Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Gutted ! Air transat are no longer taking pets!

Gutted ! Air transat are no longer taking pets!

Old May 2nd 2007, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

thundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nice
Default Re: Gutted ! Air transat are no longer taking pets!

thanks lisa
i really want to take them with me but wasn't sure i was doing it for the best reasons and just wondered what others were doing/thinking
Old May 2nd 2007, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lisa_W
Our cats are both 12 years old and we are taking them with us. I read or heard somewhere that in older cats it is sometimes more stressful for them to be rehomed than it is to take them with you, because at least at the end of the journey they will be returned to you. Can't remember where I heard this, but it sounded reasonable to me.

Lisa
One of our friends who is a vet said the same thing. He said realistically the flying thing is fine for them (especially as older cats tend to sleep more) but rehoming at that age can be incredibly traumatic! We're taking our 14+ year old cat with us...

We were going transat but now I have no idea of who we'll be using!
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:48 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lisa_W
Our cats are both 12 years old and we are taking them with us. I read or heard somewhere that in older cats it is sometimes more stressful for them to be rehomed than it is to take them with you, because at least at the end of the journey they will be returned to you. Can't remember where I heard this, but it sounded reasonable to me.

Lisa
I agree - we are taking ours dogs with us who are 12 and 15. They are going to have one hell of a day travelling but once they get there (and hopefully they will!) they will have a wonderful place to live with the family they know. If we tried to rehome them, it would take them a long time to settle and may be they wouldn't so taking them has to be the best way to go.
Old May 2nd 2007, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

moonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nice

Originally Posted by gloveman
I agree - we are taking ours dogs with us who are 12 and 15. They are going to have one hell of a day travelling but once they get there (and hopefully they will!) they will have a wonderful place to live with the family they know. If we tried to rehome them, it would take them a long time to settle and may be they wouldn't so taking them has to be the best way to go.
I don't now have pets but I think the likelihood of getting older cats or dogs rehomed is quite small. Best to take them if cost is not an issue
Old May 2nd 2007, 9:47 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moonraker
I don't now have pets but I think the likelihood of getting older cats or dogs rehomed is quite small. Best to take them if cost is not an issue
It is going to be quite a worrying time and I'll be so glad to see them safe and well at Vancouver. The journey will be quite stressful for the dogs (and us) but it will be worth it. If the dogs couldn't come, I wouldn't be going.
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

moonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nice

Heard on the radio that someone inadvertantly carried their cat in their suitcase from St John NB to Toronto. The Xray machine picked up a shape in their luggage and they were,asked if they were carrying a turkey. After persuading security that they weren't, the suitcase was loaded on and off the plane, and after a 2 hour drive to Niagra the cat popped out of the case at the hotel. Might be worth a go if you have a cat or small dog.
Old May 23rd 2007, 11:40 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Feeling very disturbed by that last post n this thread... imagine they had to wear those clothes in that suitcase after the cat had been zipped up in ther for 15+ hours defecating all over itself & they threw on a shirt or blouse... nasty!!