Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

got job interiew and now getting cold feet

got job interiew and now getting cold feet

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

David P will become famous soon enough
Default got job interiew and now getting cold feet

Just wondered if anyone else has had the same emotions as we are having at the moment.

We applied for PR over a year ago and been hunting for jobs ever since. Suddenly get an interview in Kelowna and the enormity of what we're doing hits home.

Are we really ready to give up our comfortable life here for the uncertainty of moving to Canada?

What if we move and job falls through after a few months and we have to lcome back? We could never afford to come back to our town and the consant upheaval would affect the children and their education really bad.

How are we going to cope financially during the change? I'll be working in Canada and the rest of the family will still be here sorting out the move for a few months. That's two households to run and all the problems of being apart for quite a while.
What if we can't sell or rent the house here? We'll be real short of cash.

Trouble is we live in a beautiful part of Dorset, we have views of the sea from our house, the children have settled into school and made friends really well in the last year. I'm getting 6 weeks holiday and going back to 2 weeks feels quite hard.

We're all feeling eather stressed about it at the moment.

Just wondered if these were normal feeling at this stage in the proceedings?
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 10:01 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: got job interiew and now getting cold feet

Originally Posted by David P
Just wondered if anyone else has had the same emotions as we are having at the moment.

We applied for PR over a year ago and been hunting for jobs ever since. Suddenly get an interview in Kelowna and the enormity of what we're doing hits home.

Are we really ready to give up our comfortable life here for the uncertainty of moving to Canada?

What if we move and job falls through after a few months and we have to lcome back? We could never afford to come back to our town and the consant upheaval would affect the children and their education really bad.

How are we going to cope financially during the change? I'll be working in Canada and the rest of the family will still be here sorting out the move for a few months. That's two households to run and all the problems of being apart for quite a while.

Trouble is we live in a beautiful part of Dorset, we have views of the sea from our house, the children have settled into school and made friends really well in the last year. I'm getting 6 weeks holiday and going back to 2 weeks feels quite hard.

Yes
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 10:05 pm
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of

I think there would be something wrong if you weren't feeling that way. It's a massive undertaking and you have to be sure. For most people it works out but I never cease to be suprised at those people returning from Australia after just 6 weeks - they clearly ignored any of the feelings that you are having rather than working them out and considering the what if's.

We gave up loads and came with no jobs but we recognised it would be tough at times - it's worked out for us and we settled really quickly. As I said, I think it is normal to have these feelings - you have to confront them and weigh up what you are doing. You must have applied originally for a reason - what has changed?

Good luck with whatever you decide......
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

sjmartin is on a distinguished road

We're in the same boat, live in Wilts/dorset border with two young children, PR applied for and hubby has had first telephone interview with second in person interview at the end of May.

We are both in absolute turmoil, thought we would have to wait 4 years or more and now looks alot closer than we thought!

An awful lot of up moments and down moments and a bit of an emotional rollercoaster.

You're not alone - Good luck!
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 10:38 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh, we felt much the same way. It all feels a bit scarey now doesn't it.

We didn't mind moving, just overwhelmed by the enormity of emigrating. Lasted a couple of weeks for me, then it was onwards and upwards
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

Lonestar is an unknown quantity at this point

[

QUOTE]
Please rethink of why you want to immigrate, you live in a beautiful part of the country with a job with great benefits,everything that people in the UK living in the major cities dream of but feel its not affordable in the UK, but you have it.It reminds me of the story of immigrant doctors from the east who have great jobs,plenty of money and even house maids ,believing that the move would give them and their children a better life (the children i think are used as an excuse by ourselves) only to live in poverty once reaching Canada.
I live in a crap part of the UK with the EU reality hitting home with free to travel EU citizens on my doorstep......ROMANY GYPSYS........the powers at be are not running the country badly or making silly mistakes in regards to immigration etc. 'THEY HAVE A MASTER PLAN' and first its to stop the cry for sovereignty of England and how you do that is drive the likes of you out through media bombardment of the rising crime,taxes,immigration etc. etc. sooner or later north america will be the same under the NAFTA agreement.Also I live in a 1 bed flat with the wife and 1 1/2 kids with a mortgage which i don't think i will be lucky enough just to keep up with the interest payments in the near future.So for me even though i have a half decent job with company car ,life is still good enough for even me to think should i just stick it out and not take the risk?????????? there is a reason for everything that happens and just like every man and his dog in the UK dream about immigrating just like every man and his dog dream about becoming millionaires ,its only the few who get off their ass and do something about it and thats where destiny comes into play.what if you had the opportunity to be one of those 10 pound poms who were begged with expenses paid to immigrate to australia but at cold feet in the end or one of those europeans who flocked to the new world......if you have a job there waiting it might just be worth the risk.goodluck and God Bless.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 11:36 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Blimey.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

MonkeyMagic has a brilliant futureMonkeyMagic has a brilliant futureMonkeyMagic has a brilliant futureMonkeyMagic has a brilliant futureMonkeyMagic has a brilliant futureMonkeyMagic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lonestar
[Also I live in a 1 bed flat with the wife and 1 1/2 kids with a mortgage which i don't think i will be lucky enough just to keep up with the interest payments in the near future.So for me even though i have a half decent job with company car ,life is still good enough for even me to think should i just stick it out and not take the risk??????????
Couldn't agree more Lonestar - in the same boat, (slightly bigger as 2 bed flat and only 1 child ).

stu
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

DAvid

You are not alone my love with your feelings.

My hubby got a job in Canada whilst we were on holiday last year - we were ecstatic and couldnt wait to get the positive LMO through from HRDSC.

When the LMO eventually came back again we were ecstatic. However, a couple of days later I got the sudden urge not to go - I was panic stricken with it all and didnt know how to break the "news" to OH.

Then speaking to people on here I realised that I was having "natural" feelings - it is a bit daunting to say the very least nad I got used to idea again and became excited.

It has been a very bad roller coaster of emotions and it is still so now.

OH flew out to start his job on Feb 4th and I am now left to sell up and pack up - I will not lie it is very hard, much harder than anyone could have told me it would be.

The one thing that drives me on is that I KNOW that is WILL be worth it in the end.

The worst part of all of this is that when you say goodbye at the airport you finally realise that you dont know when your family will be back together again.

All of this is absolutely normal - go with the flow and realise your dreams.

As the the L'oreal commercial says

'Cos you're worth it

Gaynor
x
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

David - completely normal.

We had a funny fortnight in our house couple of weeks ago - this was when hubby was finally offered his long-awaited job. Mini-celebration, then crash - he came to earth with an almighty bump and was very wobbly for a while. Ditto some of the things you said, live in a nice area, kids settled, don't hate the UK at all - life ain't bad at all really. Plus he will miss his mum, dad and brothers very much. Plus he does actually love his job too.

I kept my head down, and started looking on rightmove.com again 'cos I thought it was all over and we'd be staying here !!

But no, he's come round again - and finally, the real excitement is kicking in. We have about 9 weeks to go. I'm not naive enough to think it'll all be hunky dory and go skipping off into the sunset - he WILL miss his parents, the new job will be odd for a while and we have a very tearful 9 year old to contend with at the moment.

But if you give all your feelings due consideration, and just allow yourself to have these wobbly times, I'm sure you will be fine. How is your wife feeling - we are often at opposite ends of our rollercoaster, so when one is down, the other cheers them up again !

I guess if the feelings of fear and dread are completely overwhelming though, not just a passing anxiety - then listen to those too. It IS a massive step and not to be taken lightly. Wishing all the best
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Yes i agree it's all part of the process, you get all excited and then you suddenly find yourself in one of those "what if" moods and the panic sets in.

For us the first moment when we had that "oh my god" feeling was when the "for sale" sign went up outside the house. Then things went back to normal for a while until the day we sold and got a closed chain and then it hits you again that things are really moving and it won't be long.Then we had a downer when the chain collapsed and our move seemed to be stuck in no mans land for 3 weeks and then yesterday we found out our buyers buyer is so desparate to exchange they are getting a bridging loan so there are only 3 of us in the chain now and exchange looks to be just round the corner.

Needless to say today i feel both elated and scared as it's getting closer now and there's so much to do.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 12:27 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I was the same as you Printer - when the 'For Sale' sign went up it was a bit of a wobbly moment. We too had a good life, nice house, good jobs but we also knew we loved Canada and wanted to move there. We sold our house really quickly and then it was all planning, planning, planning.

If you haven't already told people, then that can be a great weight off your shoulders. After all, for a lot of us its a 'big secret'.

For Ann - Let your son know that he will be more than welcomed by the kids in Canada. He will make friends very quickly and will more than likely love his new school. Our kids settled in straight away (aged 12 and 16) and both love it here (including school ). If both mum and dad appear happy and confident about the move then he will feel more secure and his fears will start to fade

Good luck everyone
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

rain426 will become famous soon enoughrain426 will become famous soon enough

I am sure that its all perfectly normal. Its a huge 'life change' (I really hate that phrase for some reason), and everything like that will affect you to some degree.

Personally, for me at the moment my main worry is the flight (I am a bit of a nervous flyer). But then we are only in the first stages of our application. I am sure nearer the time that the butterflies may well turn into condors.

Good luck for the future though!

Ian
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not obvious what would be better in Canada. What prompted you to think of leaving?
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:16 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Its normal to have some doubts, a lot can change in the years it takes to get PR.

My advice is to try and recall your motivation for setting out down this path.

Just because you can , doesnt in any way mean you have to come to Canada now if those reasons no longer apply. Maybe a vacation in Canada again would help solidify your feelings one way or the other.

Sounds like you have it pretty good right now, but maybe that was never your reason for starting the immigration process in the first place...only you can decide whats right for you and your family...dont be pressured.

If its any comfort many people survive the financial problems of moving then moving back...its not the end of the world, life goes on. Coming then going is hardly "constant" upheaval, and in many respects for kids its not so different to moving within the UK..something I survived a few times growing up. Kids seem to make friends and adjust easier than adults in my opinion. There will inevitably be an adjustment period after you arrive though...so dont make any hasty decisions when you are in the culture shock phase that typically is worst at about 6 months in.

There is no reason not to delay coming to a job in Canada long enough to tie up everything in the UK and come as a family...it will be stressful enough as it is without having financial worries and not having your natural support group to help you along and to experience the joys of starting afresh on this adventure together.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 23rd 2007 at 1:25 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.