Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Haligonian/NS Meet up

Haligonian/NS Meet up

Old Apr 6th 2006, 1:19 pm
Banned

maple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nice
Default Re: Haligonian/NS Meet up

oh go boil your beaver!

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
unfortunately i can't make it as on sunday i'll be down at b&q (that's home deepoh to you folks)buying some 2x4s & 6-inch nails

i could try and arrange a video-conference if you feel you conversation may lag, after praising the virtues of the super-city

personally i would give the triangle a miss, as it's overpiced pseudo-irish tat
& the bands are crap - yet again only my opinion

how about boondocks-fisherman wharf -dartmouth side towards the airbase

you can watch the sewage accumulate from the deck, as you feast your eyes over the oh-so generic menu
Old Apr 6th 2006, 1:41 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

beaver snapped before leaving halifax

Old Apr 6th 2006, 1:43 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

unfortunately i can't make it as on sunday i'll be down at b&q (that's home deepoh to you folks)buying some 2x4s & 6-inch nails

i could try and arrange a video-conference if you feel you conversation may lag, after praising the virtues of the super-city

personally i would give the triangle a miss, as it's overpiced pseudo-irish tat
& the bands are crap - yet again only my opinion

how about boondocks-fisherman wharf -dartmouth side towards the airbase

you can watch the sewage accumulate from the deck, as you feast your eyes over the oh-so generic menu

What no bungey jumping that Sunday?

OK, thanks for your comments both on this thread and too the poster looking for advice on the job market in Halifax. You dont like the place. We get the picture. You are of course entitled to your point of view and to share it with all. I'm sure Aberdeens a wonderful place (only visited once and it was the coldest I've ever felt..) and you do have the delights of B&Q to keep you occupied on a Sunday. Which appears to be very important to you so enjoy!

In the meantime those of us living/visiting in and around Halifax will soldier on and try and find somewhere sans sewage and generic menu's to gather and lament about the lack of Sunday opening or B&Q in Nova Scotia.

AX
Old Apr 6th 2006, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

torticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
What no bungey jumping that Sunday?

OK, thanks for your comments both on this thread and too the poster looking for advice on the job market in Halifax. You dont like the place. We get the picture. You are of course entitled to your point of view and to share it with all. I'm sure Aberdeens a wonderful place (only visited once and it was the coldest I've ever felt..) and you do have the delights of B&Q to keep you occupied on a Sunday. Which appears to be very important to you so enjoy!

In the meantime those of us living/visiting in and around Halifax will soldier on and try and find somewhere sans sewage and generic menu's to gather and lament about the lack of Sunday opening or B&Q in Nova Scotia.

AX
Wow, I go offline for a while and miss all the exciting threads!!

Just to stay on topic - count us in on any meet-up. Open on location as there are plenty of choices but wise to pick one with good food as often they will stand by here no kids in the bar without food rule. one alternative is the small (by mall standards) food court (that does sell beer, even on a Sunday) situated at the end of Historic Properties on the waterfront.

Beaver, maybe you can elaborate on the pro's and con's of that location?
Old Apr 6th 2006, 3:22 pm
Banned

maple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nice

hes busy... boiling away....

Originally Posted by torticat

Just to stay on topic - count us in on any meet-up. Open on location as there are plenty of choices but wise to pick one with good food as often they will stand by here no kids in the bar without food rule. one alternative is the small (by mall standards) food court (that does sell beer, even on a Sunday) situated at the end of Historic Properties on the waterfront.

Old Apr 6th 2006, 3:34 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by torticat

thanks for allowing me to come in there

pros-reasonable food at decent prices - choice of four/six??? places
with the obligatory pizza stand
good fish stand, sandwiches & deli if i recall
waterfront location - don't know if it will be outdoor weather by easter ???
not bad selection of beer on tap

cons-more of a dine & dash place, lot of through traffic
seats not that comfortable
attached to a mall full of nautical/maritime tat
may be unlucky & fall prey to a blue rinse brigade of a berthed cruise liner

more of an economy shoe shop/little toms havana cafe man myself
Old Apr 6th 2006, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

may be unlucky & fall prey to a blue rinse brigade of a berthed cruise liner

more of an economy shoe shop/little toms havana cafe man myself
Cruise ships in mid-April are extremely unlikely. The season doesn't normally start until mid-to-late May.

JMO - I would avoid Economy Shoe Shop complex. There'a always been a lot of hype about it and it has an interesting layout and decor, but I have never found the food or service to be very good. A lot of so-called celebrities like to go there, so I suspect that's why it is considered popular.
Old Apr 7th 2006, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Well has anyone come up with a place, day or time for this meet up?
I would think since most of the expats live on the Dartmouth side of the Bridge....perhaps it would be better to stay that side....just a thought! Lets see who has some better idea.
Old Apr 7th 2006, 1:39 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Corky
Well has anyone come up with a place, day or time for this meet up?
I would think since most of the expats live on the Dartmouth side of the Bridge....perhaps it would be better to stay that side....just a thought! Lets see who has some better idea.

I'm OK with Dartmouth side but dont know anywhere that way. Flexible for Sat or Sun. What I think we need is a local to suggest a place and a time and we'll run with that!
Old Apr 7th 2006, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

What about either Mother Tuckers or East side Mario's? Haven't been to either but they come recommended as good in-expensive family eateries. Both are downtown.

I'm OK with Dartmouth side but dont know anywhere that way. Flexible for Sat or Sun. What I think we need is a local to suggest a place and a time and we'll run with that!
Old Apr 7th 2006, 4:03 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not wishing to do a "beaver" , but I've been to both and didn't like either at all, the food court at the harbour (see torticat post) hasn't been fully open yet this year either, but it could be at Easter weekend...

Originally Posted by SAW 04
Hi,

What about either Mother Tuckers or East side Mario's? Haven't been to either but they come recommended as good in-expensive family eateries. Both are downtown.
Old Apr 7th 2006, 4:15 pm
Slightly Canadian

I've been the the ESM in Bayers Lake. 'sok for a chain restaurant (& better than the one in St. John's). My only though about going to a restaurant like that is dunno how many peeps we have coming but it makes it a bit more formal in trying mebbe to book a table for x peeps, dificulties with a large party etc. A more informal or pub type setting where we can sit down, folks can eat if they want or just have a drink, drag tables together etc might work better? Not that I know of a place like that in Halifax or Dartmouth of course.
Old Apr 7th 2006, 4:33 pm
Dismember

I've been the the ESM in Bayers Lake. 'sok for a chain restaurant (& better than the one in St. John's). My only though about going to a restaurant like that is dunno how many peeps we have coming but it makes it a bit more formal in trying mebbe to book a table for x peeps, dificulties with a large party etc. A more informal or pub type setting where we can sit down, folks can eat if they want or just have a drink, drag tables together etc might work better? Not that I know of a place like that in Halifax or Dartmouth of course.
The place by the harbour is what you are describing - first place I met torticat, BH PNP and Maple... Not a huge selection, but who's really going for the food?
Old Apr 9th 2006, 1:44 am
Dismember

Unashamed bump - how about the market place on the harbour on Saturday lunchtime, noon onwards, drag your own table?

My kids will be running around, gorging themselves on sugar on Sunday... oh me too actually, and no one deserves to put up with the after effects of that.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 4:06 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

The Maxwell's Plum, Grafton St, Halifax serves gorgeous scallops and a damn fine pint of Genius. Heartily recommend it for a good night out, not suitable for kids though imho, don't even know if they are allowed in actually. Even the nut shells all over the floor add to the atmosphere. Women's loo being up a flight of open stairs is a challenge after a few, but there you go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.