Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Gran dying PR Card arrived due to backlog!

Gran dying PR Card arrived due to backlog!

Old Sep 14th 2011, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

englishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Gran dying PR Card not arrived due to backlog!

I am so upset with CIC with regards to this PR card processing farce that they have going on. I fully appreciate they get lots of applications for PR cards, and it does not help that the process is not exactly straightforward. I sent them letter explaining that my PR card is urgently needed due to my gran being given a short time line to live. Whilst I know I can leave under my british passport, I fear not being let back in, and plus will the carriers carry me given that I am booking a return flight from Canada. I know they ask for a flight booking but I explained I didnt want to book a flight for Labour Day weekend in case it did not come, given a timeline is not given. I now have the timeline as rep from the PR processing centre called me to advise that she should not even be looking at my case as urgent. This was today. This evening I got the dreaded call to say it is a matter of hours now. So as it stand with a 6-10 business day processing time should anything happen I will miss the funeral as well. ( Due to heat they are buried within 48 hours if possible) Given that my gran lives in the caribbean that means that I have to go to the states to get a cheap flight or pay $1200 from toronto. Whilst in most cases people are fine to wait, given it is such a vital document to get in and out of the country we should get this much quicker.

Sorry to rant but I am so fed up right now.

Last edited by englishrose1; Sep 14th 2011 at 2:45 am. Reason: Word missed out.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 2:53 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gran dying PR Card arrived due to backlog!

So sorry that this has happened, you have my sympathies. However I was under the impression that you didn't physically need your pr card (although it would make it easier I presume? )
Old Sep 14th 2011, 5:02 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

This may help http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...how.asp#urgent
Old Sep 14th 2011, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

You don't need to wait for your PR card, you can travel with your COPR form (your proof of landed immigration status). You can leave the country on your British passport without issue, coming back you need to show your COPR and they'll let you straight through.

This isn't an unusual situation, so they have this process to handle it.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
You don't need to wait for your PR card, you can travel with your COPR form (your proof of landed immigration status). You can leave the country on your British passport without issue, coming back you need to show your COPR and they'll let you straight through.

This isn't an unusual situation, so they have this process to handle it.
They will give you a hard time for travelling on copr, it does say not for travel on it, but they will let you back. When you approach the desk, tell them the circumstances of your having to leave without it and I am sure they will be a bit friendlier
Old Sep 14th 2011, 10:50 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gran dying PR Card not arrived due to backlog!

Originally Posted by englishrose1
I am so upset with CIC with regards to this PR card processing farce that they have going on. I fully appreciate they get lots of applications for PR cards, and it does not help that the process is not exactly straightforward. I sent them letter explaining that my PR card is urgently needed due to my gran being given a short time line to live. Whilst I know I can leave under my british passport, I fear not being let back in, and plus will the carriers carry me given that I am booking a return flight from Canada. I know they ask for a flight booking but I explained I didnt want to book a flight for Labour Day weekend in case it did not come, given a timeline is not given. I now have the timeline as rep from the PR processing centre called me to advise that she should not even be looking at my case as urgent. This was today. This evening I got the dreaded call to say it is a matter of hours now. So as it stand with a 6-10 business day processing time should anything happen I will miss the funeral as well. ( Due to heat they are buried within 48 hours if possible) Given that my gran lives in the caribbean that means that I have to go to the states to get a cheap flight or pay $1200 from toronto. Whilst in most cases people are fine to wait, given it is such a vital document to get in and out of the country we should get this much quicker.

Sorry to rant but I am so fed up right now.
If you are a British Citizen you don't need the PR card to get back in - just show your COPR and you will be fine.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

englishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everyone.

Saw the immigration minister today, official line given recent threats in US borders services are on full alert still and will be for some time to come.

My gran has died and I am going to the funeral, if I cant get back in then it is Canada's loss and I will pay anything I owe from the UK. I am working and contributing, what more do they want.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 12:45 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishrose1
Thanks everyone.

Saw the immigration minister today, official line given recent threats in US borders services are on full alert still and will be for some time to come.

My gran has died and I am going to the funeral, if I cant get back in then it is Canada's loss and I will pay anything I owe from the UK. I am working and contributing, what more do they want.
Sorry to hear bout your Gran - hope the journey is ok xxx
Old Sep 15th 2011, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

I am very sorry to hear about your Gran, and also that you have had all these worries.
Hugs
x
Old Sep 16th 2011, 1:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Sympathies.

This question is asked at least weekly and the answer is always the same, as explained in the article:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Perman...nt_Card-Canada

A visa-free passport is sufficient to return to Canada. Some airlines (not Air Canada) might have a problem but there is no legal basis for this.

On admission, you can use your COPR or other evidence of permanent residence (or they can look you up in the system).

By the way, flying from the USA might not be a good idea ... unless you have a Canadian passport or have a US tourist visa, you may have a problem to fly back into the USA on the visa waiver program if you do not have an onward ticket terminating in Canada. Ask for more detail on a USA forum.