Reload this Page >

Graduate Quantity Surveyor Jobs

Graduate Quantity Surveyor Jobs

Old Apr 19th 2011, 11:42 am
Just Joined

AdamSalford1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Graduate Quantity Surveyor Jobs

Greetings all,

I'm interested in working in Canada with a view to permanently migrating there. I have recently graduated as a Quantitiy Surveyor and have been working at a company in England for 6+months as well as having 12 months industrial placement experience.

One thing is though I don't know where to start.

I took a test online to see if I could attain a skilled worker visa which came back positive with a view to attaining a job.....so basically where do I get one? Haha!

Otherwise, is there any other possibe routes into the country, ie. getting a temp. Visa and then trying to find a permanent job.

Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 12:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Graduate Quantity Surveyor Jobs

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Firstly, forget the Skilled Worker route - yes, you'd be eligible with a job offer, but first you need to find a job, then the employer has to apply for the AEO (take approx 6 months), then you need to wait until you get PR (another year or eighteen months). Realistically, no employer is going to wait 2 years or so for you to start work.

You could try and get a job offer and go over on a Temporary Work Permit (much quicker), but again I don't think this is realistic. To be brutally honest, in the current economic climate, no employer is going to go through the paperwork and hassle of hiring a new graduate with little or no experience. Plus to get a TWP you'd need a Labour Market Opinion, which is something your employer has to apply for, and for this they have to prove that they have been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job. As you can imagine, it's unlikely you'll be more qualified than any suitable Canadian without lots of experience.

I would imagine that your best best is to go over on a Working Holiday Visa, which gives you a year opens work permit and means you can work for anybody without them having to do anything special to hire you. Assuming you are a UK citizen and aged 30 or under, this would be your easiest route by far.

Info on all of the above is in the Wiki (blue bar at top of page) so have a read of that and then you can come back and ask questions once you've understood the basics. I'd also suggest you do a quick search of the forum to find threads about quantity surveyors, as you may need to sit equivalency exams or similar to be able to work in Canada.

Good luck.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

I have to disagree with the above, I am studying QS and know a lot of them here in Toronto and 95% of them are Brits and IRish lads and lasses here on work permits.

Quantity Surveying is a new trend here in Canada, only been around for 50 years and there are only 3000 in Canada. A lot of companies hire from abroad and with construction the way it is there is a great need for them.

Infrastructure is where a lot of the economic plan begins meaning lots of jobs in the construction and real estate sector in peticular QS as they are the start of the chain with cost.

OP can PM me and i can tell him a few companies that hire a lot of TWP especially from the UK.

As for sitting exams you will likely have to sit the CIQS exams, however if you are RICS already then you automically get CIQS (Canadian equivalent of RICS) but my freind was working towards these as she worked as you need to provide diary, the method of measurement is very similiar as based on UK way. in UK you have elements, here you have divisions and according to my UK QS freind its much easier here. you can do some brush up courses but really dont think its necessary.

A good place to start is the Canadian Institute of Quantity Surveyors, you can find them at www.ciqs.org they are affiliated with RICS.

Last edited by britishvixen21; Apr 19th 2011 at 2:30 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Firstly, forget the Skilled Worker route - yes, you'd be eligible with a job offer, but first you need to find a job, then the employer has to apply for the AEO (take approx 6 months), then you need to wait until you get PR (another year or eighteen months). Realistically, no employer is going to wait 2 years or so for you to start work.

You could try and get a job offer and go over on a Temporary Work Permit (much quicker), but again I don't think this is realistic. To be brutally honest, in the current economic climate, no employer is going to go through the paperwork and hassle of hiring a new graduate with little or no experience. Plus to get a TWP you'd need a Labour Market Opinion, which is something your employer has to apply for, and for this they have to prove that they have been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job. As you can imagine, it's unlikely you'll be more qualified than any suitable Canadian without lots of experience.

I would imagine that your best best is to go over on a Working Holiday Visa, which gives you a year opens work permit and means you can work for anybody without them having to do anything special to hire you. Assuming you are a UK citizen and aged 30 or under, this would be your easiest route by far.

Info on all of the above is in the Wiki (blue bar at top of page) so have a read of that and then you can come back and ask questions once you've understood the basics. I'd also suggest you do a quick search of the forum to find threads about quantity surveyors, as you may need to sit equivalency exams or similar to be able to work in Canada.

Good luck.
Hey thanks for this advice, it is definitely a route I will consider and thanks for the info
Old Apr 19th 2011, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
I have to disagree with the above, I am studying QS and know a lot of them here in Toronto and 95% of them are Brits and IRish lads and lasses here on work permits.

Quantity Surveying is a new trend here in Canada, only been around for 50 years and there are only 3000 in Canada. A lot of companies hire from abroad and with construction the way it is there is a great need for them.

Infrastructure is where a lot of the economic plan begins meaning lots of jobs in the construction and real estate sector in peticular QS as they are the start of the chain with cost.

OP can PM me and i can tell him a few companies that hire a lot of TWP especially from the UK.

As for sitting exams you will likely have to sit the CIQS exams, however if you are RICS already then you automically get CIQS (Canadian equivalent of RICS) but my freind was working towards these as she worked as you need to provide diary, the method of measurement is very similiar as based on UK way. in UK you have elements, here you have divisions and according to my UK QS freind its much easier here. you can do some brush up courses but really dont think its necessary.

A good place to start is the Canadian Institute of Quantity Surveyors, you can find them at www.ciqs.org they are affiliated with RICS.
Hey, I tried PMing you but apparently I can't because I'm a newbie. If you could provide some links to companies in the UK that would be great. In terms of RICS, I only have 18 months industry experience and work at a Main Contractor so becoming Chartered is something I haven't looked into yet, would that be a problem.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 3:23 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Might be able to now post #3 has come off the mod list...
Old Apr 28th 2011, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Scottish84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Everyone,

I am new to expats.com - similar to Adam I am an expat who is a Quantity Surveyor, i am currently working in Bermuda however my employer is having difficulty renewing my work permit. I have been considering Canada for a few months and would appreciate any advice / help / contacts on how to work in Canada.

I qualified over 2 years ago, however my course was completed on a part-time basis so have been employed as a Quantity Surveyor for the last 6 years; running and managing contracts and costs.

any and all help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Old Apr 28th 2011, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Aatjjj is an unknown quantity at this point

My hubby works in construction project management and id be intrested in knowing companies that hire on a twp .