Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Goods to follow

Goods to follow

Old Jan 30th 2012, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

bex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nice
Default Goods to follow

Having "landed" in October 2010 we had to provide our "goods to follow" list - even though we were returning to the UK and the Immigration Official knew this. This was processed, added up and filed in front of us.

We are not planning to return to Canada until next year, we have obviously purchased additional things which we will take that are not on the list submitted at the time.

Where do I list these things and do I have to pay import duty for them (even though they are over 6 months old)? If I can get receipts (some goods are 2nd hand) and provide this do I just pay duty on that element of the shipment?

Oh, and no one ever mentioned the CAT! I didn't know that an animal was suppose to be listed on the "goods to follow" list, so he never got listed even though we've had him 5 years! I'm worried that when we get there it'll be a problem to get him released I have a receipt for him though.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods to follow

Originally Posted by bex1
Having "landed" in October 2010 we had to provide our "goods to follow" list - even though we were returning to the UK and the Immigration Official knew this. This was processed, added up and filed in front of us.

We are not planning to return to Canada until next year, we have obviously purchased additional things which we will take that are not on the list submitted at the time.
I'd be more worried about not being able to hold on to your PR status really. You know about the x amount of days in the last 5 years, do you?
Old Jan 30th 2012, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

bex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nice

Thanks, yes, already covered in another post, but it would be within the required amount of days, although cutting it fine, but we haven't had a lot of choice. We may even take a trip over this summer and use our cards to test the theory.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, yes, already covered in another post, but it would be within the required amount of days, although cutting it fine, but we haven't had a lot of choice. We may even take a trip over this summer and use our cards to test the theory.
While you do that, go visit a CBSA office and ask what to do.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Where do I list these things and do I have to pay import duty for them (even though they are over 6 months old)? If I can get receipts (some goods are 2nd hand) and provide this do I just pay duty on that element of the shipment?

Oh, and no one ever mentioned the CAT! I didn't know that an animal was suppose to be listed on the "goods to follow" list, so he never got listed even though we've had him 5 years! I'm worried that when we get there it'll be a problem to get him released I have a receipt for him though.
Items purchased after you submitted your list do not qualify as GTF.
Make a seperate list of those goods purchased and show CBSA if asked.
One of the problems of landing first and not being ready to move.
Wont you have the cat with you physically ? As long as you have rabies certificates you will be fine
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/.../felin1e.shtml
Old Jan 30th 2012, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Items purchased after you submitted your list do not qualify as GTF.
Make a seperate list of those goods purchased and show CBSA if asked.
One of the problems of landing first and not being ready to move.
Wont you have the cat with you physically ? As long as you have rabies certificates you will be fine
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/.../felin1e.shtml
When we landed I remember the lady doing our GTF list say that as returning residents we would be entitled to the $750 personal exception each. So I looked on the CBSA website and saw there's a form E311 that you complete when you reenter Canada and you detail the value on there, although it doesn't ask for a description of goods, how will they know what we're bringing in? Guessing they'll want receipts, but some of these items I've bought from friends, so will just get a receipt from them for the goods. If it comes in my container at a later date do I pay it then or at the airport when I arrive?

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...s/e311-eng.pdf

Yes the cat should be with us, but I'd read AFTER we'd gone through the process that he should have been on the GTF! He's not had a rabies jab as it's not required, but I think after reading some more that I will get him a passport, sounds a bit easier, especially if we ship him ourselves rather than pay someone exorbitant amounts to do it for us.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

When we landed I remember the lady doing our GTF list say that as returning residents we would be entitled to the $750 personal exception each. So I looked on the CBSA website and saw there's a form E311 that you complete when you reenter Canada and you detail the value on there, although it doesn't ask for a description of goods, how will they know what we're bringing in? Guessing they'll want receipts, but some of these items I've bought from friends, so will just get a receipt from them for the goods. If it comes in my container at a later date do I pay it then or at the airport when I arrive?

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...s/e311-eng.pdf

Yes the cat should be with us, but I'd read AFTER we'd gone through the process that he should have been on the GTF! He's not had a rabies jab as it's not required, but I think after reading some more that I will get him a passport, sounds a bit easier, especially if we ship him ourselves rather than pay someone exorbitant amounts to do it for us.
Yes you will be entitled to the $750 exemption and the E311 is given to you on the plane. If goods are in a container they are usually cleared at the local CBSA office and you go down withh all of your paperwork. Ask to fill out form E24 when you arrive to account for any goods in the container.
Do check out that CFIA link as that specifically deals with importation of cats and what is required.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Yam Yam is on a distinguished road

what happens when they process, add up and file? Do you end up paying anything? We are due to land in Mar for 2 weeks only and return after?
Old Jan 30th 2012, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Yam Yam
what happens when they process, add up and file? Do you end up paying anything? We are due to land in Mar for 2 weeks only and return after?
Copies of GTF are filed plus one copy is given back to you stamped up by CBSA. The goods can then be matched up when they arrive and if necessary any applicable taxes collected.
My only suggestion is not to make major purchases after submitting a GTF list unless of course willing to pay the taxes.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

We landed at a land border and omg was it painful! From what I have read airport landing go smoother. We finally got our PR paperwork stamped and processed & were sent to the next desk for our GTF list to be processed. They go through it all with a calculator as you have to list everything out with a value in Canadian dollars and include serial numbers where applicable! Took forever as it was pages long! They keep a copy and they stamp your copy. List everything you own, even if you might not take it! We have been back a while since landing and have accumulated more stuff (!) but hopefully with our personal allowance of $750 each we might be able to cover most of what we've bought and other stuff will just go into boxes that were generalised like "kitchen equipment" as you can list it like this, ie 1 x box of linen. Etc. You don't pay anything when you land as you can bring all your goods in but anything you buy after the list is stamped is subject to import duty as you're suppose to have owned everything listed prior to 6 months before landing. Does that make sense?
Old Jan 31st 2012, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Yam Yam is on a distinguished road

Are there separate forms for good to follow and goods with you at the time?

I cant locate on the website

??
Old Jan 31st 2012, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Are there separate forms for good to follow and goods with you at the time?

I cant locate on the website

??
Normally the B4 is used to document initial arrival. Most people normally make up 2 lists in duplicate a list of goods accompanying and a list of GTF.
Shipping inventories or movers inventories are acceptable as long as they adequately describe the goods. 50 x boxes of personal goods is not acceptable.
You should be able to download the B4 and B4a from the CBSA website.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Normally the B4 is used to document initial arrival. Most people normally make up 2 lists in duplicate a list of goods accompanying and a list of GTF.
Shipping inventories or movers inventories are acceptable as long as they adequately describe the goods. 50 x boxes of personal goods is not acceptable.
You should be able to download the B4 and B4a from the CBSA website.
I can't remember what we used as my husband did that bit but yes we did 2 lists, we may have even done it on a spreadsheet. You can put down things like 5 x boxes of kitchen equipment, we did and it was fine rather than listing every knife, fork, spoon, bowl etc but as Former Lancastrian says you can't generalise everything.