Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

has anyone had to sit the red seal exam?

has anyone had to sit the red seal exam?

Old Nov 14th 2008, 9:18 am
Just Joined

krissi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default has anyone had to sit the red seal exam?

from my research already i think my fiance will ahve to sit the red seal exam before we go. he is an electrician. you can sit htis exam before going...am i right?
thanks krissi
Old Nov 14th 2008, 10:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: has anyone had to sit the red seal exam?

Hi Krissi,

I know that this has been discussed many times before so do a quick search (top right of forum) and you'll probably find the answer to your questions about it.

Or I think there is a Wiki article about it?

Good luck.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

dogman scotland is a name known to alldogman scotland is a name known to alldogman scotland is a name known to alldogman scotland is a name known to alldogman scotland is a name known to alldogman scotland is a name known to alldogman scotland is a name known to alldogman scotland is a name known to alldogman scotland is a name known to alldogman scotland is a name known to alldogman scotland is a name known to all
Default Re: has anyone had to sit the red seal exam?

Hi Krissi

I just sat the Red Seal exam for an auto mechanic and passed, don't know where you're planning to go but I had a good experience of going through the process in Belleville, Ontario, I found the people at the office very friendly and helpful.

As far as I'm aware you can't sit the test anywhere other than Canada, you first have to have your OH credentials examined and prove he has worked approx 9500 hours in the trade after apprenticeship to gain permission to do the test, I done this by sending PDF copies via email of all my certificates and references to the training officer there, I got previous employers to do fresh references stating clearly the job title, duties, exact dates when employed and approx amount of hours worked, it was then a case of booking a time for the test and letting the training officer see my original certs and references before being allowed to go in for the test. This is where I got my info from http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/training/foreign.html but it may be different for you if you're going somewhere other than Ontario.

I found this site good for practicing for the test http://trades.exambank.com/index.html the questions aren't the same as the test questions but laid out in a similar manner, they are as close as you're going to get, you do have to pay for them though.

Hope this helps, good luck.