Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Halifax Restuarants

Wikiposts

Halifax Restuarants

Old Jul 13th 2006, 3:01 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Halifax Restuarants

My lawyer is going to visit Halifax and while she's there she hopes to eat. Despite her occupation I rather like her and so said I would see what I could find for recommendations. Phrases used were "not obvious tourist places", "on the water" and "have a car". I would think a shark would expect to eat smaller fish and I don't suppose money is a constraint.

Ideas please.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

mikejw is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Halifax Restuarants

Originally Posted by dbd33
My lawyer is going to visit Halifax and while she's there she hopes to eat. Despite her occupation I rather like her and so said I would see what I could find for recommendations. Phrases used were "not obvious tourist places", "on the water" and "have a car". I would think a shark would expect to eat smaller fish and I don't suppose money is a constraint.

Ideas please.
Hi
Check this out...
http://www.bishopslanding.com/play.php

Quite an upmarket little area right on the waterfront;especially if money's no object!!!
Orla
Old Jul 13th 2006, 3:51 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Ideas please.
Wishing you and her luck. Twice that I've been to Halifax and could not find anyplace reasonably priced which would be $25 or under per person (without liquor). And could not find any that served lobster. Are so nice restaurants along the rode to Peggy's Cove but don't know if she would want to travel that far.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 4:11 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikejw
Hi
Check this out...
http://www.bishopslanding.com/play.php

Quite an upmarket little area right on the waterfront;especially if money's no object!!!
Orla
Thanks, I believe I went a wine tasting in a tent on the lawn there, but we didn't eat.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 4:14 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Rete
Wishing you and her luck. Twice that I've been to Halifax and could not find anyplace reasonably priced which would be $25 or under per person (without liquor). And could not find any that served lobster. Are so nice restaurants along the rode to Peggy's Cove but don't know if she would want to travel that far.
I don't think she would consider $25 a lot.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 4:16 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Theres a nice Japanese grill type resturaunt on the waterfront erm called erm Tamagochi grill or something like that. I can also recommend a really great Greek place called 'Opa!' although its not on the waterfront.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 4:17 am
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Ideas please.
the 'press gang' although not on the water is on the main square, round the corner from economy shoe shop & sort of opposite the vastly overrated five fisherman - gets my vote for top notch dining

walked past bish loads of times , but looked pretty bare

i think 'saltys' is on the waterfront also but may a bit touristy as opposed to corporate dining

apologies if things have changed in 3 years
Old Jul 13th 2006, 4:20 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think she would consider $25 a lot.
I don't either. I said I consider $25 and under without liquor reasonably priced. I obviously don't believe in paying $50 or more for a meal in a snotty place having an enjoyable dinner.

Viva la difference
Old Jul 13th 2006, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

Bish is the upmarket restaurant at Bishop's Landing. I've eaten there, it is not bad but I have to admit not too memorable. The best restaurant in Halifax is consistently said to be Da Maurizio's, across from Bishop's Landing in the Brewery Market (I have never tried it as it was out of my price range while living in Halifax).

Saege near the corner of Spring Garden and Summer St. is good. I have been to the upstairs wine bar portion of Seven for nibbles and drinks and would recommend it. As far as seafood goes, Five Fishermen has been around forever but does have good food, despite its location next to the liquor dome. I'm afraid I don't really know of any good places on the waterfront as most of them are quite touristy.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 4:28 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Rete
I don't either. I said I consider $25 and under without liquor reasonably priced. I obviously don't believe in paying $50 or more for a meal in a snotty place having an enjoyable dinner.

Viva la difference
and Viva Las Vegas.

I really don't know what she'd spend on dinner while on holiday, or not on holiday, come to that. I'm just looking for places that sound interesting or somehow special regardless of cost and, indeed, cuisine.

Thank you for the suggestions so far.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 4:56 am
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Theres a nice Japanese grill type resturaunt on the waterfront erm called erm Tamagochi grill or something like that. I can also recommend a really great Greek place called 'Opa!' although its not on the waterfront.
Hamachi's Steak House I think you mean.
Salty's is supposed to be good, sea food, water front, expensive/exclusive upstairs, touristy downstairs.
Stay away from Murphy's on the Water.
For really expensive stuff, there is Bish (www.bish.ca), haven't been there either, no change out of $100 per head.
Taj Mahal does a decent curry (next to the westin hotel) as does Curry Village.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 8:14 am
OMG - I'm back

nivlad will become famous soon enoughnivlad will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
the 'press gang' although not on the water is on the main square, round the corner from economy shoe shop & sort of opposite the vastly overrated five fisherman - gets my vote for top notch dining

walked past bish loads of times , but looked pretty bare

i think 'saltys' is on the waterfront also but may a bit touristy as opposed to corporate dining

apologies if things have changed in 3 years
Interesting. I loved the 5 Fishermans, and also Salties. Is the Birmingham Bar and Grill still on Spring Garden? I gave the watress there a 40% tip!! The service was good but...I must have been drunk!
Old Jul 13th 2006, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

mikejw is on a distinguished road

Ideas please.
The Prince George Hotel, Grafton Street.
Newly refurbed "Gio" restaurant. Food is excellent; service super and only a "wee" walk from waterfront.
Advantage being she can walk past and sample the great bars; economy shoe shop, the triangle etc........

I've been to Bish and agree with Ziggy ;a bit expensive [for what you get]; not sure if it's still there?
Orla
Old Jul 13th 2006, 2:03 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Jon Allans restaurant which is just off Spring Garden, Dresden St I think. Best steak and lobster I have ever eaten. I agree i loved Five Fisherman, the unlimited mussels was to die for. Murphys overrated in my view but loved Saltys too.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 8:32 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Maxwell's Plum 1600 Grafton St. Halifax . It's a pub but the food was good. Or it may have been the several pints of Guinness that made it seem good. Either way I went back for seconds and thoroughly enjoyed their breaded scallops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.