Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Got Pr for all family- not sure Toronto/Calgary

Wikiposts

Got Pr for all family- not sure Toronto/Calgary

Old Jan 12th 2008, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Sewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant future
Default Got Pr for all family- not sure Toronto/Calgary

hello Everyone,
I have been reading this forum site for a few days, and it has help lots thanks. My husband and I lived in us briefly (6 months) , then moved around uk with his job, been to canada twice- skiing and walking- loved it.
We truly didn't know if we would get the PR- took 3 1/2 years, now we have got 9 mths left for visa to run out- sold our house( so quick it took my breath away) now david has gone to Toronto for a 2nd interview this weekend/Monday( corporate banking) to get a job based in Calgary- i have been there, but he also has a strong chance of moving within his company ( easier for us and lots safer and cheaper) but that would be based in Toronto-
Question- cos we like skiing, walking, countryside, dog walking, and two junior high school age children- what do people think to Toronto- we have roughly 1m cad to spend on property, I like small friendly neighbor hoods-but realise david has to work in the big city for where his job takes him
Thanks
Susan
Old Jan 12th 2008, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got Pr for all family- not sure Toronto/Calgary

Hi, just wanted to say welcome and best wishes. Good luck with your emigration
Old Jan 12th 2008, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Sewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant future

Thank you for your welcome, much appreciated
Old Jan 13th 2008, 1:34 am
Account Closed

highlandspirit8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sewing Susan
hello Everyone,
I have been reading this forum site for a few days, and it has help lots thanks. My husband and I lived in us briefly (6 months) , then moved around uk with his job, been to canada twice- skiing and walking- loved it.
We truly didn't know if we would get the PR- took 3 1/2 years, now we have got 9 mths left for visa to run out- sold our house( so quick it took my breath away) now david has gone to Toronto for a 2nd interview this weekend/Monday( corporate banking) to get a job based in Calgary- i have been there, but he also has a strong chance of moving within his company ( easier for us and lots safer and cheaper) but that would be based in Toronto-
Question- cos we like skiing, walking, countryside, dog walking, and two junior high school age children- what do people think to Toronto-
Hi Susan,
I used to live in Toronto albeit 20 years ago but I have been back a few times since. Property is cheaper than it would be in Cities in UK, There are also lots of suburbs that can be reached from the city centre by subway which is fast, regular and cheap. There is also a GO train network which will take you a little further afield but still within the Toronto area.
I have never been to Alberta, but the flat prairies and the industrialised areas did not appeal when we looked at going to live there. The mountains are 50Km from Calgary and if you travelled that far in Ontario you would find skiing places and certainly loads of places for nice walks if there were none already on your doorstep.
Ontario is also much like UK with rolling hills, lakes etc... and the weather is good. Sunny and warm in summer, and not too snowy in winter due to the lake. Lots to do and see for kids and adults alike. (Canada's Wonderland, Exhibition Centre, Centre Island, Loads of Museums, restaurants, theatre's, Nightlife etc..)

we have roughly 1m cad to spend on property,
You wont find many problems getting a nice house in a nice area with the amount you have.
I like small friendly neighbor hoods-but realise david has to work in the big city for where his job takes him
There are loads of really nice areas in and around Toronto that I'm sure will suit you to a T.
Try "google earth" to see the area more clearly (its free to download if you don't have it already) and if you want to know anything about a particular suburb give me a shout as I lived in a few whilst I was there.
Finally congratulations on getting PR. We hope to move to Nova Scotia sometime this year on a Provincial Sponsorship scheme, but my husband is trying to get a transfer with his company too if possible.

Thanks
Susan
Good Luck
Linda
Old Jan 13th 2008, 1:46 am
JLT
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sutton Coldfield UK until I return to Toronto 2009 or earlier!!
JLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant future

hello Everyone,
Question- cos we like skiing, walking, countryside, dog walking, and two junior high school age children- what do people think to Toronto- we have roughly 1m cad to spend on property, I like small friendly neighbor hoods-but realise david has to work in the big city for where his job takes him
Thanks
Susan
Hi there

Sounds to me The Beach area in Toronto would be perfect and especially with the budget you have you should be able to get a nice detached property.

I myself are back in the UK at the moment with my youngest daughter and live in an area in the GTA suburbs similar to the beach feel bout without the beach called Unionville/Markham but we have decided to move to downtown The Beach when we get back to Canada after being in Canada twelve years with our 3 children. We ourselves luv to do the activities you have talked about especially with our dog. Schooling is very good, lots of cute cafe's and pubs but be warned it is extremely busy in the summer months with tourists for parking but on your budget you would be able to get your own drive. Check out on the internet www.mls.ca property site and the area code is E2 in the option for area's great community feel..

ToSki etc is still easy access and we tended to go after work at night great fun. It would also be great for hubby to get to downtown I am presuming Bay street area?
If I maybe of further help let me know as I know how confusing it can be. Make yourself a wish list it helped us.
Good luck
Cheers
Old Jan 13th 2008, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by highlandspirit8
Good Luck
Linda
Thank vey much Linda, your info is very helpful, and I will email more about Toronoto if that is the most viable option.
Regards
Susan
Old Jan 13th 2008, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeanette taheri
Hi there

Sounds to me The Beach area in Toronto would be perfect and especially with the budget you have you should be able to get a nice detached property.

I myself are back in the UK at the moment with my youngest daughter and live in an area in the GTA suburbs similar to the beach feel bout without the beach called Unionville/Markham but we have decided to move to downtown The Beach when we get back to Canada after being in Canada twelve years with our 3 children. We ourselves luv to do the activities you have talked about especially with our dog. Schooling is very good, lots of cute cafe's and pubs but be warned it is extremely busy in the summer months with tourists for parking but on your budget you would be able to get your own drive. Check out on the internet www.mls.ca property site and the area code is E2 in the option for area's great community feel..

ToSki etc is still easy access and we tended to go after work at night great fun. It would also be great for hubby to get to downtown I am presuming Bay street area?
If I maybe of further help let me know as I know how confusing it can be. Make yourself a wish list it helped us.
Good luck
Cheers
Wow beach area, this al sounds totally wonderful- good luck too
Susan
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:56 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow beach area, this al sounds totally wonderful- good luck too
Susan
I lived in the Beach until a year or so ago and my daughter still does. It's dog central, everyone has a dog. Lots of activities, Olympic sized swimming pool, sailing club, canoe club, beach volleyball, easy commute, lots of restaurants and pubs. The snob bit is south of Queen but I don't think a million will get you there, still it's not far to walk to the beach from anywhere south of Kingston Road. Don't look at anything east of Vic Park as that's technically Scarborough and so a problem in terms of school districts. Be sure to get your own driveway with parking for two cars; otherwise no one will come to visit you. Bear in mind that "charming" in real estate speak means "drafty" and be sure to have the basement checked for water, flooding and termites are big problems locally.