Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Goods to follow/accompanying list not stamped.

Goods to follow/accompanying list not stamped.

Old Jan 4th 2022, 5:22 am
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 417
Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Goods to follow/accompanying list not stamped.

Hi there, landed here as a student in September. Complete with paperwork coming out of my ears, included about 5 pages of goods to follow/goods accompanying lists (along with a nicely referenced folder with pictures of items that were following etc.)

Had my PR approved in November, got e-copr early December, now have a PR card etc.

At the first desk with an immigration officer I was asked for various things including covid test results, vaccine paperwork, passport etc and purpose of my visit (explained dual intention - study but I also had a PR application in the pipeline, had all my goods to follow/accompanying lists) he was fine with everything then sent me off to get my study permit issued.

This was extremely busy with hundreds of other students also getting their permits - was rushed through and rubber stamped, no questions, no chance to talk to anyone - you queued up to get into what would normally be the waiting room, you had to hand passport and paperwork in when you got into the room (so handed in my 2 lists, letter of acceptance and passport), they all went in a big basket and you were put in another queue, once you got to the front line of this queue there was no barrier to one side and you just shuffled forward till your name was called, went up and got your passport and aperwork back along with a study permit pushed at you and ushered on for the next person. the list came back unstamped (which I didn't realise for a few days). In hindsight I should have pushed here for more questions but after 3+ hours in the airport, very little social distancing, roasting temperatures and hauling my life around in 3 suitcases, whilst my lift waiting outside was getting more and more annoyed with me I just wanted to leave (and think I'd slept about 3 hours out of the previous 48 at that point).

Spoke to someone at the customs terminal the following week when my dogs were flown in and explained the document was unstamped - they told me to not worry, it would be sorted out if/when I land permanently. With virtual landing there was no option to do any of that.

Apart from keeping this list, marking off when I move anything in to the country and its value at the time I do so, is there anything else I should be doing?
Stumpylegs is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2022, 6:55 pm
  #2  
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
PMM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 9,704
PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods to follow/accompanying list not stamped.

Hi

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs View Post
Hi there, landed here as a student in September. Complete with paperwork coming out of my ears, included about 5 pages of goods to follow/goods accompanying lists (along with a nicely referenced folder with pictures of items that were following etc.)

Had my PR approved in November, got e-copr early December, now have a PR card etc.

At the first desk with an immigration officer I was asked for various things including covid test results, vaccine paperwork, passport etc and purpose of my visit (explained dual intention - study but I also had a PR application in the pipeline, had all my goods to follow/accompanying lists) he was fine with everything then sent me off to get my study permit issued.

This was extremely busy with hundreds of other students also getting their permits - was rushed through and rubber stamped, no questions, no chance to talk to anyone - you queued up to get into what would normally be the waiting room, you had to hand passport and paperwork in when you got into the room (so handed in my 2 lists, letter of acceptance and passport), they all went in a big basket and you were put in another queue, once you got to the front line of this queue there was no barrier to one side and you just shuffled forward till your name was called, went up and got your passport and aperwork back along with a study permit pushed at you and ushered on for the next person. the list came back unstamped (which I didn't realise for a few days). In hindsight I should have pushed here for more questions but after 3+ hours in the airport, very little social distancing, roasting temperatures and hauling my life around in 3 suitcases, whilst my lift waiting outside was getting more and more annoyed with me I just wanted to leave (and think I'd slept about 3 hours out of the previous 48 at that point).

Spoke to someone at the customs terminal the following week when my dogs were flown in and explained the document was unstamped - they told me to not worry, it would be sorted out if/when I land permanently. With virtual landing there was no option to do any of that.

Apart from keeping this list, marking off when I move anything in to the country and its value at the time I do so, is there anything else I should be doing?
1, GTF are not a requirement for visitors who are expected to remove all their possession when they leave Canada.
PMM is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2022, 7:29 pm
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 417
Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods to follow/accompanying list not stamped.

Originally Posted by PMM View Post
Hi

1, GTF are not a requirement for visitors who are expected to remove all their possession when they leave Canada.
I get that - I was entering as a temporary resident rather than a visitor, but as I explained to the immigration officer I had the potential to stay indefinitely. i.e if PR was successful I likely wouldn't be leaving (don't remember the exact conversation but I'm pretty sure he even wished me luck!)

PR was successful - I don't want to get stung for a huge tax bill or anything else further down the road. I assume anyone who has been through the virtual landing is potentially in the same position as we've had no option to get the lists stamped. (anyone who entered on IEC and then got in via CEC etc)
Stumpylegs is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2022, 8:05 pm
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,538
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods to follow/accompanying list not stamped.

Dependent where you live I suggest taking all documentation if possible to your nearest CBSA office and explain what happened. Hopefully you get an understanding officer. 1-800-461-9999
Former Lancastrian is online now  
Old Jan 4th 2022, 9:03 pm
  #5  
dah diddly dah
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Location: BC
Posts: 79
btar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Goods to follow/accompanying list not stamped.

That is exactly what we did when we landed at YVR about 15 months ago. We completed the landing forms electronically and completely missed the question about GTF. Once out of quarantine, we took the paperwork to the CBSA office in Main Street to be greeted by a very helpful officer who told us not to worry and come back once the goods had arrived together with the paperwork from the shipping company. And so we did. No problem, all stamped on the second visit by yet another cheerful officer. A good experience which at the time was rather worrying.
btar is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2022, 5:43 am
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 417
Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods to follow/accompanying list not stamped.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Dependent where you live I suggest taking all documentation if possible to your nearest CBSA office and explain what happened. Hopefully you get an understanding officer. 1-800-461-9999
Will do, was working in front of the one in Vancouver last week so will pop down as soon as I get a day off in the week (likely next week)

Originally Posted by btar View Post
That is exactly what we did when we landed at YVR about 15 months ago. We completed the landing forms electronically and completely missed the question about GTF. Once out of quarantine, we took the paperwork to the CBSA office in Main Street to be greeted by a very helpful officer who told us not to worry and come back once the goods had arrived together with the paperwork from the shipping company. And so we did. No problem, all stamped on the second visit by yet another cheerful officer. A good experience which at the time was rather worrying.
Thanks, that's reassuring to know, I didn't even get a question on the electric terminal as I was entering as a temporary resident but even when I tried to explain it to the officer- I got pushed on to the next queue and it all happened so quick I didn't realize.
Stumpylegs is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.