Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Good Insurance companies in NS.

Good Insurance companies in NS.

Old Aug 2nd 2012, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Lamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good Insurance companies in NS.

Now having settled in to our new surroundings we are looking to shop around for a better deal on our car / house insurance.

Does anybody have any recommendations and is it generally better / cheaper to package the 2 together?

Many thanks.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 11:07 am
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Insurance companies in NS.

Mine are with the same company and that reduces both policy premiums by 5%.

My experience, since moving here, was that I had little difficulty choosing an insurance company (based on the policy details and perceived reputation) but more a case of finding a broker I could trust.

My advice here would be to talk to as many brokers as possible, especially those recommended to you, to get a feel for how professional and responsible they are and how much they are prepared to do to get your business. Consider the time and effort it takes for them to respond to your requests, as one day you might have to issue a claim through them.

Currently my broker is AA Munro and ins. co. is Aviva. I had to submit a big claim through them a couple of years ago and, apart from many tedious dealings with their injuries/healthcare dept., I'm otherwise reasonably satisfied. So far, anyway.

Originally Posted by Lamin
Now having settled in to our new surroundings we are looking to shop around for a better deal on our car / house insurance.

Does anybody have any recommendations and is it generally better / cheaper to package the 2 together?

Many thanks.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 1:54 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

If you are in the Halifax area try Paula Dobson at Bell & Grant on Lady Hammond Rd. 429-4150. They have been around for many years and I have used them for the last 11 years for house and car insurance. The policies I have are through Aviva and when I had a claim six years ago they were ace.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

cadfael is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lamin

Many thanks.
Johnsons will take any UK discounts if you can provide proof I have dealt with them in the past and they have given a very reasonable quote recently
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 10:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by cadfael
Johnsons will take any UK discounts if you can provide proof I have dealt with them in the past and they have given a very reasonable quote recently
+ 1 Im with them - they took my ncb from uk and were cheapest by miles when I first came here.

Just renewed a while ago and still best by a few hundred dollars

Ask for Suzanne Nadalini - very nice and explained everything about how insurance works here very well.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Johnsons are the best bet IME.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all

We've used Rob Peters at Eisenhauer brokers - they beat Johnsons for price and cover (for us at least) and I do call around every couple of years to compare......still with Eisenhauer.