Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Has anyone emigrated to Canada by boat (recently)?

Wikiposts

Has anyone emigrated to Canada by boat (recently)?

Old Apr 30th 2012, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

edgardavids76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has anyone emigrated to Canada by boat (recently)?

I want to know if anyone has travelled to Canada (east) by boat.
I don't mean a fancy cruise liner. I've heard that some freighters take passengers. If the cost is not too much more than flights then I'd be keen to do it. Got some free time coming up and seems like a fun way to emigrate.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone emigrated to Canada by boat (recently)?

Originally Posted by edgardavids76
I don't mean a fancy cruise liner. I've heard that some freighters take passengers.
I don't know whether it's true, but I've heard that freighters that still take passengers often charge more than a fancy cruise liner these days.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:29 am
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MarkG
I don't know whether it's true, but I've heard that freighters that still take passengers often charge more than a fancy cruise liner these days.
it is true, and if the commercial ship has to detour, your hard luck. If there is a delay, unlucky, and if it is via Rio DJ and it takes 4 weeks, so be it. You get the use of the owners cabin, which will be plush, if you are lucky, i suspect it would be a lonely trip, those on the ship are working, not entertaining. Consider Cunard or fly for the conveinience, afterall, you have waited two years to go and start a life in Canada, why not get on with it!
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

edgardavids76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for advice. Don't need entertaining, but would prefer not to have to many detours. Will check Cunard or fly. Not that flying is convenient or pleasant these days...
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

deltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond repute

I was so surprised to see the title of this thread! My husband and I are seriously thinking of travelling on a boat from England to BC. Our own boat though!
Taking the Viking Route and the canal....
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:36 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for advice. Don't need entertaining, but would prefer not to have to many detours. Will check Cunard or fly. Not that flying is convenient or pleasant these days...
But at least its over and done with in 24hrs.

Ive seen too many Michael Palin trips to want to travel by tramp steamer

Of course, if you are on a "no fly" list you might not have any choice
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:36 am
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by deltadeliquent
I was so surprised to see the title of this thread! My husband and I are seriously thinking of travelling on a boat from England to BC. Our own boat though!
Very adventurous.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:40 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deltadeliquent
Do you have room for a passenger
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Not that flying is convenient or pleasant these days...
The Air Canada executive class 'pods' are pretty nice; though they probably cost more than a cruise liner ticket and you still have to get through Heathrow first.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

susieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant future

The Cruise People are one of the main companies booking passage on freight trips. Seems there's a new service to Montreal, but you'll have to get a flight to Lisbon first.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 8:16 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
The Air Canada executive class 'pods' are pretty nice; though they probably cost more than a cruise liner ticket and you still have to get through Heathrow first.
Did the pod thing last night from Halifax to London using my e-upgrade credits. Nice to be able to stretch out fully and get some sleep for a change!
Old Apr 30th 2012, 8:44 am
Just Joined

bdmceng is an unknown quantity at this point

This maybe isn't a lot of help because I can't remember the name of the company, but in recent times there was a RoRo ferry from Southampton - Halifax - East coast USA - Europe - Southampton, I was looking at a round the world by motorbike and the cost for myself wasn't desperate IIRC, dearer than flying, about 1000 dollars canadian from memory. A quick search on t'internet might reveal whether they still exist. I seem to remember the voyage took about a week (to Halifax).
Old Apr 30th 2012, 3:18 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

These guys did it a few years ago
http://www.library.ubc.ca/asian/Fina...nada/B-04.html
Old Apr 30th 2012, 8:32 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

These people in the UK are quite well known. (I have no personal experience): http://www.strandtravelltd.co.uk/voy...ns-and-prices/

The chance of being diverted to another destination are minimal if you are on a scheduled, liner route - e.g. container/roro. These vessels run a very fixed schedule.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 8:51 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I went on a container ship from Bristol to Ashdod some years back with Grimaldi Siossa, I wanted to take my car and my Springer Spaniel and I had the time. I enjoyed it as I was studying, so for ten weeks I just read - and regrettably ate, I waddled offshore three stone heavier. I didn't speak much Italian, nor the crew much English and I was the only passenger on a busy working ship, there were no passenger facilities, and it certainly it wasnt a cruise.I did it some time later from Dubai too. I contacted all of the container and shipping companies direct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.