Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

To guess or not to guess

Wikiposts

To guess or not to guess

Old Feb 21st 2011, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

big ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nice
Default To guess or not to guess

Hi All
We will be landing in may to activate our visas while we are on a two week holiday.I know we will have to declare our goods accompanying but our goods to follow list will not be known until the removal men have packed it which will be sometime later.Do I just guess? as I aint a clue how many boxes I will need for the such as clothes,kitchen utensils.odds n sods etc.Larger items beds, sofas furniture will not be a problem,any ideas please.Thank You.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 12:12 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To guess or not to guess

Guess , and over estimate.

Noone will ever come after you for importing less than you said you were going to.

I really think that they are only interested in commercial stuff IE tools if you are a builder etc. That and jewelry ( they recommend you get photos and appraisals for really expensive stuff)

No one is going to mind if you import 35 boxes of kitchen crud as opposed to 32
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 12:56 am
Adapting slowly...

Funky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
.... kitchen crud ...
Haven't heard the word "crud" in ages. That made me laugh!
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:26 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

There is some experiences on here lately that talk about if you are not taking up residence straight away then customs officers wont allow you to submit a goods to follow list.

Just something to keep in mind, def prep your GTF list but maybe you could ask if you could get it stamped when you come back to take up residence.

JB
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:32 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JB0591
There is some experiences on here lately that talk about if you are not taking up residence straight away then customs officers wont allow you to submit a goods to follow list.

Just something to keep in mind, def prep your GTF list but maybe you could ask if you could get it stamped when you come back to take up residence.

JB
Really? I have always heard that its "now or never" as far as GTF list goes. If you dont do it when you land then you miss the boat, so to speak.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:39 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by iaink
Really? I have always heard that its "now or never" as far as GTF list goes. If you dont do it when you land then you miss the boat, so to speak.
Have a look at this thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=GTF

There is a quote within the thread taken CBSA tariff guidelines that attempts to clarify what is meant by taking up residence.

Cheers

JB
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:45 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Has someone amended the Wiki on GTF since that thread?

I would still offer the list on landing though, if only to cover my arse...
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 7:47 am
Just Joined

guardianx is just really niceguardianx is just really niceguardianx is just really niceguardianx is just really niceguardianx is just really niceguardianx is just really niceguardianx is just really niceguardianx is just really nice

Landing in Vancouver last march we were not allowed to give in our good to follow until we later arrived permanently... but then we had to explain to a different customs person why we hadn't done it the first time... all worked out ok and got the stamp...
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute

we never did ours. the customs man didnt want to see it.
and we only produced one when we went to clear the goods at customs a month or so later