Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Halifax Job Market - Info please

Halifax Job Market - Info please

Old Mar 26th 2007, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Eden is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Halifax Job Market - Info please

We are thinking of moving to Halifax from the UK and would welcome general info/advice on your experience of getting a job. How long did it take to find work and were you able to find work in your area of experience/interest, that kind of thing. We have particular interest in education, advertising and publishing.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Halifax Job Market - Info please

Originally Posted by Eden View Post
We are thinking of moving to Halifax from the UK and would welcome general info/advice on your experience of getting a job. How long did it take to find work and were you able to find work in your area of experience/interest, that kind of thing. We have particular interest in education, advertising and publishing.
check out these websites for jobs in Halifax, in case you don't know them yet>
http://www.careerbeacon.com/index.html
http://www.allstarjobs.ca/Canada_Job_Banks/index.htm
http://www.allstarjobs.ca/Nova_Scoti...cies/index.htm

sorry, I can't help with your other questions as I don't live in Halifax
Old Mar 26th 2007, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

Eden is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks
Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light

I'm in the same boat as you - would love to tie up a job in Canada asap. From what I have heard, and the people I have spoken to, the job market is very much geared around networking rather than finding something through adverts or agencies. That kind of makes it difficult to find a job when based in the UK.

Having said all that, there are success stories on this website, so someone must be having more luck than me !
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

charlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of light

What you have to remember is that Halifax, although it is considered the "big" city in the province, it is in reality a small town, only a 300,000 population, and a large proportion of these numbers are students. In each industry everyone knows everyone, and everyone has at one time worked with everyone else. People feel very threatened if someone approaches them with more experience than them.

I had to start at the bottom of my career ladder again 8 months ago when I arrived, giving people the old " i realise my previous experience counts for nothing " " please give me the chance to prove my worth" etc speech. After only 8 months, tomorrow, I am going to have an interview for my 3rd step up, bringing me back in line to where was in the UK. As they say "the cream always rises to the top", it may just take longer than hoped.

In NS it is not often that you go into an organisation high up, they are still 20 years behind the UK in recruitment and attitude, they still belive that long service takes priority over ability.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by charlie1 View Post
What you have to remember is that Halifax, although it is considered the "big" city in the province, it is in reality a small town, only a 300,000 population, and a large proportion of these numbers are students. In each industry everyone knows everyone, and everyone has at one time worked with everyone else. People feel very threatened if someone approaches them with more experience than them.

I had to start at the bottom of my career ladder again 8 months ago when I arrived, giving people the old " i realise my previous experience counts for nothing " " please give me the chance to prove my worth" etc speech. After only 8 months, tomorrow, I am going to have an interview for my 3rd step up, bringing me back in line to where was in the UK. As they say "the cream always rises to the top", it may just take longer than hoped.

In NS it is not often that you go into an organisation high up, they are still 20 years behind the UK in recruitment and attitude, they still belive that long service takes priority over ability.
i agree, they love to promote from within, which is not a bad thing, but it is hard to penetrate that outer skin of the company, also as the town is so small "good" job openings don't often come up, and when they do there are already 20 people waiting for the position