British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Gunman on the loose - Moncton (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/gunman-loose-moncton-835655/)

JamesM Jun 15th 2014 5:54 pm

Re: Gunman on the loose - Moncton

Originally Posted by scootb (Post 11301360)
I see that Australia despite its firearms ban is experiencing an all time high in firearms related crime!
I guess gun control really does work after all.

Yeah lifting the firearms ban would clear that up and no doubt reduce fire arm use.

Your logic is absolute genius.

More guns less shootings. I see it now.

MountainHiker Jun 15th 2014 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11302888)
Yeah lifting the firearms ban would clear that up and no doubt reduce fire arm use.

I'm just going to leave this link here as playing devils advocate is always fun.

Disarming Realities: As Gun Sales Soar, Gun Crimes Plummet - Forbes

The figures say exactly that gun ownership has increased and gun related homicide rate has decreased in the US

chanceUK Jun 15th 2014 7:48 pm

To Rae:

It was the police officer that shot the raccoon for no reason other than to show off.

JamesM Jun 15th 2014 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by MountainHiker (Post 11302907)
I'm just going to leave this link here as playing devils advocate is always fun.

The figures say exactly that gun ownership has increased and gun related homicide rate has decreased in the US

Good article.

It highlights in their stats that 70% of homicides are caused by guns and only 40% of guns are acquired illegally on a survey of inmates.

So in theory whilst it does suggest no correlation between number of guns sold and people killed by guns it does allow for room that tighter gun controls would cut the percentage rate of homicides.

None the less nice that some one has finally put out a tangible article to read.

JamesM Jun 15th 2014 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by MountainHiker (Post 11302907)

Good article.

It highlights in their stats that 70% of homicides are caused by guns and only 40% of guns are acquired illegally on a survey of inmates.

So in theory whilst it does suggest no correlation between number of guns sold and people killed by guns it does allow for room that tighter gun controls would cut the percentage rate of homicides and crimes committed using guns.

None the less nice that someone has finally put out a tangible article to read.

Also worth doing some research on the author of the article who has a history on writing controversial articles.

rae Jun 18th 2014 2:01 am

Originally Posted by chanceUK (Post 11302999)
To Rae:

It was the police officer that shot the raccoon for no reason other than to show off.

Sad to hear that. Getting a ride along with a knob can put people off, sure it is just a one off, I would not believe this tool if he says everyone does it, he is trying to justify his actions.

scootb Jun 20th 2014 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11303012)
Good article.

So in theory whilst it does suggest no correlation between number of guns sold and people killed by guns it does allow for room that tighter gun controls would cut the percentage rate of homicides and crimes committed using guns.

None the less nice that someone has finally put out a tangible article to read.

Also worth doing some research on the author of the article who has a history on writing controversial articles.

There have been plenty of articles for you to read,you are simply too ignorant to accept them!
There will be some changes to the firearms act in Sept/Oct this year I hear :)

scootb Jun 20th 2014 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11302888)

Well as I said,the firearms ban seems to be working wonders for Australia does it not lol.