Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Gutted ! Air transat are no longer taking pets!

Gutted ! Air transat are no longer taking pets!

Old Apr 26th 2007, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to all
Default Re: Gutted ! Air transat are no longer taking pets!

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
Out of interest are you using a company to transport your cat?
hi there.
i am usuing air supply shipping agents.....cost was about £400 including kennel.if there is any other info, you can PM me
Paul
Old Apr 26th 2007, 5:51 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Don't think so - we went with Zoom and had to use Ladyhaye. They were actually very good, albeit expensive.

There is also a massive difference going excess baggage as opposed to cargo when you finally arrive (as I understand). With excess baggage pet will be waiting for you at the carousel whereas we had to clear immigration and customs, travel to cargo area to pick up dogs' paperwork, travel back to airport terminal and get paperwork signed by customs, travel back to cargo area and pick up dogs.

It added about 2 hours to our landing time :curse:
All too true unfortunately. We luckily got our two cats through as excess baggage with Transat last August and it was a as simple as booking them in at the desk at Glasgow and then collecting them at the baggage carousel in Toronto. Cost us under 400 pounds for both cats.

Looks like we'll be throwing them into a suitcase if we need to go back then.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by polarbearmum
sorry, you have to use Ladyhaye travelling from Calgary to Gatwick and I assumed it was the same in the other direction.
We flew Gatwick to Calgary (via Glasgow) and were told we had to use Ladyhaye
Old Apr 27th 2007, 4:02 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

Pay the money! We used Zoom and Jet Set pets. Unfortunatley this was one of only two companes Zoom allowed to make the booking. That is all they do fill in the paper work.
It is money for old rope as previous said. We arrived late at Vancouver, and despite being the only immigrants inline the customs lady deided to make our entry to Canada hell, it took well over an hour. Then they had no idea where our dog was. They also said Zoom had paper work wrong and they had had several incidents with them similar they were not happy with. Like others. my dog was eventually found well away from airport in a warehouse on her own, where she had not been let out since Gatwick some 12 hours approx with flight and customs. She had a wet box where they had overfilled her wter bowl, desperate to get out for a pee, and my daughter and I were distraught with worry after a long flight when she could not be located. Once we had taken paper work to warehouse ( it was very hard to find in the dark in a taxi, we had to return to airport get docs stamped again, then return for dog. Some 90 minutes by now, as taxi drivers do not want dogs, or dogs with crates. We had booked into airport hotel for the night, so had no hire car until morning. Pay Air Canada, and take pets as excess baggage, then you get them near where your luggage is collected, and looked after by staff used to handling animals ( hoepefuuly) and no stress for you. Worth every penny.

Originally Posted by claire bob and matt
Air Transat told my hubby (Bob aka Snowman) that as of last week they are no longer taking pets!

Adds £900 to the bill:curse: :curse: to go with Air Canada!

Anyone know of another courier?

C
Old Apr 27th 2007, 5:22 am
Happy as a pig in treacle

claire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud of

Thanks for all your replies. We sat down and went through all the connotation last night, Zoom with Ladyhaye or Jet Set whatever their called with Bob and Matt on same flight, Air Canada as cargo etc.

Turns out it's only £20 more expensive to fly the dog with Air Canada as cargo, and pay the extra for Bob and Matt's seats, than to buy cheaper seats for B & M and pay for the dog through a pet carrier!

Bob's still not happy though, because if he was buying a return ticket with Air Canada his flight would be nearly £450 cheaper Can't think of a good explanation of why he would need to take a dog on a return flight! I'm not sure he needs one, but then I'm getting crazy anyway!

C
Old Apr 27th 2007, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of

Claire, do you mean you are buying one way tickets with Air Canada then, and if so why???

I am buying a return ticket, and just not using the return. We do this at work often when staff are on strange multi destination journeys, and it is often cheaper to buy a return and not use the return part of it.

The only time you get caught out is if you dont use the outbound part of the ticket, then they will automatically cancel the return part.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 12:19 pm
Happy as a pig in treacle

claire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud of

B is worried about justifying a return ticket with the dog in tow? I won;t be there, I arrive in Calgary tomorrow!
C
Old Apr 27th 2007, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of

He could be flying to deliver the dog to you???

People do that rather than use a handling agency for their animals
Old Apr 29th 2007, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

peterb is an unknown quantity at this point

We have booked with Air Canada and our dog cost about £130 plus £60 for the crate.

BA insist pets go cargo and you have to use a pet travel agency Air Canada still take the dog the old way.

hope that helps

Peterb
Old Apr 29th 2007, 3:10 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by peterb
We have booked with Air Canada and our dog cost about £130 plus £60 for the crate.

BA insist pets go cargo and you have to use a pet travel agency Air Canada still take the dog the old way.

hope that helps

Peterb
After a brief look:

Air Canada will cost around 1 grand for two people in June thats not including two cats yet, They will be cheaper at £900 for a return ticket at the same time but still not including two cats. But it will mean I can leave straight from Edinburgh Airport, but traveling time will be longer and I will have to go to Edinburgh-London-Toronto-Halifax (17hours "phew")

Zoom costs around £500 for two people from Glasgow in June (one way) and thats not including two cats through Ladyhaye or Jets 4 Pets but will have to get to Glasgow somehow or maybe East Kilbride and stay with parents for a night. But the travel is direct to Halifax. (7 Hour fight)

Looks like I have lots to think about I cant even do anything right now as I'm still wating for paperwork. At least I have some idea.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 5:30 pm

After a brief look:

Air Canada will cost around 1 grand for two people in June thats not including two cats yet, They will be cheaper at £900 for a return ticket at the same time but still not including two cats. But it will mean I can leave straight from Edinburgh Airport, but traveling time will be longer and I will have to go to Edinburgh-London-Toronto-Halifax (17hours "phew")

Zoom costs around £500 for two people from Glasgow in June (one way) and thats not including two cats through Ladyhaye or Jets 4 Pets but will have to get to Glasgow somehow or maybe East Kilbride and stay with parents for a night. But the travel is direct to Halifax. (7 Hour fight)

Looks like I have lots to think about I cant even do anything right now as I'm still wating for paperwork. At least I have some idea.
So I got my quotes which will be at least £600ish for two cats using either "jets 4 pets" or "ladyhaye" so I'm thinking it'll be better to go for Zoom still as it's less of a stress for them as I can fly direct from Scotland to NS. Just though I'd let you all know.
Old May 1st 2007, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of

We have been quoted the same for flying manchester to Calgary with two cats. That is using Air Supply shipping agents and they will fly them with Air Transat which is annoying when we know how much it would have cost to take them ourselves on the same airline!! I have already bought our own transit kennels and the quote is only slightly cheaper using our own kennels than it was when I originally got a quote with the company supplying the kennels - but at least this way I know they have definitely got enough room and we can leave the kennels in the house for them to get used to them beforehand.

Lisa
Old May 1st 2007, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

thundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nice

So I got my quotes which will be at least £600ish for two cats using either "jets 4 pets" or "ladyhaye" so I'm thinking it'll be better to go for Zoom still as it's less of a stress for them as I can fly direct from Scotland to NS. Just though I'd let you all know.
HI
Can I ask how old your cats are?

we're looking at taking our 2 with us next year and they'll be getting on for 13 yrs old
much as i love my cats i'm wondering whether the stress (to them and me) and expense will be worth it, or should i just make plans to get them rehomed? i know they could have anywhere between 3 and 5 years more to live (or more if they're careful! lol) and they would be great company for me if OH is away working.

cheers, TC
Old May 1st 2007, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by thundercat600
HI

we're looking at taking our 2 with us next year and they'll be getting on for 13 yrs old
much as i love my cats i'm wondering whether the stress (to them and me) and expense will be worth it, or should i just make plans to get them rehomed? i know they could have anywhere between 3 and 5 years more to live (or more if they're careful! lol) and they would be great company for me if OH is away working.

cheers, TC
one is 4 and the other is 2
Old May 1st 2007, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by thundercat600
HI

cheers, TC
Our cats are both 12 years old and we are taking them with us. I read or heard somewhere that in older cats it is sometimes more stressful for them to be rehomed than it is to take them with you, because at least at the end of the journey they will be returned to you. Can't remember where I heard this, but it sounded reasonable to me.

Lisa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.