Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

good for you, seacreature!

good for you, seacreature!

Old Jan 20th 2006, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute
Default good for you, seacreature!

i have been saddened to hear that you too are returning home, mate!
you may have read my trials and tribulations in canada too last year. i tried hard to make it work, but it was just too much. nothing wrong with the country or people mind you; we just didn't fit in!
but, listen here--having been here for around a year now, guess what? yep, i sometimes feel sorry i left canada at all!!!!!!!!!!!
i dont know what it is with us humans! never satisfied one way or the other.
i am well happy here in the uk, mind you, but sometimes, when i think of what could have been, my damn eyes just well up and off i go.............
yay, you may titter and laugh, but try putting yourself in this position, then you may just feel the same!
anyway, good luck seacreature--never mind the chavs--i've been here a year now and i have never come across one yet!!
Old Jan 20th 2006, 10:20 pm
Loving my life..

DanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant future
Default Re: good for you, seacreature!

I agree... Seacreature I think It must have been as hard to leave as it was to go there in the first place... Well done for giving it a go.... Many never even do that much. Good Luck and may a warm wind blow upon your back as you turn to leave.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

Thanks for that!
I agree, there is NOTHING wrong with Canada, it just isn't for me.
I probably could have overcome problems relating to my lack of Canadian credentials, however I was not willing to requalify in Canada.
I just didn't see the point, especially as there is so much about the country I dislike. Sure, Canada has the wonderful Rockies, beautiful wildlife and unlimited potential for outdoor pursuits. However did I see or do any of that? No. I'd probably see more of the country on holiday from Britain than living here. Basically I swapped a fairly affluent lifestyle in Britain for a minimum wage one in Canada, with all the crap and problems that goes with it.
Sure, I will miss the safety aspect of life in Canada, but little else. It sounds horrible to say, but I just didn't have the money or means to make much of a life over here.

Originally Posted by julius smith
i have been saddened to hear that you too are returning home, mate!
you may have read my trials and tribulations in canada too last year. i tried hard to make it work, but it was just too much. nothing wrong with the country or people mind you; we just didn't fit in!
but, listen here--having been here for around a year now, guess what? yep, i sometimes feel sorry i left canada at all!!!!!!!!!!!
i dont know what it is with us humans! never satisfied one way or the other.
i am well happy here in the uk, mind you, but sometimes, when i think of what could have been, my damn eyes just well up and off i go.............
yay, you may titter and laugh, but try putting yourself in this position, then you may just feel the same!
anyway, good luck seacreature--never mind the chavs--i've been here a year now and i have never come across one yet!!
Old Jan 20th 2006, 10:59 pm
Loving my life..

DanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant future

Well I'm currently sittin in my one room loft conversion... with my tiny amount of worldly possesions around me... I have nothing here and upon arrival will have nothing there.... BUT I know If i want to make a mark on this planet I can hopefully do it in Canada... Hard work is my middle name...which makes form filling quite an odd experiance...but I will give it 200% not to say you did not of course. Good luck again for your return.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

yes--you kind of hit the nail on the head! canada is a vast country, with loads of everything, but as an immigrant, you get to start off at the very lower level of things, thats what i found. only difference in my case was that i landed a perfectly respectable job in the aerospace industry within 8 weeks of landing!! now, that is very rare, so dont all assume it will be that easy for all of you! we never really hit it off, but on the other hand, we had only been there around 8 months. i reckon if we had stayed another few mths, we would stayed permanently, as at that time we were so peed off with the Uk! but i was with a family, and things are kinda different when you have 3 kids and wife to support! i am in my mid 40s, so not a spring chicken, and probably had a few years of hard work to get to the $300 000 house-status most people have there! but what i just cant figure out for the life of me, is where does it all end.....i mean, we moved to canada, didnt like it, now , we're back here and settled in fine, but sometimes thinking back as to what may have been, still gets the tears welling up.....
i am pretty sure you too will feel exactly the same as i am describing here.....!! but hey, life is where your heart is...........

Originally Posted by seacreature
Thanks for that!
I agree, there is NOTHING wrong with Canada, it just isn't for me.
I probably could have overcome problems relating to my lack of Canadian credentials, however I was not willing to requalify in Canada.
I just didn't see the point, especially as there is so much about the country I dislike. Sure, Canada has the wonderful Rockies, beautiful wildlife and unlimited potential for outdoor pursuits. However did I see or do any of that? No. I'd probably see more of the country on holiday from Britain than living here. Basically I swapped a fairly affluent lifestyle in Britain for a minimum wage one in Canada, with all the crap and problems that goes with it.
Sure, I will miss the safety aspect of life in Canada, but little else. It sounds horrible to say, but I just didn't have the money or means to make much of a life over here.