Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Goodbye Canada Hello Capital Gains Tax

Goodbye Canada Hello Capital Gains Tax

Old Mar 30th 2014, 9:40 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goodbye Canada Hello Capital Gains Tax

Anyway, the numbers are just an example, it's the principle of the valuation/exchange rate and documented refurb costs being offset against CGT to make a capital loss, and therefore a rebate against income tax paid, that I'm really interested to know.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 9:45 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Implausible or not, if you could produce such valuations, would it fly with the CRA? And can the refurb costs be added to the tax set-off?
You'd need to have kept all the receipts and not have done any renos on the black.

But you'd never do that, oh no.

Edit: thinking about it, I wonder if you'd need to use the exchange rates for the time(s) the improvements were done. Dunno.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 9:57 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Jon, what do you make of this? (values for illustrative purposes only)

2007 - became tax resident in Canada. UK property worth GBP300,000. At 2007 exchange rate (2.20) this is worth $660,000.

2014 - leaves Canada. UK property worth GBP350,000, plus had GBP100,000 of refurbishment. At 2014 exchange rates (1.80) that's $630,000 value plus $180,000 refurbishment.

Could I claim a capital loss from 2007 to 2014 of:

$660,000 less ($630,000 + $180,000) = -$150,000?

FMV on emigration £350,000 @ 1.8 = $630,000

Original tax cost £300,000 @ 2.2 = $660,000
Additional cost £100,000 @ 1.8 = $180,000.

On paper a $210,000 capital loss. (50% allowable.)

Spending £100,000 to achieve a £50,000 increase in market value might cause someone to take notice.

Is the house in joint names with Mrs. Jingsamichty? If so, you would put half on your tax return. Did Mrs. Jingsamichty and children live in the house for some of this time?

Most importantly, you can only claim capital losses against capital gains this year or any of the three preceding years. If you haven't paid tax on capital gains then there is no refund to be had. (You can carry capital losses forward indefinitely but if you are leaving this is not much use.)
Old Mar 30th 2014, 9:57 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You'd need to have kept all the receipts and not have done any renos on the black.

But you'd never do that, oh no.

Edit: thinking about it, I wonder if you'd need to use the exchange rates for the time(s) the improvements were done. Dunno.
Yes.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 10:10 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Jonboy, the font of all tax knowledge, I thankee.

It was a largely hypothetical question, the UK housing market has of course meant that house prices have risen a lot more than my example- even in Norfolk, Novo! I was more curious to see whether the exchange rate fluctuation and refurb costs alone could negate a potential capital gain, and it would seem they can.

All irrelevant in my case as I have never paid any CGT so have nothing to offset a Capital Loss against anyway. Now, if you could offset it against Income Tax, I'd have been very interested...

Something for the OP to consider though, before she writes the cheque.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 10:14 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Jonboy, the font of all tax knowledge, I thankee.

It was a largely hypothetical question, the UK housing market has of course meant that house prices have risen a lot more than my example- even in Norfolk, Novo! I was more curious to see whether the exchange rate fluctuation and refurb costs alone could negate a potential capital gain, and it would seem they can.

All irrelevant in my case as I have never paid any CGT so have nothing to offset a Capital Loss against anyway. Now, if you could offset it against Income Tax, I'd have been very interested...

Something for the OP to consider though, before she writes the cheque.
Yea, that's the catch. A CG loss doesn't equate to a refund, just to an offset against other CGT.

Edit: But since we perhaps have Jon's attention at the moment, do I have any CGT exposure on my soon-to-be retirement home in France? I paid cash for it in 2008 and will be leaving Canada next year. I doubt it's increased in value at all, except for renovations we've done. But should I get it revalued before we leave? I was tax resident in Canada when we bought it, it's never been rented and I haven't reported it on T1135 because it is property for personal use.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Mar 30th 2014 at 10:20 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 11:47 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Yea, that's the catch. A CG loss doesn't equate to a refund, just to an offset against other CGT.

Edit: But since we perhaps have Jon's attention at the moment, do I have any CGT exposure on my soon-to-be retirement home in France? I paid cash for it in 2008 and will be leaving Canada next year. I doubt it's increased in value at all, except for renovations we've done. But should I get it revalued before we leave? I was tax resident in Canada when we bought it, it's never been rented and I haven't reported it on T1135 because it is property for personal use.
If it is personal use property you are OK on the T1135 but yes, there is potential for a capital gain. I tend to be risk averse so if I was in your situation I would get an appraisal - even if it was just from a realtor rather than a qualified surveyor.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 2:16 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by JonboyE
If it is personal use property you are OK on the T1135 but yes, there is potential for a capital gain. I tend to be risk averse so if I was in your situation I would get an appraisal - even if it was just from a realtor rather than a qualified surveyor.
Thanks Jon. And sorry for the late reply but we had dinner guests.

OK, but since qualified surveyors are not a French breed, I'll talk to M. Gosselin, the agent immobilier this summer.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

99problems will become famous soon enough99problems will become famous soon enough

Just a thought but exchange rate in 2002 was 2.25CAD$ to the pound and is now 1.85 so 40c lower. It would be possible to demonstrate an appreciation or gain in value of the asset but a loss when converted to CAD$ in whihc any CGT must be paid. Hence potetnially a refund would be owing as you have paid tax in CAD$ on rental income during that period. It seems to me you have been incredibly honest - I simply would not have declared income earned abroad - CRA isn't much brighter than HMRC.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 9:53 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 99problems
It seems to me you have been incredibly honest - I simply would not have declared income earned abroad - CRA isn't much brighter than HMRC.
How much experience do you actually have of dealing with CRA? - You've been here less than 2 years.

I got audited within 3 months of arriving in Canada and starting a business here. CRA can be very thorough.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 9:58 pm
Born again atheist

Just a thought but exchange rate in 2002 was 2.25CAD$ to the pound and is now 1.85 so 40c lower. It would be possible to demonstrate an appreciation or gain in value of the asset but a loss when converted to CAD$ in whihc any CGT must be paid. Hence potetnially a refund would be owing as you have paid tax in CAD$ on rental income during that period. It seems to me you have been incredibly honest - I simply would not have declared income earned abroad - CRA isn't much brighter than HMRC.
Income taxes have nothing to do with capital gains taxes. It is perfectly possible to sustain a capital gain or loss simply on the exchange rates at deemed (or other) acquisition and deemed disposal. But if you have a capital loss you can only offset is against other capital gains (if any), but not against income.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 10:00 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by R I C H
How much experience do you actually have of dealing with CRA? - You've been here less than 2 years.

I got audited within 3 months of arriving in Canada and starting a business here. CRA can be very thorough.
Quite. I think the poster may soon have 100problems.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

99problems will become famous soon enough99problems will become famous soon enough

CRA can't audit an asset held overseas. Grow up and get off your high horse.

I'm aware income taxes aren't related to CGT but the income derived from the asset was derived in UK currency so the argument is linear in demonstrating that any "gain" would also be in UK pounds so the conversion might incur a loss by itself. Next week I'll show you how to lace your shoes.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 1:35 am
Born again atheist

I'm aware income taxes aren't related to CGT but the income derived from the asset was derived in UK currency so the argument is linear in demonstrating that any "gain" would also be in UK pounds so the conversion might incur a loss by itself. Next week I'll show you how to lace your shoes.
You're a very pleasant person to have a chat with. While you're lacing your shoes the next time, take a moment to think about what currency fluctuations on income sourced abroad have to do with Capital Gains.

Obviously you need to report your worldwide income to the CRA, converted to Canadian dollars. Do not assume that CRA will not check out the source of that income.

Or, if you like, assume they won't. I don't GAF.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 1:58 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

You're naïve. CRA investigated where all my income was derived from, foreign assets, cash transferred to Canada, how I paid for the business assets etc etc. 3 days sat in my office, then 3 further months before I got my paperwork returned.

I hope you wear slip-ons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.