Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

halifax unsure wether to stay or go back to uk

halifax unsure wether to stay or go back to uk

Old Aug 22nd 2010, 5:08 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: halifax unsure wether to stay or go back to uk

Originally Posted by JonboyE
So let's see. We have:

a) coming from overseas
b) think they know better than the locals
c) don't like the way things are being done
d) seek to impose change but
e) don't make the effort to understand what made things work as well as they did in the first place.

Result?

f) failure.

I'm sure that in there is a lesson in there somewhere trying to burst out.
Good observations.

Look for the common denominator, if it is you, then as a key factor you then you have to change yourself.

However I suspect the Original Poster is long gone, we are all spouting off and no one is listening.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 5:17 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
People here really do appreciate if you show enthusiasum and a willingness to want to work for them.
Quite.

In a city like Vancouver there are lots of immigrants from all over the world. We have an advantage over many of these immigrants in that English is our first language (though it's an advantage soon negated if we keep reminding Canadians that we speak "proper" English, unlike them).

Unfortunately this is the only advantage we have. We are competing against other immigrants who are determined to make their new lives a success come what may. They will do what they are told with a smile and work their b*ll*cks off to earn a wage.

You may think you are above this but unless you really ARE special then this is the reality of life. Enthusiasm, willingness (and a bit of humility) go a long way.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 5:18 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
However I suspect the Original Poster is long gone, we are all spouting off and no one is listening.
True, but the "I can't get a good job because the Canadians are all backward" is a reoccurring theme here.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 5:25 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by Alan2005
You mean they think they are better by the smallest possible measurable amount?

That doesn't apply to me - I'm loads better than Canadians.
More in the colloquial sense of a quantum leap but, fair enough, it was a bad choice of a word.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 5:54 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never had any probs find work here. And it's a bit arrogant to spoout off that Brits are better and that Canadian employers are 'theatened' etc...

here is the other side of a coin, a Canadian in London:

Your extraordinary abilities as a Canadian professional worker will not be recognized. Sadly, but truly enough, Brits are ethnocentric and only recognize their own internal qualifications. I know you may think you can impress them, but the reality is different: Brits know they have all the answers and they are stubborn as mules.

http://www.canuckabroad.com/forums/y...-vt1338-8.html

Last edited by dboy; Aug 22nd 2010 at 5:57 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dboy
I've never had any probs find work here. And it's a bit arrogant to spoout off that Brits are better and that Canadian employers are 'theatened' etc...

Your extraordinary abilities as a Canadian professional worker will not be recognized. Sadly, but truly enough, Brits are ethnocentric and only recognize their own internal qualifications. I know you may think you can impress them, but the reality is different: Brits know they have all the answers and they are stubborn as mules.

I guess you're right. Brits are not much better than Canucks. This Canadian garrison mentality is more toward Americans than Brits. Many Brits will do worse in the US than here because British credentials aren't recognized in the US--even degrees from top schools like Oxford and Cambridge don't impress many American employers.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

vaughant is an unknown quantity at this point

So let's see. We have:

a) coming from overseas
e) don't make the effort to understand what made things work as well as they did in the first place.

Result?

f) failure.

not that I can understand it.

"After all,why do the canadians need so many immigrants if their all so brilliant themselves?"

If you arrive here with that attitude then life is going to be a struggle.

Really?I never would have guessed that.

The one thing you shouldn't do is assume that all Canadians are idiots or that they should be thankful for your expertise. Your own experience is a good example of how people react to "outsiders" thinking that they are better than you.

Like they did to us,ok.

Right,still can't really see what's being got at here but like I said,it would be helpful if the op could actually put up what their occupations are and how they got out there in the first place.

Why can't I say about my own experiences on here without being shot down by the Canadian posse,for gods sake as originally posted these are MY experiences.there were at least 50 canadians working there and everyone of them had exactly the same attitude,was that pure chance?maybe.

As I said they were really nice people who were 100% committed to makng the place work which was great to see but sadly a large part of their methods was to continually tell us how crap we were/good they were,how their methods
worked/ours didn't,how amazing their engineers were/ours weren't,how we needed more managers,yet telling us we needed a mass cull on the shop floor and although we welcomed these changes initially,it was clear that their company method of working would not work in the uk,which was sad.a bit of compromise would have been nice.

There are lots of reasons why I want to emigrate and if anyone on here thinks I'd be anything but 100% polite,willing to learn and ready for an employer then they don't know me very well at all.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 7:03 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

So let's see. We have:

a) coming from overseas

Result?

f) failure.

wow, that DOES sound familiar...
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 7:06 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vaughant

As I said they were really nice people who were 100% committed to makng the place work which was great to see but sadly a large part of their methods was to continually tell us how crap we were/good they were,how their methods
worked/ours didn't,how amazing their engineers were/ours weren't,how we needed more managers,yet telling us we needed a mass cull on the shop floor and although we welcomed these changes initially,it was clear that their company method of working would not work in the uk,which was sad.a bit of compromise would have been nice.

There are lots of reasons why I want to emigrate and if anyone on here thinks I'd be anything but 100% polite,willing to learn and ready for an employer then they don't know me very well at all.

I just think it's funny you want to emigrate to Canada after that
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by dboy

Kiwi brother has found the same thing. His quals, etc, are discounted because they're not British.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

vaughant is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I just think it's funny you want to emigrate to Canada after that
Why not?I'm sure not all canadian employers are like Linamar!!as I said,their personalities were fine but just their ideas a bit off!I'm sure plenty of people think all welsh people sing in choirs,eat leeks and shag sheep for a living!!

I want a better standard of living for myself,but more importantly my child.sadly,unless he can earn about £80k per year in the uk he will never have the standards of living we do,all of which has always been done from my earning potential,which sadly is diminishing here in the uk ATM.

Sure,we will 100% help him get a foot on the property ladder like my mum did,but with the cheapest house in my area starting at about £180-200k we'd need to be giving him at least 30-40 k and then hoping he can get a £150k mortgage,I doubt I could afford that now with bills etc.

I'd just like to try something new,meet some nice people and hopefully make some $$ while I'm there.

Don't want much do I???
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

nikky1234 will become famous soon enough

Thankfully there are more people on this site that are genuinely here to help! However public postings on here just get you shot down thats why newbies give up and just use this site for the valuable info it can give.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

mrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nice

Why not?I'm sure not all canadian employers are like Linamar!!as I said,their personalities were fine but just their ideas a bit off!I'm sure plenty of people think all welsh people sing in choirs,eat leeks and shag sheep for a living!!

I want a better standard of living for myself,but more importantly my child.sadly,unless he can earn about £80k per year in the uk he will never have the standards of living we do,all of which has always been done from my earning potential,which sadly is diminishing here in the uk ATM.

Sure,we will 100% help him get a foot on the property ladder like my mum did,but with the cheapest house in my area starting at about £180-200k we'd need to be giving him at least 30-40 k and then hoping he can get a £150k mortgage,I doubt I could afford that now with bills etc.

I'd just like to try something new,meet some nice people and hopefully make some $$ while I'm there.

Don't want much do I???
Hey, it's why we all want to do it at the moment. To put it bluntly, unless your in the right place at the right time, the UK is going to be grim for the next 5-10 years and the situation you described for your child's only going to get worse. I've made it to 30 with those dreams and I realise they are never going to happen unless I move away from London and I don't want to do that as it limits/cripples my UK job opportunities.

I have four options at the moment:

1) Retrain and throw 9 years of job experience away
2) Move within the UK and potentially make the situation worse as it's unlikely to make it better
3) Stay where I am and wait for it to happen (it will it's just a question of when I will be unemployed)
4) Take my chance in another country

I already know I'm likely to get employment in the country doing what I do either with the State Government or a Consultancy, I just need to do some more research and a recce and make the move and be committed to making it work - as my other 3 options aren't options (and that's why I'm already considering ruling out Nova Scotia and Newfoundland as I just don't think I could hack the area). I know I may have to start back from the bottom learning Canadian codes and regulations but if that's what it takes - that's what it takes.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 9:21 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

More in the colloquial sense of a quantum leap but, fair enough, it was a bad choice of a word.
I knew that really. I notice you didn't rise to the other part of my post - maybe it was too obvious.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 11:23 pm

Don't want much do I???
good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.