Reload this Page >

Goods to follow shipment

Goods to follow shipment

Old Sep 12th 2018, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

iceman4386 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Goods to follow shipment

Hi All
I am preparing my Goods to Follow shipment and wanted to bring my decorative and ornamental Swords in this shipment to Canada
I dont see them mentioned on the prohibited items list
Has anybody bought similar items in there Goods to Follow and did they experience any problems in doing so?
Old Sep 12th 2018, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods to follow shipment

Because they are not prohibited items so can be imported.
Old Sep 12th 2018, 5:31 pm
Moving to Mississauga!

ScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond repute

We’re bringing a decorative samurai sword and it seems to be fine to bring. Shippers are coming in 10 days to pack so I’ll let you know if there are any issues!
Old Sep 13th 2018, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

cheers guys
i will wrap them up and put them into the pallet and also mention them on the Goods to follow list
Old Sep 17th 2018, 10:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iceman4386
Hi All
I am preparing my Goods to Follow shipment and wanted to bring my decorative and ornamental Swords in this shipment to Canada
I dont see them mentioned on the prohibited items list
Has anybody bought similar items in there Goods to Follow and did they experience any problems in doing so?
Just checking you're aware that you don't need a GTF list to go over on a TWP? Just that from your other threads that seems to be your plan, then apply for paper based PNP, so you're at least 2 years away from needing a GTF list, I wouldn't bother doing it yet as it will no doubt change greatly in that time.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just checking you're aware that you don't need a GTF list to go over on a TWP? Just that from your other threads that seems to be your plan, then apply for paper based PNP, so you're at least 2 years away from needing a GTF list, I wouldn't bother doing it yet as it will no doubt change greatly in that time.
I plan to have the GTF shipment dispatched from the UK once i have received nomination from the OINP and at this point i will be arriving in Canada to settle with family
Old Sep 17th 2018, 11:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I plan to have the GTF shipment dispatched from the UK once i have received nomination from the OINP and at this point i will be arriving in Canada to settle with family
You only need it when you 'land' with PR though, you don't need if you go over on a TWP. So as above, you're at least 2 years away from needing a GTF list.

HTH.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

You only need it when you 'land' with PR though, you don't need if you go over on a TWP. So as above, you're at least 2 years away from needing a GTF list.

HTH.
Ok, can i not bring my goods to follow, i.e all our family possessions in the shipment when i arrive with my TWP before applying for my PR?
Old Sep 17th 2018, 1:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Ok, can i not bring my goods to follow, i.e all our family possessions in the shipment when i arrive with my TWP before applying for my PR?
You can, but because you're only on a temp visa the goods don't need to be declared, as it's assumed you'll take them back with you when you leave Canada. Only those 'landing' as PR's need a GTF list.

HTH.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

You can, but because you're only on a temp visa the goods don't need to be declared, as it's assumed you'll take them back with you when you leave Canada. Only those 'landing' as PR's need a GTF list.

HTH.
Got you, so as i wont be arriving as a 'settler' the shipping company will have to use the Temp Importation of baggage Customs code.

Will this be duty and excise free too?

As the packing is almost complete i will have import temporarily and if and when PR is granted advise Customs to change the importation from Temp to Permanent
Old Sep 17th 2018, 2:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

As the packing is almost complete
Maybe I'm missing something, but you're going out in a couple of months just to job hunt right? So then if you are lucky enough to get a job offer from a sponsoring employer, will return to the UK to await your nomination and won't be moving until March 2019 at the earliest? If you've packed already you may have jumped the gun a tad! Particularly if you don't find a sponsoring employer. Make sure you don't do anything until you have nomination, don't send stuff until then.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 3:57 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I know several people who have come over on TWP's that would last more than 36 months who completed GTF lists so that they did not have to pay duty and taxes on the items they were bringing in temporarily - or permanently (2 of them applied successfully for PR whilst here on TWP's). However, these were people that already had TWP's in hand / LMIA or IEC's so knew they would be considered temporary 'settlers'.

Regardless - I wholly concur with christmasoompa that it is FAR too soon to be thinking of presenting a GTF list if you haven't actually a) got a job offer with LMIA approval or b) a Provincial Nomination work permit support letter or COPR in hand! I'd suggest you wait until you have one of those and are arriving in Canada to take up your job or when 'landing' as a PR!

Do not send a shipment until you have one of them.. there are no guarantees that you will be able to remain in Canada!

One thing also, if you turn up 'as a visitor' with a GTF list it could appear that you do not intend to return to the UK/normal country of residence, don't have sufficient ties to your 'normal country of residence' and you could be refused entry on the grounds you are not a genuine visitor!

Additionally, there are no guarantees that you will be given any specific period of time to be in Canada as a visitor - you can be given UP TO 6 months - but you could be given as little as 2 weeks if they feel you are trying to 'slip under the table'. Do you have proof of sufficient funds to sustain yourself for the anticipated length of stay? Accommodation - an itinerary - a return ticket? Are you prepared for CBSA to examine your documents / phone / laptop should they suspect that you do not intend to leave?

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 17th 2018 at 4:24 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 3:14 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

If you're only coming for a few weeks to hunt for a job, why would you bring all your goods and chattels with you?
Old Sep 18th 2018, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
If you're only coming for a few weeks to hunt for a job, why would you bring all your goods and chattels with you?
No Rivington, i will be importing all my stuff once i have the nomination and TWP in place.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 2:04 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

No Rivington, i will be importing all my stuff once i have the nomination and TWP in place.
But you have stated upthread that you are arranging for the goods to be packed and shipped..

Please, don't do anything rash - don't arrange the shipment (nor submit a goods to follow list) until such time as you

a) have a job offer with LMIA approval..
OR
b) Provincial Nomination with a work permit support letter..
OR
c) your COPR in hand!

We are not saying this to put you off or to hinder you - we are saying this as we have seen it before and know that it doesn't work to try to get around the correct and logical process ... we are trying to help you! Trying to 'jump the gun' so to speak can end in tears or be a very expensive lesson.

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 18th 2018 at 2:08 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.