is around $70 and I've found it worth paying for, as I order tons of stuff from them (including the odd bit of Brit groceries/treats for friend), particularly around christmas, and the shipping adds up! https://www.amazon.ca/amazonprime?_encoding=UTF8&ref=nav_prime_try_btn

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 29th 2018 at 5:35 am.
Old Jul 29th 2018, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I now buy sheets and duvet covers from IKEA............. their "expensive" cotton sheets suit us just fine, and they last and last!!

I have 2 IKEA full/queen duvet covers that I bought fro my daughter back in the mid 1990s, and that we now use on our bed and they are going strong .................. I might have to buy new, just for a change!!!!
Old Jul 29th 2018, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

If you are bringing a container full of stuff then just bring them anyway. It’ll make no difference in the scheme of things. Bring your bedding and maybe a spare set of sheets and that’ll keep you going for a while.

We brought a new UK king bed with us. It did us for a couple of years then we got a Canadian King. Our old UK bed is still our spare guest bed. It’s still good.

We bought new Ikea kids beds when we arrived. Did us fine for about 8 years. They kept growing ( the kids) so they now have a queen each which they can take with them when they leave home.

On the other hand , if you’re not bringing much with you, shipping the beds might prove expensive. But mattress shopping here is weird so save yourself some hassle if you can.