Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Good taxed if not shipped within a year of landing???

Wikiposts

Good taxed if not shipped within a year of landing???

Old Sep 18th 2010, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

Location: In the wilds of Chelsea, Québec but only 15 mins from Ottawa...
Tango Mike is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good taxed if not shipped within a year of landing???

Hi there

We have just returned to the UK after a week's 'landing' / recce in Montreal and our permanent residency cards are now en route (we hope!)

Anyways, my husband attended a 'seminar' for new immigrants and the person running it stated that you have ONE YEAR after landing to ship all your personal effects over untaxed, otherwise an importation tax of 20% will be levied on the total value of whatever you ship... My husband queried this as our understanding is that under the residency rule of however many days per year over a 5 year period we have at least 2 years before we need to take up residency....but the person was unable to comment further on the 1 year shipping rule. Can anyone else shed any light? It obviously makes quite a difference!

Merci...

TM
Old Sep 18th 2010, 6:21 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good taxed if not shipped within a year of landing???

Hi

Originally Posted by Tango Mike
Hi there

We have just returned to the UK after a week's 'landing' / recce in Montreal and our permanent residency cards are now en route (we hope!)

Anyways, my husband attended a 'seminar' for new immigrants and the person running it stated that you have ONE YEAR after landing to ship all your personal effects over untaxed, otherwise an importation tax of 20% will be levied on the total value of whatever you ship... My husband queried this as our understanding is that under the residency rule of however many days per year over a 5 year period we have at least 2 years before we need to take up residency....but the person was unable to comment further on the 1 year shipping rule. Can anyone else shed any light? It obviously makes quite a difference!

Merci...

TM
The person didn't know what they were talking about, there is no time limit on the importation of settler's effects. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...d2-2-1-eng.pdf
Old Sep 19th 2010, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Location: In the wilds of Chelsea, Québec but only 15 mins from Ottawa...
Tango Mike is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good taxed if not shipped within a year of landing???

Thanks for that - very helpful and phew!

TM