Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Greetings from a Canadian of British heritage in the Niagara Region!

Greetings from a Canadian of British heritage in the Niagara Region!

Old May 27th 2011, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greetings from a Canadian of British heritage in the Niagara Region!

Originally Posted by Oink
It makes you wonder of all the tens of thousands of people who emigrated to Canada not many cheese makers among that lot.
Thousands of Scots went over but they prefer there cheese deep fried, like there Mars bars!!!
Old May 27th 2011, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Silken will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Greetings from a Canadian of British heritage in the Niagara Region!

It makes you wonder of all the tens of thousands of people who emigrated to Canada not many cheese makers among that lot.
Lol I must confess I didn't get that. I'm afraid British humour sometimes does escape me. I'm presently looking up a few pics to post so you all can see who I'm telling you about.
Old May 27th 2011, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GC44
Thousands of Scots went over but they prefer there cheese deep fried, like there Mars bars!!!
I see it says you are going to Manitoba? Do you have family there? Make sure you get goooooooooood winter clothing. lol
Old May 27th 2011, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silken
I see it says you are going to Manitoba? Do you have family there? Make sure you get goooooooooood winter clothing. lol
Hopefully going to Manitoba. No, we don't have family there but both me and my wife have job offers so we are on the LMO emotional rollercoaster.

(LMO is one of the options for emigration to Canada).
Old May 27th 2011, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Hopefully going to Manitoba. No, we don't have family there but both me and my wife have job offers so we are on the LMO emotional rollercoaster.

(LMO is one of the options for emigration to Canada).
Well I will tell you this. It's a prairie province so it's basically flat and damn cold! lol So I'd be taking some time now to knit up some cozy icelandic sweaters for the winters ahead. Make sure you get some good warm boots, preferably with a very good lining. You want WARM clothing for winters there. Because Winnipeg is notorious here for its bone-chilling winters.

Old May 27th 2011, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, we got most of the Scots and the U.S. got most of the Irish. I'm always telling the Americans that too! lol

I have a friend in Washington state and one in Nova Scotia and he has begun to call my Nova Scotia friend "Roger, the Nova Scot" to poke fun at things Canadian. But that's ok because we like to put a bee under his bonnet by calling him "a closet Canadian" (and he really is but would die before admitting it.)
Old May 27th 2011, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Silken
Well I will tell you this. It's a prairie province so it's basically flat and damn cold! lol So I'd be taking some time now to knit up some cozy icelandic sweaters for the winters ahead. Make sure you get some good warm boots, preferably with a very good lining. You want WARM clothing for winters there. Because Winnipeg is notorious here for its bone-chilling winters.

We were out there last August for a couple of weeks, definately flat where we hope to be. Talking to the locals, they say winter ain't such a big issue as long as you are prepared. However I'm sure that the first one will still come as a bit of a shock. All part of the adventure.
Old May 27th 2011, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, so I said I'd throw up a few pics to illustrate what I've been saying...

Here's my great-grandparents, James Hodgson Sr. and his wife Ann (Sumbler) Hodgson and their two oldest sons, both born in England. They boarded the ship Empress of Ireland in 1912 when Ann was pregnant with their youngest son, my grandfather, James Arthur Hodgson Jr. They came to first work on a farm as servants here in Ontario and then later purchased their own land where they had a house for themselves and one close by for Ann's parents and they ran a family farm.

Now this is Ann's parents, James Sumbler and Mary (Ventress) Sumbler. Mary was blind and the mother of seven by the way. I think it must have taken a lot of courage to leave everything you knew behind and make the voyage at that age! This pic was taken while still living in England so they were obviously not young when coming here. Some of their children stayed behind (so I must still have quite a few relatives in England) and some began to follow over and dispersed throughout the country, mostly in Ontario though but some to other provinces as well.

Old May 27th 2011, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

We were out there last August for a couple of weeks, definately flat where we hope to be. Talking to the locals, they say winter ain't such a big issue as long as you are prepared. However I'm sure that the first one will still come as a bit of a shock. All part of the adventure.
Well that's the thing, if you prepare properly, you will do fine. Even in the arctic regions of the country, the Inuit get by fine in the cold but they use sealskin which keeps them remarkably warm and dry. So if you choose the right kind of outerwear you'll be fine. But ya, do expect some climactic culture shock when the first winter hits. You're at least lucky that the Canadian winters are not nearly as bad as they used to be. We have much easier winters than we used to I'd say.
Old May 27th 2011, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Had to share this one of the boys hanging out here in Ontario with their old Ford!

Old May 27th 2011, 9:28 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum. You might have to develop a thick skin and to try and not succumb to knee-jerk defensiveness as there are some on here who like nothing better than to critique all aspects of their adopted homeland any chance they get.
Oink would be one of those, god bless him.
Old May 27th 2011, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Here's "Uncle Jack" Sumbler who was a bobby in England I guess (looking at the pic) and in the second shot with his wife and daughters. They went further north in Ontario, started up a business and I believe he was mayor of a mining town here. His wife's name was Annie (Armitage) Sumbler by the way.

I have a stack of these old memoriam cards that were lovingly kept in that big old wooden suitcase from the voyage with their family photos, letters and postcards. It appears that families back then would send these out whenever someone died. This is the oldest one I have... 1866.

Old May 27th 2011, 9:38 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram

Ah that's so sweet of you to think that.
Old May 27th 2011, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tangram
Well this forum doesn't seem to be bad at all when you check out the U.S. forum. lol OMG, snide remarks galore, people just being arrogant and nasty there on both sides. I sat and read one thread that was 30 pages long just to follow the arguments to the BITTER end. lol

Here's what I found funny though. At least in this forum I've seen some good, positive remarks about things, not everything is negative by far. But I could hardly find any positive remarks in that one. It was really odd!
Old May 27th 2011, 10:22 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Its the 97th annual memorial for the Empress of Ireland this weekend:

http://www.salvationarmy.ca/2011/01/...l-may-29-2011/

Mount Pleasant cemetery in Toronto.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.