Halifax NS

Old Aug 6th 2005, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

Teremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really nice
Post Halifax NS

Originally from Bedfordshire we have spent the last 6 years living in WA near the BC border, we have three children, 8,6,1 my wife and I have decided that we really do not want our children to be brought up as Americans (for our own personal reasons rightly or wrongly). We could go back to the UK but for the reasons most of you left it's not a viable option. We have been looking at Halifax and NS in general and would really appreciate any help you may be able to give us. We are looking for a safe, child friendly environment with a good public school system and child social infrastructure. I work from home and my company is prepared to allow me to work anywhere in the world. Any suggestions?

British humour and a good pub would be a plus!.
Old Aug 6th 2005, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

mikejw is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Halifax NS

Hi

The homour and dry wit here has a familiar ring and apparently the Guiness is top-notch!

There are lots of other plusses as I'm sure this thread over time will confirm .
Orla

Originally Posted by Teremok
Originally from Bedfordshire we have spent the last 6 years living in WA near the BC border, we have three children, 8,6,1 my wife and I have decided that we really do not want our children to be brought up as Americans (for our own personal reasons rightly or wrongly). We could go back to the UK but for the reasons most of you left it's not a viable option. We have been looking at Halifax and NS in general and would really appreciate any help you may be able to give us. We are looking for a safe, child friendly environment with a good public school system and child social infrastructure. I work from home and my company is prepared to allow me to work anywhere in the world. Any suggestions?

Old Aug 6th 2005, 6:04 pm
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough

Nova Scotia seems to be Brit ex-pat central at the moment.
Several on this forum and then talking to the natives they all seem to know a British family someplace.
NS is a great place if you don't take youself too seriously and want a slower pace of life. Halifax has a small city feel but plenty going on.
Education that I have looked at seems really good (in our case in the Annapolis Valley).
Good luck with your research!
Old Aug 6th 2005, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crispie
Nova Scotia seems to be Brit ex-pat central at the moment.
Several on this forum and then talking to the natives they all seem to know a British family someplace.
NS is a great place if you don't take youself too seriously and want a slower pace of life. Halifax has a small city feel but plenty going on.
Education that I have looked at seems really good (in our case in the Annapolis Valley).
Good luck with your research!
Don't know a lot about NS as we are heading for NB, but did spend a couple of days in Halifax as we were flying out from there.
We were there on the Long weekend last week and on Saturday night there was some music and buskers and fireworks downtown along the board walk.

The athmosphere was really nice. No one drunk, no agressive behaviour, no chavs. Only saw 2 policemen all evening and they were chatting with the public.

I live in Bournemouth and every Friday we have fireworks on the beach. We don't go to these anymore as there is likely to be trouble.

We had all of Sunday to kill before our flight out in the evening and they have no Sunday shopping! I'm not saying thats a bad thing. Just very weird when you are used to shopping on every day of the year including christmas day in some cases.

Seems like a nice place.
Old Aug 6th 2005, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

gingernut is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I grew up in Dartmouth NS and it is a great place to raise kids. I now live in England but am in the process of returning home with my husband and kids. I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Aug 9th 2005, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice

Hi Teremok,

we have been living in Halifax for now 5 weeks, we have a 4 year old son who has not stopped playing outside since the day we arrived, he loves it here, and I'm sure we have made the right move for us and him. We are staying with family at the moment and hope to be in our new house in Fall River in October. But we find it a very safe place for kids to play and the teenagers are different here to UK, doesn't seem to be the attiude and disrespect for others as much. I have been lucky where i have just got a job as nursery teacher for pre-school kids, so able to take my son with me 5 mornings a week. He starts school next september, just missed the cutoff point by 3 weeks. I would say have a look around the area and decide what good points you like and dislike. Good luck.

Gingernuts,

get a move on with that paper work, hope to meet you out here soon. Went to your parents on sunday, brilliant house and location. Lovely people.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

beckington will become famous soon enoughbeckington will become famous soon enough

Another 'yes!' for Halifax! Though admittedly I've never lived there with kids, but am from there and am planning on moving home with hubby and toddler as soon as house is sold (please someone buy my house!!!). It's a small city but lively with lots to do!

Charmaine
Old Aug 10th 2005, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

RodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of light

and another yes for Nova Scotia, we have just returned to the UK from a holiday/reccy (hubby offered a job in Dartmouth ) just sorting the paperwork for PNP and will hopefully be out there early next year , we have 3 teenagers and they loved it

Rosie
Old Aug 10th 2005, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

mikejw is on a distinguished road

Hi
As well as the humour of the Nova Scotians,we find it refreshing to deal with them from a business perspective.
Open and innovative.Some may disagree,however,they are now awakening to their demographic position and how that alone can help growth.........6 hours from UK[max.]

Orla

Originally Posted by RodRos&Co.
and another yes for Nova Scotia, we have just returned to the UK from a holiday/reccy (hubby offered a job in Dartmouth ) just sorting the paperwork for PNP and will hopefully be out there early next year , we have 3 teenagers and they loved it

Rosie
Old Aug 11th 2005, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice

Hi All in Halifax,
just to let you know I passed my driving test this morning, in the pouring rain and fog today. Should be clearing up this afternoon, glad that is over.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Well done!! I went to great lengths to avoid retaking mine here so have nothing but admiration for those of you who have to...and pass first time

Biiiiink

Last edited by Biiiiink; Aug 11th 2005 at 2:10 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

just came across a useful link for all would-be Halegonians

http://www.greaterhalifax.com/locate...e/default.aspx
Old Aug 11th 2005, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodworm
just came across a useful link for all would-be Halegonians

http://www.greaterhalifax.com/locate...e/default.aspx
I'm wondering what the pale liquid is that the lady on the front page is dipping?!
Old Aug 11th 2005, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I'm wondering what the pale liquid is that the lady on the front page is dipping?!

Old Aug 11th 2005, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Good site...Wormwood!
Now that yellow liquid......hummmmm......could it be a cocktail!!!
Nay she is just stirring her lemonade!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.