Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Halifax Area - house prices

Halifax Area - house prices

Old Aug 16th 2005, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

CJ'n'BJ is a jewel in the roughCJ'n'BJ is a jewel in the roughCJ'n'BJ is a jewel in the roughCJ'n'BJ is a jewel in the rough
Default Halifax Area - house prices

Do houses tend to sell at over or under their asking price (compared with the UK norm where asking prices are annoyingly pitched too low to encourage more offers)? Or does it depend on area?

And, in general, has everyone - everyone reading this that is! - moved 'up' from the home they had in the UK?

Looking at the mls.ca site it looks like we can afford some amazing properties, but of course, salaries are lower... Though since we don't yet know what our typical earnings could be, we're trying not to get too excited about a water front property with several decks, etc. etc.

Cheers,
CJ
Old Aug 17th 2005, 12:22 pm
Nova Scotian

BH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant future
Default Re: Halifax Area - house prices

Hi

Generally at the moment houses are selling at 95% of the asking price in the HRM. You don't find the vast differences between offers and asking price that is typical in the UK.

Naturally, water access is more expensive but I'm sure you will find a home that will amaze you compared to what most can afford in Britain.

But one thing is for sure..... Moving up..... you bet!!
Old Aug 17th 2005, 12:41 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BH PNP
Hi

Generally at the moment houses are selling at 95% of the asking price in the HRM. You don't find the vast differences between offers and asking price that is typical in the UK.

Naturally, water access is more expensive but I'm sure you will find a home that will amaze you compared to what most can afford in Britain.

But one thing is for sure..... Moving up..... you bet!!
Hi BH PNP,
We bought our house in middleton for $10,000 less than the asking price, doesn't sound a lot you might say but it was only up for $97,000 in the 1st place.
It's a buyers market in MOST places and i would suggest that to only get 5% off would be abysmal. I would (and did) offer 20% below asking, 9/10 they will come back with a counter offer, you can then counter that offer etc etc.
Where in Lawrencetown are you?
Old Aug 17th 2005, 2:25 pm
Nova Scotian

BH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant future

Hi Andy and Sheila

Sounds like you got a good deal. But like I said Halifax Regional is only around 95% of asking price and even that can be pushed to 97-98%. These are industry accepted figures in the Real estate market here (sorry, I'm a NS realtor as one of the strings to my bow and I love stats). Property is such a premium especially Halifax and Dartmouth. This is predominately why we are seeing more and more condomiums, which this year sales of high rise units have exceeded single family homes.

We're in the Cole habour end of Lawrencetown, just past Ross Road. I haven't been down to Middleton yet. How is it?
Old Aug 18th 2005, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CJ'n'BJ
Do houses tend to sell at over or under their asking price (compared with the UK norm where asking prices are annoyingly pitched too low to encourage more offers)? Or does it depend on area?

And, in general, has everyone - everyone reading this that is! - moved 'up' from the home they had in the UK?

Looking at the mls.ca site it looks like we can afford some amazing properties, but of course, salaries are lower... Though since we don't yet know what our typical earnings could be, we're trying not to get too excited about a water front property with several decks, etc. etc.

Cheers,
CJ
www.mls.ca is the place to check prices.
In cities it`s a sellers market.
In towns more then 2 hours drive and not with a waterfront view it`s a buyers market most definitely.
People build on as their family extends, not sell and move up.
When the children grow and go, they down size by moving.
This is when you can get the 4/5 bedroom bargain.
Also beware, towns on a waterfront charge very high local tax (like UK community charge) as they make an extra effort in the summer to clean up for tourists, this drives out the poorer locals, if you see a bargain like that, check taxes first.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

CJ'n'BJ is a jewel in the roughCJ'n'BJ is a jewel in the roughCJ'n'BJ is a jewel in the roughCJ'n'BJ is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for all the advice/tips. We're heading over this Sunday (getting excited ).

Hope the weather's going to pick up while we're there!! Had enough of damp, dreich, dreary here....

CJ
Old Aug 18th 2005, 2:21 pm
Nova Scotian

I think Sunday and Monday is due rain but then back to normal. Have fun and I hope you enjoy your visit.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 5:38 pm
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CJ'n'BJ
Thanks for all the advice/tips. We're heading over this Sunday (getting excited ).

Hope the weather's going to pick up while we're there!! Had enough of damp, dreich, dreary here....

CJ
One more tip for you when you are about to buy. You can ask for a list of properties that have recently sold in your desired area and the price they sold at. This may help to set your offer. Also the ones that have sat on MLS for 12 months will be the ones to bid down on.
Have a great trip and you can tell Mr Immigration officer the Crispies are coming soon!
Old Aug 19th 2005, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Crispie
One more tip for you when you are about to buy. You can ask for a list of properties that have recently sold in your desired area and the price they sold at. This may help to set your offer. Also the ones that have sat on MLS for 12 months will be the ones to bid down on.
Have a great trip and you can tell Mr Immigration officer the Crispies are coming soon!

WHEN?????
Old Aug 19th 2005, 6:22 pm
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Halifax Area - house prices

Originally Posted by Corky
WHEN?????
Don't get mad at me.....

I must owe you a dozen e-mails!

God I feel like I'm coming out when I'm not even gay.....

September 2nd 2005 !!!!

YAHOOOOOOOO!
Old Aug 19th 2005, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

WOOOOHOOOOO That is just great news. Canada will never be the same now....Looking forward to it!
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

sue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud of

Hi there
Found this thread as i was looking for information about Nova Scotia. Wondering if anyone could give me some websites, i have the government ones, etc about the different areas. Not looking for city really but neither rural. Somewhere with transport so the kids can get around without being 'taxied' everywhere. Does the Annapolos valley have public transport anywhere. Wary of moving to places that dont as we have played cab driver to the kids for the past 4 years here in Ontario.
Any help appreciated. I find this website and these forums full of interesting info and a great help. Thanks to you all.

Originally Posted by Corky
WOOOOHOOOOO That is just great news. Canada will never be the same now....Looking forward to it!
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

torticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sue8899
Hi there
Found this thread as i was looking for information about Nova Scotia. Wondering if anyone could give me some websites, i have the government ones, etc about the different areas. Not looking for city really but neither rural. Somewhere with transport so the kids can get around without being 'taxied' everywhere. Does the Annapolos valley have public transport anywhere. Wary of moving to places that dont as we have played cab driver to the kids for the past 4 years here in Ontario.
Any help appreciated. I find this website and these forums full of interesting info and a great help. Thanks to you all.

Hi Sue

Try www.movingtonovascotia.com it has some great info and links to follow
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 7:31 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there
Hi Sue
I wouldn't recommend the valley if you don't want to ferry the kids around. It is a beautiful and peacefull place but public transport (or lack of it) is one of it's drawbacks.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

mikejw is on a distinguished road

Hi There

A really excellent and objective site to give you some links is
novascotiacometo life.com

Orla

Hi there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.