A guide for British people moving to Regina, Saskatchewan

Old Mar 28th 2013, 12:11 pm
To infinity and Beyond !!

tattoo99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A guide for British people moving to Regina, Saskatchewan

Great post ..
Old Apr 1st 2013, 1:52 pm
BE addict

Princesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond repute

Great post, thank you for that, really amused me. I'm moving to Regina around beginning of June, having spent the last ten years or so visiting friends every summer. (You missed out the amazing golf courses!)
I'm glad there is a place to get English mustard, and would love to meet up for a coffee sometime to discuss English things and confuse the waitress by trying to order 'water' in our accents.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

Returninghome is an unknown quantity at this point

Great read, thank you for the post. I will admit that Regina is not one of my favorite cities, but I have also not spent a lot of time there. We went for a concert in September, and stumbled on a little restaurant where my partner had 'the best steak ever' (Flip is the name of the place).

However, I am loving our new life in Saskatchewan, and agree it is a provence that is growing.

As I am Canadian - but my partner is the xpat one...I will have to make sure he is sitting down when I tell him he can get a Milton Pork Pie over here. That's huge!
Old Apr 1st 2013, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

transmigration is an unknown quantity at this point

We do take things for granted, but what do we expect in a different country???

but none the less good effort in the post, with a bit of British moan. lol
Old Apr 9th 2013, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

strength is on a distinguished road

what is the job situation like currently over in regina
Old Aug 4th 2013, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Arthur30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the post! I hope people there are still polite and "awesome"! Why they can't be calm, helpful and kind in countries they are moving from?
Old Aug 4th 2013, 8:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arthur30
Thanks for the post! I hope people there are still polite and "awesome"! Why they can't be calm, helpful and kind in countries they are moving from?
So you think that apart from those in Canada, the world's population is never calm, helpful or kind?!
Old Aug 5th 2013, 6:06 am
Just Joined

Arthur30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
So you think that apart from those in Canada, the world's population is never calm, helpful or kind?!
Hi! I am not sure about all over the world but unfortunately in my country sometimes I feel like I am an alien when I want to help someone who stuck in snow on car or help an old lady who have big bags with products in supermarket an so on. By the way I found that forum very helpful for my future immigration and it's a pity that a lot of people from my country who lives in Canada now still have no such great well of information. There are a lot of good people in our world and in my country too but I found that in Canada it's amount bigger than we have in Ukraine.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

Purley1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I will add:

The Bulk Barn - there are two of them - one in the north end and the other - I forget where that one is -- they sell various British products - mushy peas, Bird's custard, Milk Flake and other Cadbury's chocolate bars. And though they are expensive, English Cadbury's chocolate is totally different from the Canadian version - it's a lot better!; they also sell Branston pickles.

The reason there are no snowmen is because when it's super cold, the snow won't stick together. You only see snowmen when the weather "warms up" and the snow is wet and weighs a ton and will stick together.

Healthy Food

If your local store is that Eat Healthy Foods, I would be a bit careful. I have bought Greek yogurt which, when I opened the lid, had green fur on the top! My daughter in law lives near there and her big complaint is that the staff are very unfriendly, they don't seem to care whether you are there or not. Also, and I am positive this is illegal, they will get black marker and change the "best before" date!! She goes to Dad's, which is on Victoria - towards Park Street on the south side. They are a lot nicer there and the food is better. Also the Bulk Barn sells organic things like flour and stuff like that. No perishables though.

In the summer months, the Farmers' Market on 12th Avenue, downtown Wednesday and Saturday mornings, and now they are doing it in the evening too sometimes. Great fresh locally grown vegetables, baking etc. We were there last week and I bought some organic French green lentils that were grown just west of Regina. Food trucks, Mexican and Indian and hot dogs. I think there are more than that. They are on Twitter so you know when and where they are but I forget the details. I only have Twitter on the iPad and I am too lazy to go and look. They are probably on Facebook too.

Last edited by Purley1; Aug 7th 2013 at 11:55 pm.