Hamilton

Old Dec 9th 2019, 10:16 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hamilton

Originally Posted by Ryola2014
Jeeeesus you guys are totally putting me off driving in Canada full stop! I’ve had my driving licence since 2006 but if I don’t know the roads, which lane to be in etc I freak out. This is honestly my main concern about moving to Canada. I don’t know what to do ������
Don't worry the vast majority of Canadian residents are in exactly the same situation!

I have driven in some pretty dodgy places, in some less than ideal countries but the only time I’ve been really worried was when leaving Toronto airport. Airports by their very nature are confusing - if you don’t work there or visit regularly you are guaranteed to get lost. I wasn’t happy in Calgary airport either...

Don’t come for what is a potentially life changing visit and start off with a white knuckle journey that’s going to put you off. I think the limo idea is super.

Driving in Canada is not the best thing about the place, but nor is it the worst, it is just different - it’s rare that Canadians are ever rude or aggressive to each other on the roads which goes a long way to helping you get used to the routes.

Very best of luck

Last edited by MillieF; Dec 9th 2019 at 10:20 am.
Old Dec 9th 2019, 11:45 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Pedantic mode on

https://goo.gl/maps/KEns4PT15ov6PNBz7

I think you're getting your 400 series highways mixed up. It would be 409 to 427 southbound wouldn't it.

Personally, if I had the time, I'd take the 409/427/401 WB to Hwy 6 which leads SB to Guelph. That avoids the stop and go traffic often in Oakville/Burlington.

I don't think the volume of traffic on the highways listed is any less than in the commuter areas around London or other big cities in the UK. Generally lanes are a bit wider as are the cars, but the points about lane etiquette, undertaking. poor signalling are all true.

Has the poster ever driven in a car with a steering wheel on the left or an automatic transmission or in snow conditions ?
I meant the 410 but I expect one could equally well be lost, frightened, and threatened by other drivers on the 409. If one wanted the 401WB then there's direct access to it from the airport, one could then take highway 6 north to Guelph, if one were going to Guelph or south if one wanted Hamilton. I don't think there's any point in trying to choose which road one would take out of the airport, it's spaghetti, poorly signposted and always dug up I'm just glad to be out of that airport with arrangements made for my lost bags to follow.

Still, we've addressed this, the OP shouldn't try it but should take a limo or similar, driving is much easier in the rest of Ontario especially when less tired and no longer enraged by the idiocy of the Toronto airport administration.
Old Dec 9th 2019, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that the drive from Toronto to Hamilton is very stressful. Unless maybe at 3am.

i live in Hamilton. If you need any help figuring anything out please let me know. There’s lots to explore within an easy drive of Hamilton or you can even hop on the train to Toronto. We even have a friendly group of Brits we can rally to share their experiences living here.

Good luck and hopefully we see you this side of the pond.
Old Dec 9th 2019, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I'm honestly really not understanding all this "driving in the GTHA is stressful" vibe. IMHO, driving anywhere in Canada is much easier than driving in the UK. Most cars in Canada are automatic transmission and the roads are wider than those in the UK. I recently came back from a trip to the UK which had me driving in Edinburgh and various parts of Greater Manchester. I was driving a car with manual transmission on narrow roads with double-parked vehicles, double-decker buses, big lorries, confusing roundabouts, etc. I think that driving in and around Toronto is a piece of cake in comparison - unless you're trying to drive in really bad winter conditions.
Old Dec 9th 2019, 1:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I'm honestly really not understanding all this "driving in the GTHA is stressful" vibe. IMHO, driving anywhere in Canada is much easier than driving in the UK. Most cars in Canada are automatic transmission and the roads are wider than those in the UK. I recently came back from a trip to the UK which had me driving in Edinburgh and various parts of Greater Manchester. I was driving a car with manual transmission on narrow roads with double-parked vehicles, double-decker buses, big lorries, confusing roundabouts, etc. I think that driving in and around Toronto is a piece of cake in comparison - unless you're trying to drive in really bad winter conditions.
Doesn't the automatic make it more difficult? All that stabbing at the pedal that isn't there, no ability to slow the car down when it's icy. I don't think it's the worst aspect of the experience but it doesn't help.
Old Dec 9th 2019, 1:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
IMO driving around the GTA vs US vs UK...it’s different. My main criticism of drivers here is how they overtake on both sides, weaving in and out, often at speed, often across 3 to 4 lanes of traffic. Is it that they are not aware there are any other vehicles on the road, are they just plain stupid, or do they have a death wish?

If the OP is not confident driving in Ontario, then I agree with others, take a cab/UBER. Driving from most large airports is confusing, especially if it is your first time driving on the left.
Old Dec 9th 2019, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute

My experience of driving in the GTA vs the UK is that **most** drivers in the UK seem to understand that there is only so much space and lots of cars and they make adjustments to what they are doing to help traffic flow. In the GTA, the main approach seems to be that the objective is to treat the highway system as a personal asset. With bonus points for playing hide and seek by using other vehicles' blind spots.
Old Dec 9th 2019, 6:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Hi guys, not sure if I’ve posted to the right place. Please let me know if I haven’t. We are family of four, myself, Husband and our 2 kids (4 & 8) We want to go to Hamilton next July for a holiday & for a look around to see if it is somewhere we would consider emigrating to. I’m always changing my mind about emigrating so I guess I need to see and experience it first! Could you suggest any good place to stay for a few weeks holiday with kids and what recommend activities do you know of. Also I’m scared of driving in Canada, this is one of the reasons I doubt the move. Would it be advisable to book a car hire from the airport to accommodation? I’m not sure if to just book a transfer first, then get a car and have a practise driving about a bit first in some quiet streets? What do you think? Thanks Nicola.
Moving on from the driving issue. Why Hamilton? That's rather like someone emigrating to England wanting to have a look at Sheffield.
Old Dec 9th 2019, 7:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Moving on from the driving issue. Why Hamilton? That's rather like someone emigrating to England wanting to have a look at Sheffield.
What’s wrong with Sheffield?
Old Dec 9th 2019, 7:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What’s wrong with Sheffield?
Nothing more or less than is wrong with Hamilton.
Old Dec 9th 2019, 7:20 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
We can't all live an idyllic life out in the boonies.. as Cities go there is nothing wrong with Hamilton! ;p
Old Dec 9th 2019, 7:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Siouxie
We can't all live an idyllic life out in the boonies.. as Cities go there is nothing wrong with Hamilton! ;p
I haven't said there is anything wrong with Hamilton except the look of it from the QEW. I expect it has most modern conveniences, the sort of thing one does not find in the country; snow clearance, mains water, stuff like that. Still, why would people who aren't in Toronto have heard of it?
Old Dec 9th 2019, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

Ryola2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hamilton here is my reasons. So firstly from my research it said Toronto has the most Brits so I thought well there must be a good reason for that. My husband is a Tower & crawler crane driver so figured there might be opportunities for work for him. I’ve been led to believe that crane drivers are wanted.. Then I started looking on house prices we could potentially afford. Bear in mind my mortgage here in Leeds West Yorkshire is £82,000 less than £400 a month. I lived in Western Australia for a year and loved the spacious surroundings, the cleaner more modern buildings. The friendly people. The outdoors, parks and feeling safer. Crime in my area at the moment is awful. Teens smashing bus stops & shop windows virtually every night. People are nowhere to be seen. It’s like a lawless society here and the thugs know it. Due to budget cuts. Equally my kids primary school is constantly begging parents for money or trying to raise money. Parents have to send in craft materials and books.. There is no money again due to cuts. I’m just unsatisfied with life here. I love my family although my parents are crap so there will be no loss there but just want better for my kids. Surely Hamilton is better than where I live with kids getting pissed up outside shops and houses been broke into virtually every night!
Old Dec 9th 2019, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Ryola2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

*police
Old Dec 9th 2019, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

*police
I don't claim to be much of a Hamilton expert but areas near McMaster University are nice but I think based on your descriptions that is about as 'urban' as you would prefer. Areas like Stoney Creek or shudder shudder Binbrook may fit your preferences. My sister and brother in law live there and Binbrook isn't my favourite but to each their own and I gather the schools are good and I haven't seen many chav like critters hanging out at the Tim Horton's or passing around 3 litre bottles of cider at night..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.