Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Guidance on Resumes for the Higher Education Sector in Canada

Guidance on Resumes for the Higher Education Sector in Canada

Old Oct 20th 2009, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Sumner5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Guidance on Resumes for the Higher Education Sector in Canada

Firstly, thank you for looking at my thread. I am hoping for some guidance on Academic Resumes in Canada - are they similar to Academic CVs in the UK?

I work in the Higher Education sector in the UK both as a Senior Lecturer and within the management team as a Curriculum Manager. I want to ensure that my resume does the best job of 'selling me' to potential employers within Canadian Universities.

If you have any comments or thoughts on this or would even be willing to send me your own Canadian Academic Resume to view I would be SOOO grateful.

With thanks

Rachel
Old Oct 20th 2009, 4:09 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guidance on Resumes for the Higher Education Sector in Canada

Originally Posted by Sumner5
Firstly, thank you for looking at my thread. I am hoping for some guidance on Academic Resumes in Canada - are they similar to Academic CVs in the UK?

I work in the Higher Education sector in the UK both as a Senior Lecturer and within the management team as a Curriculum Manager. I want to ensure that my resume does the best job of 'selling me' to potential employers within Canadian Universities.

If you have any comments or thoughts on this or would even be willing to send me your own Canadian Academic Resume to view I would be SOOO grateful.

With thanks

Rachel
Canadian academics call them CV's
Old Oct 20th 2009, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Alan

Well that's important to know in itself - I had obviously incorrectly assumed that as general CVs were 'translated' into resumes that this would apply to academic CVs too!

Thanks so much - by the way you don't happen to know any Canadian academics do you?

Rachel
Old Oct 20th 2009, 4:25 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Alan

Well that's important to know in itself - I had obviously incorrectly assumed that as general CVs were 'translated' into resumes that this would apply to academic CVs too!

Thanks so much - by the way you don't happen to know any Canadian academics do you?

Rachel
There are a few that post on here (I think Novo is one). I'm sure some-one who knows more than me about this will be along soon enough.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 8:21 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

With thanks

Rachel
Hi, I've just replied to your PM.

Cheers.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

bzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to all

With thanks

Rachel
Hi

Firstly, get your Resume in order
Secondly, I'd also check if you need to be certified to teach for example in Alberta there is a the Alberta Teachers Association other provinces have something similar. It costs and transcripts are required check provincial sites
Thirdlyly, get your qualifications checked through with IQAS (see cic website).
Old Oct 21st 2009, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by bzriddell
Hi

Firstly, get your Resume in order
Secondly, I'd also check if you need to be certified to teach for example in Alberta there is a the Alberta Teachers Association other provinces have something similar. It costs and transcripts are required check provincial sites
Thirdlyly, get your qualifications checked through with IQAS (see cic website).
Unis are different from schools.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

bzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Alan2005

U.K qualifications are still an issue in Canada.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 2:06 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Don't worry. It's already sorted. Sort of.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 4:22 am

That's wrong. For academic jobs you don't need to convert things. How would you convert your PhD? Anyway - Novo's sorted it. Sort of.

(the advice at http://chronicle.com is quite useful for north america in general apparently. As is http://www.universityaffairs.ca which is Canada specific.)
Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for all the help so far and particularly the useful website links...keep em coming!

Best wishes to all.

Rachel