British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Gunman on the loose - Moncton (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/gunman-loose-moncton-835655/)

BristolUK Jun 5th 2014 3:05 am

Gunman on the loose - Moncton

It's all over the telly and the world's press.

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 5th 2014 3:08 am

Re: Gunman on the loose - Moncton

Stay safe and doors and windows locked.

3 RCMP dead, 2 wounded.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...ting-1.2665359

Danny B Jun 5th 2014 3:18 am

1 Attachment(s)
https://twitter.com/RCMPNB/status/474359840807321600

Alan2005 Jun 5th 2014 3:40 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11288757)
It's all over the telly and the world's press.

Yeah. I did wonder if you'd gone wacko:eek:

JamesM Jun 5th 2014 3:49 am

Serious stuff. Just watching the hospital interview now.

Hopefully they catch/ wack the shooter soon.

ann m Jun 5th 2014 4:57 am

He'll be willing to take out many more before they finally shoot him, or he blows his own brains out :(

Siouxie Jun 5th 2014 6:18 am

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/TV%20S...ID/2462234900/

Dreadful.

caretaker Jun 5th 2014 10:45 am

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 11288824)
He'll be willing to take out many more before they finally shoot him, or he blows his own brains out :(

Depending on what his plan is (how far ahead he's thought it out) he may have slipped the cordon and got away, already commited suicide, or could be holed up in a prepared defensive position ready to do battle. At least now the sun's up the law should have airborne drones with cameras as well as IR imaging searching the forest. A witness said he has 2 assault rifles, a crossbow and a knife. I'm guessing when he is located police will assume he could have explosives as well and approach accordingly. His use of facebook revealing his identity indicates he isn't planning on getting away with it so I'm not holding my breath that he'll surrender.

MikeUK Jun 5th 2014 11:33 am

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 11289079)
Depending on what his plan is (how far ahead he's thought it out) he may have slipped the cordon and got away, .

my memory of the region is its covered with Pine forest, you could travel for miles and miles and not be seen..

magnumpi Jun 5th 2014 12:50 pm

Still not found him. Moncton on lockdown I hear

withabix Jun 5th 2014 1:27 pm

Remind me again, why do guns need to be so freely available ?

magnumpi Jun 5th 2014 1:32 pm

Actually, it was said on the news that "if guns were? Freely available" he be dead now, shot by a bystander/witness to the cop killings

BristolUK Jun 5th 2014 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11289222)
Still not found him. Moncton on lockdown I hear

The area sealed off is only a few minutes away from where I am but the 'action' is some way off.

Schools closed, bus service suspended, Gov offices closed, mail delivery suspended for the day, hospital only taking visitors of critically ill relatives. Even stores have closed when they stay open despite official warnings to stay home for dangerous weather. Garbage trucks haven't been out.

But my newspaper got delivered!!

magnumpi Jun 5th 2014 2:19 pm

The paper boy won't even see the news, he be wandering round with his iPod fones on

Alan2005 Jun 5th 2014 2:27 pm

Its's like the plot of Rambo. Do you think he's left any traps?

BristolUK Jun 5th 2014 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 11289367)
Its's like the plot of Rambo. Do you think he's left any traps?

He must be very good. Usually, when a convenience store is robbed the villain is tracked down within a couple of hours.
Last month someone tried to rob a bank customer trying to make a deposit. A bystander relieved them of the money they had taken and they made a getaway by car.

They were caught within an hour.

All these resources and all the attention and he's still out there.

Nuckynoo Jun 5th 2014 3:50 pm

Have the police caught the gun man yet ?

Siouxie Jun 5th 2014 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Nuckynoo (Post 11289521)
Have the police caught the gun man yet ?

Not yet, though he's been spotted 3 times this morning by members of the public.

MarylandNed Jun 5th 2014 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11289293)
Actually, it was said on the news that "if guns were? Freely available" he be dead now, shot by a bystander/witness to the cop killings

That's the argument the NRA uses in the US. It's a load of crap. If guns weren't freely available, those cops wouldn't have been shot in the first place.

rivingtonpike Jun 5th 2014 4:03 pm

Stay safe people.

magnumpi Jun 5th 2014 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 11289528)
That's the argument the NRA uses in the US. It's a load of crap. If guns weren't freely available, those cops wouldn't have been shot in the first place.

It's not my argument I was just saying.

And guns are here and so easily available, illegal licenced or whatever, nothing will stop a mentally ill loon from shooting people

We could however, stop making bullets?

SchnookoLoly Jun 5th 2014 4:12 pm

Exactly. Husband pointed out this morning that it's shockingly easy to acquire a gun in Canada, you just have to fill out all the paperwork. All the rules and laws are around carrying it, which you basically can't do. Unfortunately if you're going to be like this nutter in NB, you aren't really fussed about the carrying laws, you're just going to go on a rampage... what you're about to do makes breaking the carrying law quite little in comparison.

MarylandNed Jun 5th 2014 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11289548)
It's not my argument I was just saying.

And guns are here and so easily available, illegal licenced or whatever, nothing will stop a mentally ill loon from shooting people

We could however, stop making bullets?

Yep - I realized it wasn't your argument. Guns are already relatively easy to obtain. So if the NRA argument is correct, why haven't we already seen members of the public taking down one of these mass shooters while they are in action?

magnumpi Jun 5th 2014 4:20 pm

It's usually over faster than this one, and a lot of the shooters shoot themselves or do the shooting at a school, cinema or other no gun area.

MarylandNed Jun 5th 2014 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11289568)
It's usually over faster than this one, and a lot of the shooters shoot themselves or do the shooting at a school, cinema or other no gun area.

Exactly. So the solution is to restrict access to guns - not have everyone armed to the teeth.

magnumpi Jun 5th 2014 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 11289576)
Exactly. So the solution is to restrict access to guns - not have everyone armed to the teeth.

Yeh good idea but impossible to enforce don't u agree?

So restrict bullets instead

MarylandNed Jun 5th 2014 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11289582)
Yeh good idea but impossible to enforce don't u agree?

So restrict bullets instead

If you can restrict access to bullets, you can restrict access to guns.

magnumpi Jun 5th 2014 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 11289609)
If you can restrict access to bullets, you can restrict access to guns.

My reasoning is that bullets would eventually run out, guns are already out there.

Let's face it! Ain't nothing guna stop guns and bullets being made. We just have to get used to people shooting other people for what ever reason they deem acceptable, be it war or Lunacy !!!

Almost Canadian Jun 5th 2014 5:00 pm

The weapon he was carrying in the photo being circulated on his back, appears to be an assault rifle. Those are not permitted in Canada so I don't believe your "freely available" statement is correct.

People shooting others that are shooting is a nonsense argument in support of arming everyone; I agree with that

Almost Canadian Jun 5th 2014 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 11289553)
Exactly. Husband pointed out this morning that it's shockingly easy to acquire a gun in Canada, you just have to fill out all the paperwork. All the rules and laws are around carrying it, which you basically can't do. Unfortunately if you're going to be like this nutter in NB, you aren't really fussed about the carrying laws, you're just going to go on a rampage... what you're about to do makes breaking the carrying law quite little in comparison.

Do you really know what you are saying? Do you believe that, for example, you can easily acquire a gun where you live?

Almost Canadian Jun 5th 2014 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11289628)
My reasoning is that bullets would eventually run out, guns are already out there.

Let's face it! Ain't nothing guna stop guns and bullets being made. We just have to get used to people shooting other people for what ever reason they deem acceptable, be it war or Lunacy !!!

Are you able to point to a time in history from the time that guns were invented, when this hasn't happened? I don't believe that is a recent phenomenon.

Nuckynoo Jun 5th 2014 5:08 pm

RIP thoughts and prayers go out to the policemen's poor families

SchnookoLoly Jun 5th 2014 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 11289641)
Do you really know what you are saying? Do you believe that, for example, you can easily acquire a gun where you live?

Honestly, I don't know. I've never looked into it. My husband said in the car this morning that it was relatively easy to get one - just a matter of filling out some paperwork and waiting for some checks, and that more of the restrictions come around actually carrying that gun (not allowed to have it in public etc). From looking it up myself now, you have to take a course, then mail off an application for a gun license, and then you can go shopping. You can take a second course if you want to get a handgun, and then you get an additional bit on your license that says you can buy a restricted type of gun.

However, carrying a gun in Canada is illegal in the majority of circumstances. Basically you can only carry a gun if you have a job that requires it, and not much outside of that.

All I'm saying is that if so-and-so wants to go on a rampage, they can do the course and get their guns... they obviously aren't going to be too fussed about breaking the carrying laws at that point.

And, for the record, I am totally against guns and don't think people should be allowed to buy them. Guns are not for sport.

MarylandNed Jun 5th 2014 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 11289635)
The weapon he was carrying in the photo being circulated on his back, appears to be an assault rifle. Those are not permitted in Canada so I don't believe your "freely available" statement is correct.

Well, the fact remains that he had one and he used it to kill or injure 5 cops. So it would appear that if you want one badly enough, you can get one - banned or not. It will be interesting to find out how he got it.

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 11289635)
People shooting others that are shooting is a nonsense argument in support of arming everyone; I agree with that

Absolutely. Smaller guns are more freely available in the US (certainly those handguns used for self defense) and I don't see members of the public taking down mass shooters.

MarylandNed Jun 5th 2014 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 11289641)

It's actually not that hard. Gun ownership in Canada is actually pretty high in global terms.

Almost Canadian Jun 5th 2014 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 11289658)
Honestly, I don't know. I've never looked into it. My husband said in the car this morning that it was relatively easy to get one - just a matter of filling out some paperwork and waiting for some checks, and that more of the restrictions come around actually carrying that gun (not allowed to have it in public etc). From looking it up myself now, you have to take a course, then mail off an application for a gun license, and then you can go shopping. You can take a second course if you want to get a handgun, and then you get an additional bit on your license that says you can buy a restricted type of gun.

However, carrying a gun in Canada is illegal in the majority of circumstances. Basically you can only carry a gun if you have a job that requires it, and not much outside of that.

All I'm saying is that if so-and-so wants to go on a rampage, they can do the course and get their guns... they obviously aren't going to be too fussed about breaking the carrying laws at that point.

And, for the record, I am totally against guns and don't think people should be allowed to buy them. Guns are not for sport.

After taking the course and passing the exam, I had to wait the best part of 6 months before my PAL was sent to me.

I appreciate that I may have been able to contact some drug dealers to acquire a gun while I was waiting for my PAL, but that kind of defeats the object of paying for a PAL:p

Almost Canadian Jun 5th 2014 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 11289690)
It's actually not that hard. Gun ownership in Canada is actually pretty high in global terms.

I simply asked how easily that poster believed she could acquire a gun. I would imagine that, for most in Canada, it would be as difficult as it would be in, let's say, England.

burks Jun 5th 2014 6:00 pm

The Police currently have a building surrounded in Moncton. I am assuming that as the nutter has already shot 5 officers he won't be giving up without another shoot out.

MarylandNed Jun 5th 2014 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 11289702)
I simply asked how easily that poster believed she could acquire a gun. I would imagine that, for most in Canada, it would be as difficult as it would be in, let's say, England.

I guess that also depends on whether you go the legal or illegal route. Regardless, I've read that gun ownership is much higher in Canada than in England & Wales.

Almost Canadian Jun 5th 2014 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 11289734)
I guess that also depends on whether you go the legal or illegal route.

I suspect that they are very similar - England/Canada whether legally/illegally

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 11289734)
Regardless, I've read that gun ownership is much higher in Canada than in England & Wales.

I don't doubt that.