Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Green card holder wants to relocate to Canada

Green card holder wants to relocate to Canada

Old May 31st 2012, 7:09 am
Just Joined

chrisandsu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Green card holder wants to relocate to Canada

HI everyone , been living here in Seattle for 5 years now and have just about had enough . Visited a friend of mine in Canada and really enjoyed it ! my wife is an American citizen and i am British what would be the best way to relocate to Canada from the US? What steps should i take? any advice would be greatly appreciated .
Old May 31st 2012, 8:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green card holder wants to relocate to Canada

Originally Posted by chrisandsu
HI everyone , been living here in Seattle for 5 years now and have just about had enough . Visited a friend of mine in Canada and really enjoyed it ! my wife is an American citizen and i am British what would be the best way to relocate to Canada from the US? What steps should i take? any advice would be greatly appreciated .
Hi, and welcome.

Have a look at the Wiki and figure out your visa route, then you can come back and ask questions about it - this page is a good place to start.........http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration

Good luck.
Old May 31st 2012, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Would recommend you get your citizenship for the US. Might make things easier as y may be able to use the nafta visa, definitely read the wiki to see what visa you need
Old May 31st 2012, 4:46 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Look on the CIC immigration website. Being British is no advantage, being American has the slight advantage of qualifying under NAFTA, if you have the right qualifications and work in the right field. Unlike the US, Canada will also give work authorization to your spouse if you enter under NAFTA.

But if you don't qualify under the NAFTA job list, there is no real difference immigrating from the US than anywhere else, like I said, check on the CIC website.

Either way, NAFTA or skilled worker, you're going to need a bachelor's degree usually (or equivalent) and have experience. And a job offer usually, unless you're in one of the "in demand" fields. (Difficult to generalize, the CIC has various tools on their website).

Also the cost of living is much higher in Vancouver than Seattle. Property prices are way, way higher and taxes are significantly higher. Blows my mind when I compare on MLS, you can literally compare properties that are less than a mile away from each other, i.e. White Rock vs. Blaine and they can be more than twice as much on the Canadian side.

Last edited by Steve_; May 31st 2012 at 4:48 pm.
Old May 31st 2012, 4:47 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
nafta visa
No visa is required, it's an entry category.
Old May 31st 2012, 4:55 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Canada Asking price $609,000

USA Asking price $325,000

And the US house was built in 2007, the Canadian one 1989.

Hard to compare exactly I realize, but you get the gist.
Old May 31st 2012, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

As suggested look at the NAFTA requirements and see if either you or your wife qualify. Moving up here through NAFTA used to apply to Greencard holders too but I don't know if it still does as it is not something I check on.

Strongly recommend that you get your US Citizenship though, as if you don't like Canada as much as you thought you would it will be easier to move back.
Old May 31st 2012, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

^Not to forget all of the added benefits of patriot act tax reporting
Old May 31st 2012, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

What NAFTA does
NAFTA facilitates temporary entry for business persons who are citizens of the U.S., Mexico and Canada and who are involved in the trade of goods or services, or in investment activities.
NAFTA removes the need for an LMO for all business persons covered by the Agreement
 In the case of a business visitor, it removes the need for a work permit.
 For professionals and intra-company transferees, it expedites the application process because one can apply at the POE, (Note that nationals who require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada, however, should apply at a visa office prior to coming to Canada)

NOTE; It says citizens not PR card holders.
Old May 31st 2012, 11:16 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Ramsey
^Not to forget all of the added benefits of patriot act tax reporting
The Patriot Act has nothing to do with it, US citizens (and LPRs) have always had to file returns when they live abroad since the 1920s. FATCA requires more reporting of foreign accounts but it's a minor point if you were originally an immigrant to the US as you probably already have foreign accounts you have to report anyway.
Old May 31st 2012, 11:18 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

This is the list of NAFTA occupations and qualifications.
Old May 31st 2012, 11:21 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by gad33
Moving up here through NAFTA used to apply to Greencard holders too
It was scrapped in 2003.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 6:03 am
Just Joined

chrisandsu is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you everyone for the great advise i will spend the weekend checking it out! i did notice that the prices for everything up north is around 30% more then down here , concerning housing it really depends on where you live there is such an abundance of livable land down here where as only a small part of Canada can be occupied (for the size of the place) im really after a quite life a place away from guns where my family can be safe
Old Jun 1st 2012, 7:59 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

thank you everyone for the great advise i will spend the weekend checking it out! i did notice that the prices for everything up north is around 30% more then down here , concerning housing it really depends on where you live there is such an abundance of livable land down here where as only a small part of Canada can be occupied (for the size of the place) im really after a quite life a place away from guns where my family can be safe
You most likely have far less to be concerned about with guns in a rural setting than urban. Most stranger or gang shootings occur in a very tiny urban area. If you are looking for a quiet (rural?) place to live, gun violence shouldn't be much of a concern. Not to say your neighbors won't have a shotgun or two. They will be for 4 legged varmints, not two, Especially in the pacific northwest.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with those who have advised you to obtain US citizenship first. Yes, it allows you to return to the US easily if things don't work out and it also opens up doors in terms of a job through NAFTA. However, it might also give you an edge when applying for a job with a Canadian company that does business in the US - as you are able to travel back and forth between Canada/US and conduct business activities much more easily. It also makes general travel (e.g. shopping,trips, vacations, etc) between the 2 countries much easier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.