Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which are the good schools? (Toronto)

Wikiposts

Which are the good schools? (Toronto)

Old May 23rd 2005, 9:08 pm
Faire de la *fluff fluff*

Fluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Which are the good schools? (Toronto)

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yeah, mon. I know where they came from, when they came and what a tough job they had not being stereotyped as gangsters. I knew them first when they opened the shop and later from seeing them at school plays and the like; we people who can't follow the plot stick together. There are plenty of francophone black people around here, mainly Haitians and people who insist they come from the Belgian Congo but they're not Jamaicans. Roti, jerk, acki, saltfish, are usual items in Jamaican restaurants here, other Caribbean restaurants tend more to pigs feet. I think it fair to say roti is Jamaican even if it''s really American, like Chow Mein or pizza.
Roti comes from Suriname - there are tons of commercials for it here (you can buy dinner packets for it) in Holland as Surinamers are one of Holland's largest foreign groups, as Indians are to Britian, for exmaple, or Pakistanis are to Canada.
Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in, hee hee.
Old May 23rd 2005, 11:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brummie_babe
Your ignorance is quite amusing...
As you will.

We get roti from the Dutchpot or the Real Jerk. They're well known places so I'm sure you track down the proprietors and confirm their nationality directly. I don't think you should assume that they're black though, there are plenty of Jamaicans of Asian descent in Toronto.

On the topic of black people not necessarily being Jamaican I should perhaps point out that about half the pupils in the French school up the road are white. The student body, like that of English language inner city schools, includes people from all over the world.

Originally Posted by Fluffy Boogie
Pakistanis are to Canada
Eh? The top five countries of origin for immigrants to Canada are : PRC, India, Phillipines, Hong Kong and Sri Lanka.

http://www12.statcan.ca/english/cens...imm/canada.cfm find 'countries of birth'.

I know about there being people from Suriname in Amsterdam as I have an occasional job near the RAI. We order food and eat it in the office, sadly no one has ever suggested roti. There's no distinct minority like the Indonesians in the Netherlands here.
Old May 24th 2005, 12:00 am

Fluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura about

As you will.

We get roti from the Dutchpot or the Real Jerk. They're well known places so I'm sure you track down the proprietors and confirm their nationality directly. I don't think you should assume that they're black though, there are plenty of Jamaicans of Asian descent in Toronto.

On the topic of black people not necessarily being Jamaican I should perhaps point out that about half the pupils in the French school up the road are white. The student body, like that of English language inner city schools, includes people from all over the world.

Eh? The top five countries of origin for immigrants to Canada are : PRC, India, Phillipines, Hong Kong and Sri Lanka.

http://www12.statcan.ca/english/cens...imm/canada.cfm find 'countries of birth'.

I know about there being people from Suriname in Amsterdam as I have an occasional job near the RAI. We order food and eat it in the office, sadly no one has ever suggested roti. There's no distinct minority like the Indonesians in the Netherlands here.
Thats' funny - I work near the RAI, too!
Old May 24th 2005, 12:01 am

As you will.

Oh, well the list I once knew is from a bit back - I haven't been in Canada for a while now. Thanks for the update! And I have never had roti, either. Might try it next week and let you know - they have it at the Dirk
Old May 24th 2005, 12:06 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats' funny - I work near the RAI, too!
In computing ?
Old May 24th 2005, 12:07 am
Assimilated Pauper

Oh, well the list I once knew is from a bit back - I haven't been in Canada for a while now. Thanks for the update! And I have never had roti, either. Might try it next week and let you know - they have it at the Dirk
I confess to quoting only the top five countries because Pakistan is number six.
Old May 24th 2005, 12:16 am

In computing ?

No, in nannying and teaching. I taught privately at Ernst and Young (Business ESL)
Old May 24th 2005, 12:25 am
Assimilated Pauper

No, in nannying and teaching. I taught privately at Ernst and Young (Business ESL)
Ah. Would you be looking to teach ESL here ? There's massive demand.
Old May 24th 2005, 12:38 am

Ah. Would you be looking to teach ESL here ? There's massive demand.
In Toronto? That is the plan. I get Job Bots from job sites and get at least 7 ESL job alerts per week. Just in the T.O. area!
Old May 24th 2005, 1:17 am
Assimilated Pauper

In Toronto? That is the plan. I get Job Bots from job sites and get at least 7 ESL job alerts per week. Just in the T.O. area!
Yes, in Toronto. A fair number of language schools are immigration scams but, still, there's plenty of need for real ESL teachers. My "ex" does some of that work though her real niche is tutoring people through their French language high school equivalency exams; it's staggering how many unqualified unilingual francophones there are here.
Old May 24th 2005, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

raza is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, in Toronto. A fair number of language schools are immigration scams but, still, there's plenty of need for real ESL teachers. My "ex" does some of that work though her real niche is tutoring people through their French language high school equivalency exams; it's staggering how many unqualified unilingual francophones there are here.

Hi there,

Good to hear that esl teacher are in great demand in Toronto. I myself am an ESL teacher in the Gulf and we are about to immigrat to Canada (waiting for PPR).

Raza