Wikiposts

Guns Etc

Old Jun 2nd 2008, 5:56 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guns Etc

Originally Posted by Gazruss
Excuse me....i too have gun licenses, am i member of several gun clubs, and the Toronto Sportsman Assoc.......you ever heard of the need for an ATT......where can you "go into a Walmart" and buy a handgun? Water pistol maybe..... Without being a member of a gun club you can not LEGALLY buy a handgun because of the need for the ATT.
Oh !! the difference .. Down here in Fl ...
I have a carry permit ...can buy whenever I like
carry whatever I like ... and own as many as I like ..

And its illegal for the sheriff to know what I have ...
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

Gazruss is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikey9863
Are guns readily available in Canada? I would hate to think that there are gun totting crack heads roaming the street waiting to strike for their next deal with the assistance of mr Smith and mr Wesson.

Originally Posted by dbd33
Sure, if it's a restricted weapon, you need permit for the specific route over which the gun is to transported, gun store to home, home to club, home to other club but not for the specific journey - it's hardly an onerous restriction.

Are you in disagreement with the central point, that anyone in Canada can have lots of guns if he or she so desires?

Only in response to what the OP was asking, we are not a nation (i don't think) where guns are carried as a matter of course, or business done with the assistance of Mr. Wesson......apart from the gang bangers who the gov or cops have no stomach to go after, the average guy in the street will not come across one. I am a long time shooter who used to shoot in the UK before that guy went postal in Scotland and made my hobby as popular as pedophilia, I like the ability to be able to take part in shooting activity's and not be called a potential mass murderer......
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 6:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazruss
Only in response to what the OP was asking, we are not a nation (i don't think) where guns are carried as a matter of course,
Agreed.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 12:04 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

I once read an article here that read along the following (I dotn remember exact figures but they were there abouts) but the ration speaks for itself

Country Pop No Of Guns No Of Gun related Homicides
USA 300M 150M 15000
Canada 30M 10M 300

My GF was a cop in TO, 51 division pretty much the worst Canada has to offer, many NYC cops would come and ride along and compare it to the Bronx, she and any officer in her division could get an illegal handgun within 2 hours no problem. The problem isnt registered weapons its unregistered and no gun laws (tell that to Miller) will ever stop that, onyl education and the mentality of the country which you live hence why Canada has a lot less deaths per capita than the US.

P.S I Love my browning 12 guage pump action.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikey B
I once read an article here that read along the following (I dotn remember exact figures but they were there abouts) but the ration speaks for itself

Country Pop No Of Guns No Of Gun related Homicides
USA 300M 150M 15000
Canada 30M 10M 300

My GF was a cop in TO, 51 division pretty much the worst Canada has to offer, many NYC cops would come and ride along and compare it to the Bronx, she and any officer in her division could get an illegal handgun within 2 hours no problem. The problem isnt registered weapons its unregistered and no gun laws (tell that to Miller) will ever stop that, onyl education and the mentality of the country which you live hence why Canada has a lot less deaths per capita than the US.

P.S I Love my browning 12 guage pump action.
Here are some figures for gun related deaths :

http://www.gun-control-network.org/GF01.htm

And here's a chart of homicides:

http://www.gun-control-network.org/GF10.htm

Canada's rate of gun murders may compare favourably with that of the US but it's still nearly seven times that of England and Wales.

More guns = more people shot, simple as that.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

And less guns = more people getting their brains smashed out of their skull with blunt objects.

Obviously in a world with no guns, no-one would be shot; but that's a pointless comparison. What matters is how likely we are to be murdered, and if anything the odds of a random middle-class Briton being murdered in Canada are probably lower than the UK; we tend not to go into areas where murder rates are high.

As mentioned earlier, the only people who are disarmed by 'gun control' laws are the law-abiding; who are the last people you should be disarming, since, by definition, they don't go around robbing stores and murdering people.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by MarkG
And less guns = more people getting their brains smashed out of their skull with blunt objects.
I don't think that holds at all. Shooting someone is simple, a trivial act, bashing someone's head in takes determination and risks failure due to them fighting back or running away.

Obviously in a world with no guns, no-one would be shot; but that's a pointless comparison. What matters is how likely we are to be murdered, and if anything the odds of a random middle-class Briton being murdered in Canada are probably lower than the UK; we tend not to go into areas where murder rates are high.
Why would such a person be more likely to go to a dangerous location in the UK than in Canada? That doesn't seem probably but, anyway, since most people are murdered by someone they know it seems a red herring.

Last edited by dbd33; Jun 2nd 2008 at 1:44 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:33 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=105x2164423

In Indiana there's also the danger of being killed by gnus. Clearly no gnus is good gnus.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

What matters is how likely we are to be murdered, and if anything the odds of a random middle-class Briton being murdered in Canada are probably lower than the UK; we tend not to go into areas where murder rates are high.
I don't know that anyone keeps statistics on murdered middle class Britons but I suggest that the overall UK murder rate of .7/100,000 vs. the Canadian one of 1.85 is due, in part, to relative difficult of killing someone by bashing their 'ead in.

Rates from here:

http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/070718/d070718b.htm

www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs07/hosb1107.pdf
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that holds at all. Shooting someone is simple, a trivial act,
Then why is it so rare? Why are the vast majority of civilian owned guns never used to harm anyone? Why did the US military have to work so hard to even get soldiers to shoot each other in WWII? Why was the massive increase in concealed gun carry in America over the last couple of decades accompanied by a reduction in murder rates?

And why is it that US criminological studies show that a criminal with a gun is substantially less likely to use it than a criminal with a knife?

bashing someone's head in takes determination and risks failure due to them fighting back or running away.
Not when you're a twenty-something thug and they're a middle-aged, disarmed victim; if it was that hard, there wouldn't be so many murders in Britain.

The simple fact is that if someone has decided to go and murder someone, the tool they use doesn't much matter; you can murder someone with ordinary household objects in dozens of different ways if you're determined to do so, and the second-largest mass murder in American history was conducted with gasoline and a match (the largest, of course, was with knives and airliners). It's well past time to stop blaming the objects and start dealing with the murderers.

Otherwise you end up in the absurd situation where banning guns in the UK has done little to reduce violent crime rates so they're now having to ban knives and even replica guns. At what point do you admit defeat and try something different?

Why would such a person be more likely to go to a dangerous location in the UK than in Canada?
Because crime seems to be far more localised in Canada than the UK; avoid the bad areas here and there isn't much of a problem. Increasingly in the UK there's nothing but bad areas.

That doesn't seem probably but, anyway, since most people are murdered by someone they know it seems a red herring.
Sure; most inner-city drug dealers in America are 'murdered by someone they know'... other inner-city drug dealers. Similarly, most cops in America who are shot dead are 'shot with their own gun'... because they use it to kill themselves.

Seriously, I'd really suggest you try reading some actual criminology rather than sites run by anti-gun fanatics. You might find that the results are a little different.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Not when you're a twenty-something thug and they're a middle-aged, disarmed victim; if it was that hard, there wouldn't be so many murders in Britain.
But there aren't.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

The simple fact is that if someone has decided to go and murder someone, the tool they use doesn't much matter;
I suggest we can see that the tool very much matters by looking at the rate of child deaths from firearms (the third leading cause of child deaths in Canada): .4/100,000 children die in firearms related incidents. Obviously shooting doesn't rank anywhere in the leading causes of death for European children, does beating over the head kill them with such frequency?

Numbers here: http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/pol-leg/re.../summary_e.asp
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 2:27 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

I have to agree with points made here, If you live and work in Barrie or Oakville then chances are about the same as in the UK as being shot if not less and a lot better I might add of not being stabbed or beat to death in a bakery if your a 16 year old kid (If the story from a cple of months ago serves me right).

If you head to Regent park (where 51 division Toronto Police are) or Jane and Finch or Scarborough chances are a lot higher of being shot than the UK and yes you get the accidents like the yonge st shooting a cple years back but take a look at the murderers and victims my gf and her fellow cops had to deal with and without sounding ageist, sexist, druggist or whatever else look at their age, backgroung, education, gender, whether they are into crime or not previously, drugs or not!?

Point is most (yes most not all) of these young guys (i.e men) are Criminals or wonnabe criminals and drug dealers not decent law abiding folk and whether with knives and fists and bats like in the uk or guns like canada and the US murder will happen in this group, they know no better and thats their way of life no matter what we try and do and as a law abiding citizen you take steps to avoing living and going into these areas, they are well known to everyone.

I think if u look at the stats for the amount of guns in the country for the population then homicides with a firearm are pretty low and without un-inventing the gun it will never go away, Its not like there has been no gun crime in the UK in the past where its actually illegal. I personally think Canada is one of the safest countries I have even been to and Ive been to about 30 odd.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 2:38 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Here are some figures for gun related deaths :

http://www.gun-control-network.org/GF01.htm

And here's a chart of homicides:

http://www.gun-control-network.org/GF10.htm

Canada's rate of gun murders may compare favourably with that of the US but it's still nearly seven times that of England and Wales.

Anti gun sites are hardly the best for accurate info ...
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 3:00 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
Anti gun sites are hardly the best for accurate info ...
So what are the flaws in their statistics?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.