Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Goods values in UK / Canada

Goods values in UK / Canada

Old Nov 21st 2019, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

rabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud of
Default Goods values in UK / Canada

Hi Folks.

What items have you found that are more expensive to buy in Canada compared to the UK? Similarly, what about the other way round? What is more expensive to buy in the UK that is cheaper in Canada?

So far I've identified that certain computer products are less cheaper in Canada. e.g. a hard drive purchase in Alberta last year cost just over half of what it would cost in UK.
Some Amateur Radio equipment is considerably less expensive in Canada too.

What other items have you discovered that have a large price differential for the same product?
I'm currently in the UK, but heading back to Canada again this Summer, so wondering what is higher value here that I could potentially bring with me to offset the cost of a plane ticket ;-)
Old Nov 21st 2019, 12:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods values in UK / Canada

Originally Posted by rabrol
Hi Folks.

What items have you found that are more expensive to buy in Canada compared to the UK? Similarly, what about the other way round? What is more expensive to buy in the UK that is cheaper in Canada?

So far I've identified that certain computer products are less cheaper in Canada. e.g. a hard drive purchase in Alberta last year cost just over half of what it would cost in UK.
Some Amateur Radio equipment is considerably less expensive in Canada too.

What other items have you discovered that have a large price differential for the same product?
I'm currently in the UK, but heading back to Canada again this Summer, so wondering what is higher value here that I could potentially bring with me to offset the cost of a plane ticket ;-)
Marmite.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

rabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
Marmite.
A mate already has his 'order' in ;-)
Old Nov 21st 2019, 12:48 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Marmite.
And Pa will.

Old Nov 21st 2019, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Are we factoring in sales tax? For example I think many electronics are around the same in the UK once you deduct the 20% VAT.

Lumber is very cheap in Canada, which is good for DIY/Woodworking projects. Electricity is a lot cheaper as well.

Cell phone and internet plans are more expensive here. Used cars are more expensive too, and you even have to pay sales tax on them!

Banking fees are more expensive generally, you usually have to go to a credit union if you want an account with no monthly fee.

Bread is more expensive as I have to go to Cobs Bread to get bread that is actually edible. Cheese is more expensive though some good deals can be found if you shop around.

Not sure there is really much you can bring in a suitcase that has a significant difference in price.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 9:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Electricity is a lot cheaper as well.
But depending on where one lives you may be using massive amounts in cold weather.
I went from paying about £30 a month (on the then exchange equivalent of $66) in Bristol for all gas/electricity to $260 a month here in 2005.
Rates might be cheaper but actual spend may be a different story

Old Nov 22nd 2019, 11:33 am
dah diddly dah

btar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Are we factoring in sales tax? For example I think many electronics are around the same in the UK once you deduct the 20% VAT.

Lumber is very cheap in Canada, which is good for DIY/Woodworking projects. Electricity is a lot cheaper as well.

Cell phone and internet plans are more expensive here. Used cars are more expensive too, and you even have to pay sales tax on them!

Banking fees are more expensive generally, you usually have to go to a credit union if you want an account with no monthly fee.

Bread is more expensive as I have to go to Cobs Bread to get bread that is actually edible. Cheese is more expensive though some good deals can be found if you shop around.

Not sure there is really much you can bring in a suitcase that has a significant difference in price.
What about beds? Certainly won't fit in a suitcase so for someone moving to Canada (BC) do I ship a bed or buy a new one in BC? I know the shipping cost must be considered but how do beds compare in BC for comfort and cost?
Take for example a Sealy King (150cm wide) with pocket springs plus additional layers of foam etc for comfort. In recent sales here at a well known village furniture store a complete bed (mattress and base with 4 drawers) varies from about £1000 to £1300. Free delivery, nothing else to buy except a headboard if needed.
I welcome your opinions.
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by btar
What about beds? Certainly won't fit in a suitcase so for someone moving to Canada (BC) do I ship a bed or buy a new one in BC? I know the shipping cost must be considered but how do beds compare in BC for comfort and cost?
Take for example a Sealy King (150cm wide) with pocket springs plus additional layers of foam etc for comfort. In recent sales here at a well known village furniture store a complete bed (mattress and base with 4 drawers) varies from about £1000 to £1300. Free delivery, nothing else to buy except a headboard if needed.
I welcome your opinions.
Unless you are shipping stuff already in your own container and have room anyway, AND you already own a UK King size bed, then it makes sense to ship it (as it is 'free'). UK King is almost identical in size to a Canadian Queen (about an inch or so different. But stock up on sheets and bedding anyway.

BUT, it would not make sense at all to specifically buy a bed in the UK then ship it specially to Canada, if that is your situation, then buy in Canada.
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 1:46 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Marmite.
Marmite is $2 in Walmart here
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 2:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Obviously, I am not the sort of person who would go into a WalMart. At Tesco it's $1 per 50 grams so is that for more than 100 grams?

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...marmite%20500g

https://www.google.com/search?source...=1574435371725

Last edited by dbd33; Nov 22nd 2019 at 2:11 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 3:55 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I welcome your opinions.
Why would you buy a new bed and pay for it to be shipped, pay duties and import taxes on top - (because you won't have owned it for more than 6 months) when you can buy a similar mattress and bed here. For what you quote you could buy in the sales here - a bedroom set https://teppermans.com/furniture/bed...pc-bedroom-set - headboard, footboard, rails, nightstand, dresser and a mirror and a Sealy mattress https://www.thebrick.com/products/se...n-mattress-set

Free delivery is available in Canada
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 5:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
That sounds like a special offer. A very special offer. The website says 125g @ $4.47. Last time I bought any it was $3.99.
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 5:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That sounds like a special offer. A very special offer. The website says 125g @ $4.47. Last time I bought any it was $3.99.
I don't know the current price in Canada as I'm still munching through the half dozen pots I got last time I was at home.
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I welcome your opinions.
Funnily enough I recently bought a bed! I bought a Logan & Cove Mattress from GoodMorning.com which is Canada exclusive online mattress store and I'm satisfied with it. Came to around $1300. Bed frames on Amazon.ca are quite affordable as well, I bought this bed frame for just over $300 + tax: https://www.amazon.ca/Upholstered-Button-Premium-Platform-Support/dp/B07984NTV1/
So yeah, pretty affordable.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 9:46 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I too thought that Bristol...I am very much ‘in need’ of Marmite presently and those little pots do seem to be a bit eye watering...I could devour that in a couple of days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.