Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

halifax unsure wether to stay or go back to uk

halifax unsure wether to stay or go back to uk

Old Aug 16th 2010, 5:38 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: halifax unsure wether to stay or go back to uk

Originally Posted by kevinand john
moved here july 1st with so much confidence and hope for the future.gave up good jobs and a nice house in the uk too.moved here with job agencies and people saying you can easily get a job with your experience.partner has applied for job after job and if they do ring you back and give you an interview you never here back from them again ,always having to chase them.ive even applied for a job shelf stacking that i can walk into in the uk ,got an interview and then nothing.what do you have to do to get a job.we cant carry on like this for much longer as we can only afford to use so much money trying before we have to decide whats next.do we call it quits say we tried and go back to the uk? at least we would get dole and help with rent there.did anybody else find it difficult to get employment here? we even did a test visit in june trying job agenices etc all said you will have no problem with work just come in when you arrive.now we are here its a different story-they dont bother to answerthe phone or get back to you
its so frustrating all we want to do is get jobs and settle down here.never knew it would be this hard though.we are seriously thinking of going back tothe uk now!
6 weeks? Canadian employers haven't even begun to dither by that point! Ok, a generalisation of course, but it's different here.

Also different is the attitude towards work, IMO. That shelf stacking job "that i can walk into in the uk" will be targeted by high school kids and every other person out there who needs work. Just because it is not highly skilled work does not mean that you are entitled to it. Many people come onto this board with, IMO, the attitude that they will "just take some office job to get by". That's not good enough in Canada, you have to prove that you have the skills and experience for the job, that you are not going to leave as soon as something 'better' comes along, that you have something to actually offer the company.

Good luck and stick with it.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 6:12 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Spot on with both of these. Canada is what it is, like it or not. It is what it is however due to immigration and the contribution immigrants have made. Come here to make a contribution and it can be rewarding, come here, complain and do nothing is a recipe for failure.

When we hire staff, qualifications are important, however attitude is everything, even the most qualified candidate with the wrong attitude won't get hired. Our hiring decisions are made not only by management, but with input from other staff. When you speak to anyone at an organisation, you never know how much influence they may have in the hiring decision.
Very well said.
Attitude is the most important thing. If yours is one of arrogance and that we are 20 years behind the times and you project that to prospective employers it will very likely be a frosty Friday in July before you get a position.
Good luck though and I hope you find something soon.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 6:32 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
This isn't being backwards, or behind the times, or rude. It is just the way things are done.
Because it's the way things are done doesn't make it not rude. It's disheartening and depressing to put effort in and hear nothing back. I think it's an appalling way to treat people. Still, that's the way it is.

When we hire staff, qualifications are important, however attitude is everything, even the most qualified candidate with the wrong attitude won't get hired. ...
Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Very well said.
Attitude is the most important thing. If yours is one of arrogance and that we are 20 years behind the times ....
The OP is obviously feeling it as the stream of consciousness style of the writing is just them venting their misery. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are arrogant or have too lofty expectations when applying for jobs.

Being unemployed with no end in site is a depressing thing to go through. It may only be six week so far, but when you are in that situation, burning through what money you may have, it's tough to see where the positives are.

Though it is only six weeks - and there is some good advice in this thread (JonboyE's in particular)
Old Aug 16th 2010, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

While the recent posts above contain good advice, I do find it a little unfair for recently arrived immigrants to be routinely told that it is their attitude that sucks rather than that of Canadian employers.

Yes, I know the whole "when in Rome, etc." is what immigrants have to put up with, but the blame is not solely their`s. Canadian hiring practices are dire and are unlikely to change if newly arrived immigrants are expected to doff their caps and conform. I am amazed at the arrogance shown in the local press when employers complain about their inability to recruit staff, particularly in the boom times.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Aug 16th 2010 at 6:51 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Because it's the way things are done doesn't make it not rude. It's disheartening and depressing to put effort in and hear nothing back. I think it's an appalling way to treat people. Still, that's the way it is.

The OP is obviously feeling it as the stream of consciousness style of the writing is just them venting their misery. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are arrogant or have too lofty expectations when applying for jobs.

Being unemployed with no end in site is a depressing thing to go through. It may only be six week so far, but when you are in that situation, burning through what money you may have, it's tough to see where the positives are.

Though it is only six weeks - and there is some good advice in this thread (JonboyE's in particular)
I agree, you were typing your`s as I was typing mine
Old Aug 16th 2010, 6:41 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I feel for the OP and am ignoring the 20 years behind crack. I think that's just frustration talking.

OP - with the job I have now, it took the company 2 months to get back to me for an interview. They never acknowledged receipt of my resume. I'd given up on it by then. My one bit of advice is don't take it personally because it really isn't. This company has turned out to be great to work for.

Good luck.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 6:56 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I do find it a little unfair for recently arrived immigrants to be routinely told that it is their attitude that sucks rather than that of Canadian employers.
Fair or not, the employers are the ones hiring and paying, so hold all the cards, like it or not. As an employer, I try to be fair, but end of the day, it is up to me how I do my hiring. Some employers are not considerate and it amazes me how they retain staff, some staff have such an attitude is amazes me how they ever expect to get hired. After a while you get used to how it is done here and work with it.

I am amazed at the arrogance shown in the local press when employers complain about their inability to recruit staff, particularly in the boom times.
It is hard to recruit good local staff, boom times or not. We probably have no better than a 50% success rate with local labour. The good ones stay, the not so good ones are let go. There is very much a work if I want to attitude and job entitlement. This is why the foreign worker programs work so well such as SAWP which is replacing a large percentage of labour in the ag sector.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:04 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Attitude is not just negative, positive attitude goes a long way to securing a job. Having a positive, go get 'em, I want to work and learn attitude, enthusiasm for the job goes a long way. We just hired an unqualified individual because of that, we decided to take a chance on him, the two previous incumbents were qualified, with totally the wrong attitude and really did not care about any more than the money.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:11 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Because it's the way things are done doesn't make it not rude.
But it is only rude to us because of our experience in the UK. I don't think the average Canadian is offended because they don't expect "thanks but no thanks" letters in any case.

If we are not to get too discouraged by the job hunting process (and I agree it can be very depressing) it is better to approach it with Canadian sensibilities.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:13 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

It is hard to recruit good local staff, boom times or not. We probably have no better than a 50% success rate with local labour. The good ones stay, the not so good ones are let go. There is very much a work if I want to attitude and job entitlement. This is why the foreign worker programs work so well such as SAWP which is replacing a large percentage of labour in the ag sector.
I agree. I much prefer to hire recent immigrants. You can train almost everything apart from work ethic.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:31 pm
New Scotland Girl

alexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nice

Hi Kevin & John,

Don't get your hopes down, one thing that everyone has neglected to mention so far is - majority of the people are on vacation. I have been looking for work since the beginning of July after moving back to Halifax from Scotland.

From my own experience, job hunting during summer months takes longer. HR departments are very big and like to screen applicants first, so it is very likely that each step of the interview process some "essential" person is on vacation.

Please don't take it personally, I am Canadian and I am having the exact same problems as you right now. It takes patience and the job market will speed up starting in September.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:33 pm
New Scotland Girl

alexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nice

Oh, another thing. Companies that usually get back to you ASAP are not the ones you want to be working for. There is a reason why they get back to you so quickly, they are desperate.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:37 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexisatk
, one thing that everyone has neglected to mention so far is - majority of the people are on vacation.
<coughs>
Originally Posted by iaink
Give it time. Summer is always slow with people on vacation etc, took me 9 weeks from 1st interview to starting work one time.)

Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexisatk
Oh, another thing. Companies that usually get back to you ASAP are not the ones you want to be working for. There is a reason why they get back to you so quickly, they are desperate.
Well if you're stuck for a job, you'd probably consider it!
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:42 pm
New Scotland Girl

Originally Posted by iaink
<coughs>

Sorry iank, i must have started skimming the posts at one point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.