Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Has anyone been sponsered/gained PR without a degree?

Wikiposts

Has anyone been sponsered/gained PR without a degree?

Old Apr 26th 2013, 5:55 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone been sponsered/gained PR without a degree?

Originally Posted by scribe123
Now I have been in my industry about 14 years, I can honestly say only about 5% of my degree (if that) has been any use.

I can see some people getting 'life experience' from being away from mummy and daddy, but I've basically looked after myself since my very early teens so that doesn't count in my case.

Sad thing is I would have struggled to get my foot on the ladder in my chosen occupation without my degree...... and the many, many, many thousands of pounds of debt I racked up in the process....... but a lot of that went on beer...... and I started university owning only one CD and left with 250.... perhaps I could have been a bit more frugal, but I had a good time

That's the point isn't it. Degrees are more of entrance ticket. It the process of getting in and through thats of value.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Oink
That's the point isn't it. Degrees are more of entrance ticket. It the process of getting in and through thats of value.
You are correct of course, but really that's all it is; a ticket.

On the education side it wasn't anything I couldn't have gained with £2.47 worth of late fees from the library. For all I learned that was of any use, they may as well have given me a degree in "having a good time for 3 years".
Old Apr 26th 2013, 6:12 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scribe123
You are correct of course, but really that's all it is; a ticket.

On the education side it wasn't anything I couldn't have gained with £2.47 worth of late fees from the library. For all I learned that was of any use, they may as well have given me a degree in "having a good time for 3 years".
I thin education, especially at the higher levels is difficult to recognize in oneself but, depending on the institution, program and tutor one gains a certain amount of discipline and rigour when it comes to certain skills. And of course, in general, those with higher education earn more money over the course of their lives.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I think with a year of Canadian work experience, that can give you enough points to compensate for not having a degree. Not 100% sure though, it's been a while since I looked at how it's calculated.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 9:26 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I came here with no degree and landed on my feet.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Aviator
I came here with no degree and landed on my feet.
I'd think with a few notable exceptions, I doubt people with degrees are the most likely to want emigrate to somewhere like Canada or Australia. If you're successful and happy in the UK why would you leave?
Old Apr 26th 2013, 10:09 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed

Even looking at the wider population, Canada and the UK actually have similar university completion rates of just under 30% (which is the percentage of the population aged 25-64 with a university degree). Norway is the international leader with 35%. Again, far from being "almost everyone".
So what has the percentage of the various populations between 25 and 64 got to do with now?

When the 64 yr olds were 25, the proportion was more like 8%. Now it's more like 50% in all those countries and that only includes universities, not other forms of tertiary education.

Today an undergrad degree is equivalent to a high school diploma 40 years ago.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
So what has the percentage of the various populations between 25 and 64 got to do with now?

When the 64 yr olds were 25, the proportion was more like 8%. Now it's more like 50% in all those countries and that only includes universities, not other forms of tertiary education.

Today an undergrad degree is equivalent to a high school diploma 40 years ago.
That's an indicator of the current working population.

Even just looking at recent grads, the number is nowhere near 50%. As I said, about a third of young people are now obtaining degrees in Canada and the UK.

Either way, none of the numbers suggest that "almost everyone" in the UK has a degree.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 11:52 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

That's an indicator of the current working population.

Even just looking at recent grads, the number is nowhere near 50%. As I said, about a third of young people are now obtaining degrees in Canada and the UK.

Either way, none of the numbers suggest that "almost everyone" in the UK has a degree.
80% seems appropriate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11438140
Old Apr 26th 2013, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Did you even read this?

"According to this measure, there are now 30% of men and 40% of women in each year group in the UK leaving with degrees. It's not that the UK has fewer graduates, the number has risen year after year - it's that the number has not increased as rapidly as other industrial nations. The UK has been overtaken by countries such as Poland, Portugal, the Netherlands, Ireland, Sweden, the Czech Republic and Denmark."

As I said, overall about a third (35%) of young people in the UK are obtaining degrees.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 1:08 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I'd think with a few notable exceptions, I doubt people with degrees are the most likely to want emigrate to somewhere like Canada or Australia. If you're successful and happy in the UK why would you leave?
Change for the sake of change. My job in the UK was not any different to my job in Canada, same office, same pay, similar routes. I was in the UK as much if not more after I moved to Canada than before I left.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 3:01 pm
Born again atheist

Did you even read this?

"According to this measure, there are now 30% of men and 40% of women in each year group in the UK leaving with degrees. It's not that the UK has fewer graduates, the number has risen year after year - it's that the number has not increased as rapidly as other industrial nations. The UK has been overtaken by countries such as Poland, Portugal, the Netherlands, Ireland, Sweden, the Czech Republic and Denmark."

As I said, overall about a third (35%) of young people in the UK are obtaining degrees.
Yes I read it. It says that somewhere between 5% (Luxembourg) and 70% (Finland) of young people graduate from University. Add in the other tertiary options and I think you have "most", if not "almost everyone", just almost everyone who isn't a moron.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 4:48 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I read it. It says that somewhere between 5% (Luxembourg) and 70% (Finland) of young people graduate from University. Add in the other tertiary options and I think you have "most", if not "almost everyone", just almost everyone who isn't a moron.
Did you accidentally post something that could be taken as a slight against Canada?
Old Apr 26th 2013, 7:22 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe some one could do a poll for us ExPats - what level of edumacation did you gain , plus partner (if you have one).

I would do it but:
a) I cba
b) Town Planning pre computers doesnt help in setting up polls
c) I cba