Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hairdresser moving from the UK

Hairdresser moving from the UK

Old Dec 5th 2018, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Kwild is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hairdresser moving from the UK

Hi, wondering if anyone could help me. Looking for some info on hairdressers salary for Canada, looking on the internet it looks like I would take a massive pay cut moving over to Canada. But I’m wondering if there’s any expats or anyone who has anymore info on a rough salary for a hairdresser?

Also what is a comfortable salary to live off in salary?

Thank you
Old Dec 5th 2018, 10:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hairdresser moving from the UK

Hi, welcome to BE.

Whereabouts are are you looking to move to? Canada is such a huge country that salaries & cost of housing will vary massively, so you’ll need to be a bit more specific really.

Just checking, are you aware hairdressing is a regulated trade in Canada? If you search the forum you’ll no doubt find info in the exams you’ll have to pass to work there.

Best of luck.
Old Dec 6th 2018, 12:23 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Hairdressers we know are self employed and rent chairs in salons, not on salary. How much they earn depends how busy they get. Some get paid by the hour, often min wage + tips.

Comfortable salary to live off? Depends where one lives, how much cash you have behind you and what is your comfortable lifestyle.
Old Dec 6th 2018, 9:06 am
Just Joined

I haven’t been able to find much info about the exams, would you know where to find these?

we are looking at a few different areas, Edmonton, Alberta, Vancouver.
A comfortable lifestyle being able to have a 2/3 bed house, some spare cash and not live month to month.
Sorry my initial message was a little brief.
Thank you
Old Dec 6th 2018, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kwild
I haven’t been able to find much info about the exams, would you know where to find these?

A comfortable lifestyle being able to have a 2/3 bed house, some spare cash and not live month to month.
Thank you
Well I think you can discount Vancouver then

Working in Alberta

To work as a hairstylist in Alberta, a person must be a registered apprentice, an Alberta-certified journeyperson, or hold a valid recognized credential.

Individuals possessing a valid recognized credential in Alberta are eligible to receive a Blue Seal business credential after completing the necessary requirements.

https://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/trad...profiles/0421/
Old Dec 6th 2018, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you
Definitely rule out Vancouver unless your partner makes a huge salary

Most hairdressers here seem to rent chairs in a salon, so you have to work up your own clientele.

A 2/3 bedroom house in Vancouver is currently costing between $1.5-$2 million depending on area and type of house (older, newer, larger lot, etc) ........... you have to have either a 10% or 20% down payment and subject to means test that you will be able to sustain mortgage payments if interest rates increase. Condos and townhouses are a little lower.

Selling prices are currently dropping, and it is a buyers market ......... IF you can afford the amount I've just quoted. I doubt prices will go much lower than $1 million unless it is an absolute wreck!

It is commonly said that a couple needs an annual income of around $80,000-$100,000 in order to "live a comfortable life" in Vancouver.
Old Dec 6th 2018, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your reply.
My partner is an airline First officer so his salary won’t be terrible but won’t be the best to start with. Haha maybe we should rule out Vancouver.

Its there any areas you can suggest that aren’t as high priced?
Neighbourhoods that we could have a look at?
Its hard to know good and not so good areas when only visiting on holiday.
thank you.
Old Dec 6th 2018, 11:40 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your reply.
My partner is an airline First officer so his salary won’t be terrible but won’t be the best to start with. Haha maybe we should rule out Vancouver.

Its there any areas you can suggest that aren’t as high priced?
Neighbourhoods that we could have a look at?
Its hard to know good and not so good areas when only visiting on holiday.
thank you.
I used to commute from Abbotsford to CYVR, not terrible as it was not a daily commute.
Old Dec 8th 2018, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice so far, so without much more knowledge in an ideal world we would be looking at something like the following:

60min commute time to the International Airport, ideally 30-45 but not knowing distances / scale not sure how viable this is. 90minute commute would have to be the absolute max for work purposes but also comfort unless a commuting contract became available. The suburbs or as close too would be high on the priority list,

In in terms of housing, a nice 2 ideally 3 bedroom place or space for an office with a garden, driveway with space for 2 cars but a garage / carport would be lovely and a nice size family kitchen diner. Nothing fancy just cosy.

If expectations arent way off and my partner can get with the airline he likes we’d be looking at a household income of around $70,000 upon arriving in Canada increasing to around $110,000 in our 2nd / 3rd years respectively which has the potential to jump substantially / almost double if he becomes a captain in the not too distant future.

In terms of things we like to do, we enjoy walks, family time. coffee dates, going to restaurants, drives, the gym and shopping to name a few.

Other costs we’d like some help with are the things you generally don’t consider eg higher insurance costs for being new to the country, buying or leasing cars and so on.

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 8th 2018, 9:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have children or is it just the 2 of you?
Old Dec 8th 2018, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

It’s just the two of us