Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Halifax reccie

Halifax reccie

Old Jul 19th 2007, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Halifax reccie

I have had many holidays in Scotland before I ever came to Holiday in Nova Scotia. Scotland is far worse, especially some of the Western Islands.

I say this as I sit at my computer, in central England, being eaten alive by a swarm of flying ants YEUK!
Old Jul 19th 2007, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Its very hard to do a reccie when the province is caked in fog for a week. Boooooooo fog. It was like November! :curse:
Worst April, May, June and July (so far) in more than 20 years. But with the awful weather have not seen a lot of nasty bugs- maybe they have migrated
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:38 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Corky
Bug season isnèt really as bad as we are talking about!!! We get mossies and alsorts of biting bugs but usually by late August they are starting to disappear. It really depends where you are going to live.

Yes, this is only our first bug season here. They must be attracted to fresh blood
Old Jul 20th 2007, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

charlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Yip they are still here. I went out for a healthy walk early one evening and came back with 3 bites. Didn't even know I had been bitten until I noticed blood trickling down my neck One on my scalp and one on my arm. I react to the bites by swelling up. I even had swollen glands on the back of my neck cos I had 2 bites there.

Apparently the little bleeders will find that tiny patch that you forgot to apply the bug spray to. My Y-C-Do was bitten under his watch strap and on the back of his hand. Hand completely ballooned up.

Gonna go buy a CO2 mozzie/blackfly trap for sure to protect us around the garden - fingers crossed it'll do the trick.
One tip I was given, and it really does work, is put a couple of "bounce" sheets under your collar and sleeve cuffs and it keeps the little buggers away. Something to do with their static eliminating qualities, or something. Try it I found it a miracle cure.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 1:06 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Bought our mozzie/blackfly etc trap yesterday and put it together in the garage. Donned a hat with mesh over face and neck, sprayed my body in bug repellent and took the trap outside. Couldn't get the pilot light to stay on so was out for around 5-10 minutes.

Woke up during the night hacking away at my feet. Was I dreaming that I had athletes foot????? No chance, 3 new bites on one foot, 2 on the other and one on my leg ........ Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :curse:
Old Jul 21st 2007, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

I have been taking the garlic pills for a week now. I come to Canada on Friday. I will let you kow if I get bitten more or less than last year.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

chinook is an unknown quantity at this point

I once contracted malaria and as my job use to involve lots of travel including lengthy stays in the tropics or jungle environment I was as you could expect very wary of contracting malaria again (it is possible there are 4 variants). On one particular trip I was advised by some British Special Forces guys that they stay away from sweet or sugary food, but that they also take Brewers Yeast tablets, (available from Boots etc I think its a type of Vitamin B).

I have taken it on all my trips since and I never get bitten, maybe just down to luck, but its now always on my packing list.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

crusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud of

i am going out next year to look as well. On another post there was an excellent post about the best areas to live. have printed that one out (thanks) and wil lgo to visit these areas. I wil lcontact some people as well and see if anyone can meet me and my wife to talk about N.S (Halifax) area.

I have been loknig att his area for 2 years now....I feel it is finally going to happen.

We looked at a 3 bedrooemd house in the UK yesterday. Very nice...£325,000 Semi-detatched...UNBELIEVABLE. We are priced out here now. For $400,000 Can $ I can get 3 times as much
Old Jul 25th 2007, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

smitp11 will become famous soon enoughsmitp11 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by crusheduk
We looked at a 3 bedroomd house in the UK yesterday. Very nice...£325,000 Semi-detatched...UNBELIEVABLE. We are priced out here now. For $400,000 Can $ I can get 3 times as much
Exactly, but remember the bigger the house the more it costs to heat!! Try and factor this in to any budget you are calculating....

We're having a house built as it is the same price as buying a second hand one. The area we're heading for is quite popular, so all the good houses dissappear quickly, the houses that were left would mean we would have to compromise on something, so luckily we found a realtor who knew a great builder who had some lots (plots) available. Now our only compromimse is time...

Patrick.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

h_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of light

I'm on the south shore of Nova Scotia and the biting insects are out in force this year. It seems you are not even safe around the ocean..horse flies dont care if there's a breeze. Deer flies continually try and find skin to bite around the face and scalp and send the dog into a crazy dance. Then there are the mozzies, black flies and no-seeums... all with different types of bites... It seems all rules are off this year...doesn't matter if there's a breeze or rain or it's cool or you've got deet on...they are biting.

Anyone know what useful role these things actually play in the grand scheme of things?
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by h_henry
I'm on the south shore of Nova Scotia and the biting insects are out in force this year. It seems you are not even safe around the ocean..horse flies dont care if there's a breeze. Deer flies continually try and find skin to bite around the face and scalp and send the dog into a crazy dance. Then there are the mozzies, black flies and no-seeums... all with different types of bites... It seems all rules are off this year...doesn't matter if there's a breeze or rain or it's cool or you've got deet on...they are biting.

Anyone know what useful role these things actually play in the grand scheme of things?
I wish I knew what good they played and who wants them! Of all the years back here in the woods, this is the worst I have seen deer flies and I just hate them. About 3 weeks ago, I left an outside light on and attrached alot of noseeums and got terribly bitten up with their little bites! Other than that not seen much of anything else. I have to take my Zapper bat out with me to get rid of the deer flies....its the only thing that will kill the little suckers!