Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Gunman on the loose - Moncton

Gunman on the loose - Moncton

Old Jun 5th 2014, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gunman on the loose - Moncton

Originally Posted by magnumpi
My reasoning is that bullets would eventually run out, guns are already out there.

Let's face it! Ain't nothing guna stop guns and bullets being made. We just have to get used to people shooting other people for what ever reason they deem acceptable, be it war or Lunacy !!!
Are you able to point to a time in history from the time that guns were invented, when this hasn't happened? I don't believe that is a recent phenomenon.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Nuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to behold

RIP thoughts and prayers go out to the policemen's poor families
Old Jun 5th 2014, 5:15 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Do you really know what you are saying? Do you believe that, for example, you can easily acquire a gun where you live?
Honestly, I don't know. I've never looked into it. My husband said in the car this morning that it was relatively easy to get one - just a matter of filling out some paperwork and waiting for some checks, and that more of the restrictions come around actually carrying that gun (not allowed to have it in public etc). From looking it up myself now, you have to take a course, then mail off an application for a gun license, and then you can go shopping. You can take a second course if you want to get a handgun, and then you get an additional bit on your license that says you can buy a restricted type of gun.

However, carrying a gun in Canada is illegal in the majority of circumstances. Basically you can only carry a gun if you have a job that requires it, and not much outside of that.

All I'm saying is that if so-and-so wants to go on a rampage, they can do the course and get their guns... they obviously aren't going to be too fussed about breaking the carrying laws at that point.

And, for the record, I am totally against guns and don't think people should be allowed to buy them. Guns are not for sport.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

The weapon he was carrying in the photo being circulated on his back, appears to be an assault rifle. Those are not permitted in Canada so I don't believe your "freely available" statement is correct.
Well, the fact remains that he had one and he used it to kill or injure 5 cops. So it would appear that if you want one badly enough, you can get one - banned or not. It will be interesting to find out how he got it.

People shooting others that are shooting is a nonsense argument in support of arming everyone; I agree with that
Absolutely. Smaller guns are more freely available in the US (certainly those handguns used for self defense) and I don't see members of the public taking down mass shooters.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Do you really know what you are saying? Do you believe that, for example, you can easily acquire a gun where you live?
It's actually not that hard. Gun ownership in Canada is actually pretty high in global terms.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Honestly, I don't know. I've never looked into it. My husband said in the car this morning that it was relatively easy to get one - just a matter of filling out some paperwork and waiting for some checks, and that more of the restrictions come around actually carrying that gun (not allowed to have it in public etc). From looking it up myself now, you have to take a course, then mail off an application for a gun license, and then you can go shopping. You can take a second course if you want to get a handgun, and then you get an additional bit on your license that says you can buy a restricted type of gun.

However, carrying a gun in Canada is illegal in the majority of circumstances. Basically you can only carry a gun if you have a job that requires it, and not much outside of that.

All I'm saying is that if so-and-so wants to go on a rampage, they can do the course and get their guns... they obviously aren't going to be too fussed about breaking the carrying laws at that point.

And, for the record, I am totally against guns and don't think people should be allowed to buy them. Guns are not for sport.
After taking the course and passing the exam, I had to wait the best part of 6 months before my PAL was sent to me.

I appreciate that I may have been able to contact some drug dealers to acquire a gun while I was waiting for my PAL, but that kind of defeats the object of paying for a PAL
Old Jun 5th 2014, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
It's actually not that hard. Gun ownership in Canada is actually pretty high in global terms.
I simply asked how easily that poster believed she could acquire a gun. I would imagine that, for most in Canada, it would be as difficult as it would be in, let's say, England.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

The Police currently have a building surrounded in Moncton. I am assuming that as the nutter has already shot 5 officers he won't be giving up without another shoot out.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

I simply asked how easily that poster believed she could acquire a gun. I would imagine that, for most in Canada, it would be as difficult as it would be in, let's say, England.
I guess that also depends on whether you go the legal or illegal route. Regardless, I've read that gun ownership is much higher in Canada than in England & Wales.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I guess that also depends on whether you go the legal or illegal route.
I suspect that they are very similar - England/Canada whether legally/illegally

Regardless, I've read that gun ownership is much higher in Canada than in England & Wales.
I don't doubt that.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

I guess that also depends on whether you go the legal or illegal route. Regardless, I've read that gun ownership is much higher in Canada than in England & Wales.
There is a much bigger hunting scene/culture in Canada than there is in England & Wales though so I am sure that would account for a higher gun ownership.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

After taking the course and passing the exam, I had to wait the best part of 6 months before my PAL was sent to me.

I appreciate that I may have been able to contact some drug dealers to acquire a gun while I was waiting for my PAL, but that kind of defeats the object of paying for a PAL
I only had to wait 4 months for mine,and didn't do the course just challenged the exam,but I have prior military firearms training.

If the gunman really wanted a firearm he could get one illegally on the streets,its the same in any country,if you know the right shady people you can get almost anything.
The vast majority of legal firearms owners abide by the laws and would NEVER carry out an action like this.
I fail to understand why some people would rather film a cop being shot ad put it on the internet,than grab a rifle and shoot that murderous blight!

Its the same as Lee in London last year,people stood around filming his murder,what has gone so wrong with society these days,it's NOT firearms,look at the mass stabbings in Canada this year,people will use whatever they can get their hands on.

It has been proven in America that tougher gun laws does NOT lower firearm crimes,no matter how much you might wish or think that they do!

My thoughts go out to the families of those fallen officers,and I really hope this guy gets caught.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by burks
There is a much bigger hunting scene/culture in Canada than there is in England & Wales though so I am sure that would account for a higher gun ownership.
The numbers I saw were for small firearms (e.g. revolvers, pistols). In the Small Firearms Survey, Canada had about 31 guns per 100 residents. England & Wales had about 6 per 100 residents.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 6:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

So the solution is to restrict access to guns

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Yeh good idea but impossible to enforce don't u agree?
Why should it be any more difficult than,say, restricting driving to licenced drivers?
Old Jun 5th 2014, 6:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks
The Police currently have a building surrounded in Moncton. I am assuming that as the nutter has already shot 5 officers he won't be giving up without another shoot out.
That's just a few minutes from me.

But it seems he's not there and the RCMP moved on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.