Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Government benefits for children with autism

Wikiposts

Government benefits for children with autism

Old Feb 27th 2013, 6:34 am
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Government benefits for children with autism

Originally Posted by cominghome
My child has a diagnosis of autism. Can anyone say if the government helps with payments like DLA or carer's allowance (Canada) like they do in the UK? I am a full -time carer for him and up to now couldn't work, though he is getting older now, so I hope to get the time to start our own business.

If anyone has any relevant info, it would be much appreciated.

thanks
let me get this straight - you're looking for government handouts on one thread - on another you're hoping to avoid paying back a student loan
Old Feb 27th 2013, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
let me get this straight - you're looking for government handouts on one thread - on another you're hoping to avoid paying back a student loan
and escape the nanny state
Old Feb 27th 2013, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
Most decent
Old Feb 28th 2013, 2:09 am
Just Joined

goldstars is a jewel in the roughgoldstars is a jewel in the roughgoldstars is a jewel in the roughgoldstars is a jewel in the roughgoldstars is a jewel in the rough

http://www.scsottawa.on.ca/wp-conten...ding-chart.pdf

this is a link to services available to individuals with disabilities in Ontario.
I initially had a very difficult time getting information on ways to help my child that has a disability. i have discovered that alot of health care professionals are either unwilling to give information or just unaware of what is available. it was during a meeting with a disablity worker on another matter that she mention special services at home and some other sources of funding that could be accessed. She also said that a lot of newcomers dont know that these services are available. Most of them you have to apply by yourself... dont mind the heading as a disability is a disablility regardless. In Canada you have to do a lot of research on your own and be your own advocate.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 2:23 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldstars
http://www.scsottawa.on.ca/wp-conten...ding-chart.pdf

this is a link to services available to individuals with disabilities in Ontario.
I initially had a very difficult time getting information on ways to help my child that has a disability. i have discovered that alot of health care professionals are either unwilling to give information or just unaware of what is available. it was during a meeting with a disablity worker on another matter that she mention special services at home and some other sources of funding that could be accessed. She also said that a lot of newcomers dont know that these services are available. Most of them you have to apply by yourself... dont mind the heading as a disability is a disablility regardless. In Canada you have to do a lot of research on your own and be your own advocate.
I found that support also varies per region in Ontario. The people who know the most are those in the various support groups, so I wouls suggest contacting these
http://autismcanada.org/index.html?g...FQRnOgoddiYAbw
And http://www.autismsociety.pe.ca/
And http://www.autismnb.org/
http://www.sjfn.nb.ca/community_hall/A/auti3200.html
Old Feb 28th 2013, 2:34 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I found that support also varies per region in Ontario.
A footnote to that is that, if you move between "regions", sometimes ajoining counties, you lose your funding and whatever seniority you might have. It's important to choose a place from which you'll never want to move.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

sarahloo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dbd33
A footnote to that is that, if you move between "regions", sometimes ajoining counties, you lose your funding and whatever seniority you might have. It's important to choose a place from which you'll never want to move.
This has now changed in Ontario as the ministry has an organization called the DSOER(Developmental Services Ontario Eastern Region) means that families will be assessed the same through Ontario and you can move and take your funds with you .
In the past families where assessed so differently depending on the assessor and if you moved areas then you would have to reapply for funding which meant that some families were let with no funds .
However as things stand at the moment parents who are just starting to look for funding are finding there are no funds available and have to go on the waiting list .
Old Feb 28th 2013, 3:00 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahloo
This has now changed in Ontario as the ministry has an organization called the DSOER(Developmental Services Ontario Eastern Region) means that families will be assessed the same through Ontario and you can move and take your funds with you .
In the past families where assessed so differently depending on the assessor and if you moved areas then you would have to reapply for funding which meant that some families were let with no funds .
However as things stand at the moment parents who are just starting to look for funding are finding there are no funds available and have to go on the waiting list .
Fair enough. My autistic child has been packed off to Europe so my information is somewhat dated.

Mind, the organization has Eastern Region in the name. What if you move from Eastern to Central or Northern?