Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Good News, Job Wise

Good News, Job Wise

Old Aug 10th 2004, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice
Default Good News, Job Wise

Hi All,
just thought would share abit of good news we got lastnight. When we went over to halifax in feb, husband got job offer with a tanker company, they wrote a letter for us to give to immigration and we said we would arrive by end of year. SILLY US! We are not going to arrive until next year may/june. We then thought oh well this company now won't be interested in taking on husband. Anyway he called the main guy at company lastnight, he new who my husband was straight away, hubby explained that immigration are taking longer than we thought, but the boss said no problem we will get you driving when you arrive doesn't matter when keep him informed. My hubby was dreading the call, but now has made us very happy to know he won't have to look elsewhere for work. The company have never taken on any immigrants before and are very keen to take hubby on, we think due to his 16 years tanker experience, so there are some good stories about getting work in canada before you go.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good News, Job Wise

Somewhere on this board I added a post about long distance truck drivers and how employers in Saskatchewan cannot find drivers. I assume it must be the same all over Canada - truck drivers and skilled tradespeople seem to be in short supply!

That's nice that they are guaranteeing your job. Some people I know came here - the husband got a job but by the time the immigration people had finished messing around - the job was gone. It didn't really matter - there are lots of jobs in his field but it does seem rather stupid that they seem to encourage people to get a job and then they take a year to process the application - by which time - lots of jobs would not still be available.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 9:39 pm
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

Thats great news Wendy

What more could you ask for than someone who wants your talent, and is willing to wait for it!

I am thrilled for you both.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Hey Wendy, that is great news, I bet you both are very excited! Bet you wish it could all happen sooner. We had a couple here this weekend from Essex. They are having alook around NS and are in love with the place so now they are eager to make a move as well. He had 2 meetings with prospective employers and came out feeling very confident. We had a great time here they loved being on the lake and went for swim and a boat ride. The kids went out in the paddle boat so we all had fun!
Old Aug 11th 2004, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice

Hi Corky,
was that tony and michelle? Did they have good time? Are they back in uk now? I will email them in the week. Yeh we do wish we were coming over sooner now, but at least we don't have to worry about jamie getting work, which was the big worry.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

perkinsgap is an unknown quantity at this point

hi
i don't know if you can help me I am a HGV driver in uk and looking to move to canada will they let you move there with HGV and work as a driver as I have been told that HGV thi swill not be enough to get me out there. Please could you advise me if there is any tips that you can give me.
My e-mail address is [email protected], look forward to hearing from you soon.

kind regards
Garren Perkins
Old Aug 11th 2004, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Garren, just to let you kow have emailed you with a bit of info, but if you look around the forum you will find a post about trucking in the west of canada, i think by liz. They are crying out for truck drivers i believe in manitoba and saskatween, also you can go calgary, but you will have to do your points valuation, but look into pnp.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

The Welshman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Garren

You might want to have a look at this site :http://willisbrazolot.com/careers/truckDrivers.htm
There is some info about lgv jobs! Good luck.
I looked, but i do not have enough experience.

The Welshman A pint of Brains SA, works well