British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Goods to follow/accompanying list not stamped. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/goods-follow-accompanying-list-not-stamped-942185/)

Stumpylegs Jan 4th 2022 5:22 am

Goods to follow/accompanying list not stamped.
 
Hi there, landed here as a student in September. Complete with paperwork coming out of my ears, included about 5 pages of goods to follow/goods accompanying lists (along with a nicely referenced folder with pictures of items that were following etc.)

Had my PR approved in November, got e-copr early December, now have a PR card etc.

At the first desk with an immigration officer I was asked for various things including covid test results, vaccine paperwork, passport etc and purpose of my visit (explained dual intention - study but I also had a PR application in the pipeline, had all my goods to follow/accompanying lists) he was fine with everything then sent me off to get my study permit issued.

This was extremely busy with hundreds of other students also getting their permits - was rushed through and rubber stamped, no questions, no chance to talk to anyone - you queued up to get into what would normally be the waiting room, you had to hand passport and paperwork in when you got into the room (so handed in my 2 lists, letter of acceptance and passport), they all went in a big basket and you were put in another queue, once you got to the front line of this queue there was no barrier to one side and you just shuffled forward till your name was called, went up and got your passport and aperwork back along with a study permit pushed at you and ushered on for the next person. the list came back unstamped (which I didn't realise for a few days). In hindsight I should have pushed here for more questions but after 3+ hours in the airport, very little social distancing, roasting temperatures and hauling my life around in 3 suitcases, whilst my lift waiting outside was getting more and more annoyed with me I just wanted to leave (and think I'd slept about 3 hours out of the previous 48 at that point).

Spoke to someone at the customs terminal the following week when my dogs were flown in and explained the document was unstamped - they told me to not worry, it would be sorted out if/when I land permanently. With virtual landing there was no option to do any of that.

Apart from keeping this list, marking off when I move anything in to the country and its value at the time I do so, is there anything else I should be doing?

PMM Jan 4th 2022 6:55 pm

Re: Goods to follow/accompanying list not stamped.
 
Hi


Originally Posted by Stumpylegs (Post 13086070)
Hi there, landed here as a student in September. Complete with paperwork coming out of my ears, included about 5 pages of goods to follow/goods accompanying lists (along with a nicely referenced folder with pictures of items that were following etc.)

Had my PR approved in November, got e-copr early December, now have a PR card etc.

At the first desk with an immigration officer I was asked for various things including covid test results, vaccine paperwork, passport etc and purpose of my visit (explained dual intention - study but I also had a PR application in the pipeline, had all my goods to follow/accompanying lists) he was fine with everything then sent me off to get my study permit issued.

This was extremely busy with hundreds of other students also getting their permits - was rushed through and rubber stamped, no questions, no chance to talk to anyone - you queued up to get into what would normally be the waiting room, you had to hand passport and paperwork in when you got into the room (so handed in my 2 lists, letter of acceptance and passport), they all went in a big basket and you were put in another queue, once you got to the front line of this queue there was no barrier to one side and you just shuffled forward till your name was called, went up and got your passport and aperwork back along with a study permit pushed at you and ushered on for the next person. the list came back unstamped (which I didn't realise for a few days). In hindsight I should have pushed here for more questions but after 3+ hours in the airport, very little social distancing, roasting temperatures and hauling my life around in 3 suitcases, whilst my lift waiting outside was getting more and more annoyed with me I just wanted to leave (and think I'd slept about 3 hours out of the previous 48 at that point).

Spoke to someone at the customs terminal the following week when my dogs were flown in and explained the document was unstamped - they told me to not worry, it would be sorted out if/when I land permanently. With virtual landing there was no option to do any of that.

Apart from keeping this list, marking off when I move anything in to the country and its value at the time I do so, is there anything else I should be doing?

1, GTF are not a requirement for visitors who are expected to remove all their possession when they leave Canada.

Stumpylegs Jan 4th 2022 7:29 pm

Re: Goods to follow/accompanying list not stamped.
 

Originally Posted by PMM (Post 13086204)
Hi

1, GTF are not a requirement for visitors who are expected to remove all their possession when they leave Canada.

I get that - I was entering as a temporary resident rather than a visitor, but as I explained to the immigration officer I had the potential to stay indefinitely. i.e if PR was successful I likely wouldn't be leaving (don't remember the exact conversation but I'm pretty sure he even wished me luck!)

PR was successful - I don't want to get stung for a huge tax bill or anything else further down the road. I assume anyone who has been through the virtual landing is potentially in the same position as we've had no option to get the lists stamped. (anyone who entered on IEC and then got in via CEC etc)

Former Lancastrian Jan 4th 2022 8:05 pm

Re: Goods to follow/accompanying list not stamped.
 
Dependent where you live I suggest taking all documentation if possible to your nearest CBSA office and explain what happened. Hopefully you get an understanding officer. 1-800-461-9999

btar Jan 4th 2022 9:03 pm

Re: Goods to follow/accompanying list not stamped.
 
That is exactly what we did when we landed at YVR about 15 months ago. We completed the landing forms electronically and completely missed the question about GTF. Once out of quarantine, we took the paperwork to the CBSA office in Main Street to be greeted by a very helpful officer who told us not to worry and come back once the goods had arrived together with the paperwork from the shipping company. And so we did. No problem, all stamped on the second visit by yet another cheerful officer. A good experience which at the time was rather worrying.

Stumpylegs Jan 6th 2022 5:43 am

Re: Goods to follow/accompanying list not stamped.
 

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13086210)
Dependent where you live I suggest taking all documentation if possible to your nearest CBSA office and explain what happened. Hopefully you get an understanding officer. 1-800-461-9999

Will do, was working in front of the one in Vancouver last week so will pop down as soon as I get a day off in the week (likely next week)


Originally Posted by btar (Post 13086219)
That is exactly what we did when we landed at YVR about 15 months ago. We completed the landing forms electronically and completely missed the question about GTF. Once out of quarantine, we took the paperwork to the CBSA office in Main Street to be greeted by a very helpful officer who told us not to worry and come back once the goods had arrived together with the paperwork from the shipping company. And so we did. No problem, all stamped on the second visit by yet another cheerful officer. A good experience which at the time was rather worrying.

Thanks, that's reassuring to know, I didn't even get a question on the electric terminal as I was entering as a temporary resident but even when I tried to explain it to the officer- I got pushed on to the next queue and it all happened so quick I didn't realize.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:36 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.