Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

halifax unsure wether to stay or go back to uk

halifax unsure wether to stay or go back to uk

Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:01 pm
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: halifax unsure wether to stay or go back to uk

Originally Posted by JonboyE
You did say it was your opinion and was a generalization so fair enough.
Appreciate that and maybe I was being a little over-sensitive.

Lets agree to disagree and all that.

cheers
Old Aug 24th 2010, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Onefut will become famous soon enoughOnefut will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Yep and i'd rather be told to f*** off by someone who means it!
Wot he said
Old Aug 29th 2010, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

vaughant is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It wasn't intended to be personal so my apologies if it came across that way.

We have had posters here who don't get the type of job they felt they deserved. As a result they complained bitterly about Canada and Canadians. One poster insisted that he would not "lower" himself to adopt Canadian workplace practices, yet he blamed everybody and everything else for his failure to get a decent job. He was an extreme case but I still see that underlying attitude surfacing every now and again.

I picked on your post because it was a good example of some of the issues involved. I didn't intend to imply anything about you or your personal situation. I wish you all the luck possible in your new life.

That's fine,I don't take offence on Internet forums mate!!!although I must say there are a few on here that like to home in on someone who dares disagree with them but that's life!

To be honest,most of what you said is fair,I just wanted to share my experiences of Canadian practices(admittedly in Britain) to help these along their way.I was a representitive of the union in my old job and we had extensive dealings with the Canadian management and their attitude was certainly one of superior knowledge to us,talking amongst themselves thinking we didn't understand them,showing a serious lack of wit when we made comments to lighten the mood and generally just a bit of a holier than thou attitude.

As I said,they were really driven people who constantly spoke about "family" etc and many would say they got dealt a bad hand with the economic climate and I personally got on very well with a lot of them,although they always made sure you knew it was "us" and "them".

Totally agree with you about some peoples ideal of jobs abroad,I mean,at the end of the day your going into a totally new place,cultures etc and IMHO I believe firmly in working your way up therefore you shouldn't just expect to walk into your ideal job,I certainly wouldn't.

As stated previously,even though were on page 9 of a thread trying to assist two people to get decent employment in ns,sadly I think they're minds may have been made up and their viewing this thread from back in blighty.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 11:52 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Onefut
Wot he said
she!
Old Aug 30th 2010, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Onefut will become famous soon enoughOnefut will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Lorry1
she!
oops!!!! sorry

wot SHE said
Old Aug 30th 2010, 12:54 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Onefut
oops!!!! sorry

wot SHE said
Old Aug 30th 2010, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Pat PH will become famous soon enoughPat PH will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by linz3112
I am nowhere near moving yet but i thought this was a brilliant, informative post!

Many thanks, i will remember these bits of advice when it's my turn!!
I was just going to say exactly the same thing....first class post