British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   halloween info (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/halloween-info-690308/)

gaz77 Oct 20th 2010 10:42 am

halloween info

hi we are landing on saturday but returning next week to settle everthing.we are taking our two young kids with us. i was wondering if any one could give us some ideas on what to do with the kids .we leave on the 31st but we are in and around the toronto area all week.we want to make it a fun trip for the kids besides running round after us all week .any ideas please!!thanks

dbd33 Oct 20th 2010 11:24 am

Re: halloween info

One stunt at this place scared the shit of me:

The Haunted Adventure

Where: Magic Hill Farm, 13953 Ninth Line, Stouffville

When: Oct. 2–31. Weekends from dark until 11 p.m.

Cost: $19-$34 adults, $14-$23 children (8-11 years)

Now in its 19th year, the Haunted Adventure drags you into new depths of hell. Grisly creatures are dying for your presence in the Black Cavern, the Haunted Barn and along the Terror Trek Trail.

gaz77 Oct 20th 2010 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 8930720)
One stunt at this place scared the shit of me:

The Haunted Adventure

Where: Magic Hill Farm, 13953 Ninth Line, Stouffville

When: Oct. 2–31. Weekends from dark until 11 p.m.

Cost: $19-$34 adults, $14-$23 children (8-11 years)

Now in its 19th year, the Haunted Adventure drags you into new depths of hell. Grisly creatures are dying for your presence in the Black Cavern, the Haunted Barn and along the Terror Trek Trail.

thanks is that ok for a 7 and 10 yr i dont want to scare 'em to death. now the wifes a diffrent thing!!

ireland2canada Oct 20th 2010 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by gaz77 (Post 8930596)
hi we are landing on saturday but returning next week to settle everthing.we are taking our two young kids with us. i was wondering if any one could give us some ideas on what to do with the kids .we leave on the 31st but we are in and around the toronto area all week.we want to make it a fun trip for the kids besides running round after us all week .any ideas please!!thanks

Ooooh, come to my neighbourhood! All the kid friendly (and adult friendly) fun you could want and it is free. The neighbourhood is Cabbagetown (closest intersection is Parliament & Carlton) most of the houses are decorated for Halloween, everyone really gets into it and on the nights around Halloween the streets are packed with people and kids all out looking at the decorations.

4Shores Oct 20th 2010 1:51 pm

[QUOTE=gaz77;8930596]hi we are landing on saturday but returning next week to settle everthing.

Hi

We are also landing in Toronto on Saturday - where are you flying from? We are going BA from Heathrow (with 2 kids of similar age) - maybe see you in Pearson! Good luck.

4Shores

4Shores Oct 20th 2010 1:57 pm

Hi ireland2canada

Cabbage Town - Very nice! We are going to look in your area or the Beach (or Beaches) whatever it is called now :-)

gaz77 Oct 20th 2010 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by 4Shores (Post 8931093)
Hi ireland2canada

Cabbage Town - Very nice! We are going to look in your area or the Beach (or Beaches) whatever it is called now :-)

i was in the beaches when you could afford to be their(1987 and evey year after that for 5 years) .i will be on queen next week havin a coffee and a bit of brecky at the sunset grill GR8.we are flyin from manchester what time do you get in?

gaz77 Oct 20th 2010 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by ireland2canada (Post 8931038)
Ooooh, come to my neighbourhood! All the kid friendly (and adult friendly) fun you could want and it is free. The neighbourhood is Cabbagetown (closest intersection is Parliament & Carlton) most of the houses are decorated for Halloween, everyone really gets into it and on the nights around Halloween the streets are packed with people and kids all out looking at the decorations.

hi do the kids just dress up on the 31st? that is the night we fly back.they are going to miss it all!

ireland2canada Oct 20th 2010 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by gaz77 (Post 8931249)
hi do the kids just dress up on the 31st? that is the night we fly back.they are going to miss it all!

I dunno, with Halloween being on the Sunday I imagine there wil be plenty of folk about on the Saturday evening too. Really, no-one will care if there are kids walking around in their Halloween stuff a day early....they may even score some terrible Canadian sweets. Which will be an important life lesson to them. The first house put up it's decorations yesterday, complete with fake grave stones in the garden.

dbd33 Oct 20th 2010 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by gaz77 (Post 8930891)
thanks is that ok for a 7 and 10 yr i dont want to scare 'em to death. now the wifes a diffrent thing!!

Yes, it's ideal for that age group.

dbd33 Oct 20th 2010 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by 4Shores (Post 8931093)
Hi ireland2canada

Beach.

If you'd like to venture a little north, there's a house on Pickering St where they have motion detectors, dry ice and sirens and one around the corner, on Swanwick west of Pickering where the householder swings down from a large tree, dressed as a ghoul and waves a running chainsaw. All the other houses on that block are decorated, I'd go for 8 or so and wander around until the kids are tired.

dbd33 Oct 20th 2010 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by gaz77 (Post 8931242)
a bit of brecky at the sunset grill

The Tulip has a much better breakfast at lower cost, if you can bear being parted from the agonizingly trendy.

4Shores Oct 20th 2010 4:06 pm

You selling?

dbd33 Oct 20th 2010 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by 4Shores (Post 8931317)
You selling?

Breakfast? Nah, get your own, you don't want my gnawed peameal.

4Shores Oct 20th 2010 4:31 pm

HaHa

Tell you what - fancy a G 'n' T at the Park Hyatt roof bar (first one my treat) on Thurs 28th?

purplemoose Oct 20th 2010 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by gaz77 (Post 8930596)

It's 'Boo at the Zoo' at Toronto Zoo while you are there. We took the kids to that a few years ago, they really enjoyed it and the great thing is that if they dress up, they get in free.

www.torontozoo.com/events/?pg=81

dbd33 Oct 20th 2010 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by 4Shores (Post 8931367)
HaHa

Tell you what - fancy a G 'n' T at the Park Hyatt roof bar (first one my treat) on Thurs 28th?

One small problem with that, on the 28th we're moving house. However, if you'd like to be introduced to the Canadian box carrying experience, I'm sure providing buckets of G n T would not present a problem.

Alternatively, I expect we'll be fed up with moving boxes by the 30th or so, something might then be arranged.

4Shores Oct 20th 2010 5:13 pm

nipping back to the uk on 31/10

drink still stands (for you and partner) - if you have an eve free - else next time :-)

dbd33 Oct 20th 2010 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by 4Shores (Post 8931437)
nipping back to the uk on 31/10

drink still stands (for you and partner) - if you have an eve free - else next time :-)

I don't think it'll work this time, thanks anyway, this move is likely to result in exhaustion. I expect my partner is around here somewhere, perhaps she'll think a social excursion is just what we'll need between loading and unloading but I rather doubt that!

gaz77 Oct 20th 2010 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 8931299)
The Tulip has a much better breakfast at lower cost, if you can bear being parted from the agonizingly trendy.

is that near woodbine?

ireland2canada Oct 20th 2010 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 8931474)
I don't think it'll work this time, thanks anyway, this move is likely to result in exhaustion. I expect my partner is around here somewhere, perhaps she'll think a social excursion is just what we'll need between loading and unloading but I rather doubt that!

Historically, "one drink" social excursions are never that. ;)

Originally Posted by gaz77 (Post 8931798)
is that near woodbine?

Queen & Coxwell. A great breakfast in an old fashioned diner. http://www.tulipsteakhouse.com/index.php

dbd33 Oct 20th 2010 9:55 pm

Halloween demands planning. Ideally, costumes that are original and obviously home made, costumes that allow for many layers underneath and the ability to walk. Then you need an affluent area with small houses close together, the Beach, at least the relatively poor parts of the Beach is ideal; as well as meeting the above criteria it has lots of film people who put on a show. Cabbagetown, I dunno, large gay presence, may not be great distributors of sweeties. Be aware though that competition in these areas is stiff, I typically got a couple of hundred kids at the door.

dbd33 Oct 20th 2010 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by ireland2canada (Post 8931846)
Historically, "one drink" social excursions are never that. ;)

So I've heard, a couple of posters go for a quiet beer and the next thing you know they're out together, mounted in public.