Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Gutted ! Air transat are no longer taking pets!

Gutted ! Air transat are no longer taking pets!

Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of
Default Re: Gutted ! Air transat are no longer taking pets!

Originally Posted by steve666
I don't understand you people, KILL them! Get new pets in Canada!
If you had to pay for your kids to go with you would you worry about money???
Look at your faces :-0
Bad Boy!!!
Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by claire bob and matt
Air Transat told my hubby (Bob aka Snowman) that as of last week they are no longer taking pets!

Adds £900 to the bill:curse: :curse: to go with Air Canada!

Anyone know of another courier?

C
Hi C, B & M.
I am obviosuly missing the point, it is only about £120 to take my cat with Air Canada, so why is it costing you so much?

Hope you find a good solution. Certianly understand about wanting to minimise teh stress for them and fly direct. I am lucky in that LHR is my closest anyway.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:47 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by polarbearmum
If you are flying zoom you have to use Ladyhaye.
Zoom told us when we enquired ( jet 4 pets )
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:51 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gloveman
Thank goodness for that!
My 3 cats are flying air transit on friday to Vancouver.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robski
Hi C, B & M.
I am obviosuly missing the point, it is only about £120 to take my cat with Air Canada, so why is it costing you so much?

Hope you find a good solution. Certianly understand about wanting to minimise teh stress for them and fly direct. I am lucky in that LHR is my closest anyway.
Up until recently some airlines allowed you to take pets as excess baggage rather than as cargo. Excess baggage and cargo are in the exact same place in the plane (insofar as pets are concerned). So no real difference.

Airlines tended to have a fixed price for excess baggage (ie $150 irrespective of size of crate) with cargo the price depends on the size of the crate.

In addition, most airlines allowed you to book your pets onto their flight yourself if you went excess baggage, but forced you to use a pet travel agency if you went cargo - with the added expense.

Had we moved to Calgary 3 months earlier our dogs would have cost us $500 to take as excess baggage as opposed to the $4500 they cost as cargo :curse:
Old Apr 24th 2007, 11:00 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by benjy
Hi,

Just checked with ladyhey in Surrey. To fly my cat to Calgary in Oct from Manchester will cost 585.00 inc of their crate. Hope this helps. I was concerened I too would have to ad to his (the cat) stress by driving to Heathrow from York...thank god I don't!!
Try jets 4 pets, they quoted us £600 and something for 3 cats at beginning of year including cages with zoom airlines from Manchester to Vancouver.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 5:24 am

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sans
My 3 cats are flying air transit on friday to Vancouver.
Can you please let me know how it goes - we are taking 3 dogs to Vancouver with AirTransat in May. cheers Angela
Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Up until recently some airlines allowed you to take pets as excess baggage rather than as cargo. Excess baggage and cargo are in the exact same place in the plane (insofar as pets are concerned). So no real difference.

Airlines tended to have a fixed price for excess baggage (ie $150 irrespective of size of crate) with cargo the price depends on the size of the crate.

In addition, most airlines allowed you to book your pets onto their flight yourself if you went excess baggage, but forced you to use a pet travel agency if you went cargo - with the added expense.

Had we moved to Calgary 3 months earlier our dogs would have cost us $500 to take as excess baggage as opposed to the $4500 they cost as cargo :curse:

Cor blimey, poor you guys, what a difference.

Yes, i am taking my cat as excess backage and taking her with me to check in when i fly with AC. I realise this only works for people with smaller pets (total weight incl. cage of less than 32 kg's) and the downside is it means i cant book a cheap oneway ticket for myself as you can with the budget airlines, but hey at least i get more luggage allowance
Old Apr 25th 2007, 8:37 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by gloveman
Can you please let me know how it goes - we are taking 3 dogs to Vancouver with AirTransat in May. cheers Angela
will do, providing i can get on line
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:20 am

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sans
will do, providing i can get on line
Thanks - have a good trip!
Old Apr 25th 2007, 6:26 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought Zoom took pets without having to go with a company??

As it could change my plans.

Emma
Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
I thought Zoom took pets without having to go with a company??

As it could change my plans.

Emma
Don't think so - we went with Zoom and had to use Ladyhaye. They were actually very good, albeit expensive.

There is also a massive difference going excess baggage as opposed to cargo when you finally arrive (as I understand). With excess baggage pet will be waiting for you at the carousel whereas we had to clear immigration and customs, travel to cargo area to pick up dogs' paperwork, travel back to airport terminal and get paperwork signed by customs, travel back to cargo area and pick up dogs.

It added about 2 hours to our landing time :curse:
Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by polarbearmum
If you are flying zoom you have to use Ladyhaye.
Not true.

I have just booked my dog on a zoom flight from Gatwick to Halifax using Animal airlines. £560.

Lady haye were considerably more.

Penny
Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Actually any of the pet transport companies can make the booking on any flight (for an extorionate fee), you just can't book the dog/cat yourself.

Money for old rope.

Penny
Old Apr 25th 2007, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

polarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pennyhp
Not true.

I have just booked my dog on a zoom flight from Gatwick to Halifax using Animal airlines. £560.

Lady haye were considerably more.

Penny
sorry, you have to use Ladyhaye travelling from Calgary to Gatwick and I assumed it was the same in the other direction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.