British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Hammonds plains to Halifax (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/hammonds-plains-halifax-583620/)

Tommyboy17 Jan 12th 2009 12:14 pm

Hammonds plains to Halifax

Hey

Anyone live in the Hammonds Plains area of NS?

Whats the morning commute like into downtown halifax?

Currently live in the city but would like to move slightly furthe out in the first half of the year.

Cheers

Sockdogg Jan 12th 2009 12:34 pm

Re: Hammonds plains to Halifax

Hi,

I live near Hubbards on the south shore, so I cant speak for Hammonds Plain commute times, but just wanted to mention that Hammonds Plains road is the worth road I've driven on in the winter since being in Canada.

Its absolutely treacherous. I drive along the 103 to work, and thats bad, but I avoid Hammonds Plains road whenever possible.

Tommyboy17 Jan 12th 2009 12:42 pm

Hmmm,

Not something I had thought about but definatly worth bearing mind.

Cheers

val50 Jan 12th 2009 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Tommyboy17 (Post 7156326)
Hmmm,

Not something I had thought about but definatly worth bearing mind.

Cheers

We are in Bedford, near Hammonds Plains Road.
Which end are you looking at - that close to 102 or 103?
There are some really lovely houses in Hammonds Plains, but main problem is access. Most of Hammonds Plains Road is single carriageway so you get long queues, morning and evening. If you can leave before 7 am and get home after 6 pm it probably wouldn't be too bad though
Agree with pp that it is a really bad road. They have been doing major road works for ages along there, and it is not a nice drive.

Tuppence Jan 12th 2009 2:33 pm

I agree with what others have said - there is often a crash on Hammonds Plains Road. I'm sure there have been a few fatals there too. Lots of traffic, and horrible in bad weather.

LiffyB Jan 12th 2009 6:01 pm

I was out last May looking at houses in the Hammonds Plain area having previously lived just off it (Brookshire - by the over pass). Our old neighbours who still live in Brookshire told me that it is a nightmare - particularly crossing over the road - so if you live on a side where you need to cross the traffic to make the commute it's going to be a problem.

We decided against it in the end too much traffic - and once the RIM is up and fully operational its going to get even busier. In the end we thought that Fall River was a better option (appologies for those already living there - I know you don't want it to turn into Little Britain).

Tommyboy17 Jan 12th 2009 6:08 pm

Thanks for all the comments folks, certainly food for thought. I hope to have a car sorted in the next 2 weeks and will be able to see them properly as I have only driven through them when we ahev had a hire car and not thinking about them as places to live.

What is the RIM?

EDIT
Ok googled it out and I'm not as daft as first thought because it is to do with Research in Motion. I'll read more about its location etc, cheers for the heads up