Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Good bye England

Good bye England

Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good bye England

Originally Posted by northerndave
Why?
Because he's Oink!!! Winding up people is what he does best!!!!
Old Mar 19th 2011, 5:36 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

If was a little brief and direct I grant you but the sentiment is still the same. It seems that most people who emigrate to Canada unless they're wealthy, either hate it after awhile or at best endure it as they can't afford to go back or their children have become too integrated. Both conditions seem to involve regret. There is small percentage that genuinely like it here, but they seem to have been here since the 1950s and 1960s and I suspect their comparison between post-war Britain and Canada is somewhat different than today. I really meant good luck, you'll need it being a foreigner living in someone else's country, thousands of miles and thus expensive plane rides away from your family, friends and culture. But maybe you prefer myopic jingoism instead of reality.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

northerndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nice

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Everybody has different reasons for doing this sort of thing, ours was that I have been offered a very good job. You could call us wealthy, but what that has to do with anything Im not sure, our main motivation being that if we didnt do this then for the rest of our lives we would always be wondering "what if" well simply, if it doesnt work out then we just go back to the UK and carry on from were we left, if it does work out then I will be retiring when Im 55.

Being a foreigner isnt/hasnt been a problem, in fact Ive had a number of total strangers go out of there way to help me, and flights back to the UK are pretty cheap so again no big deal.Our frame of mind is that regardless of how much we "hate" it? then we are staying a minimum of 2 years, but so far so good. I think most peoples thoughts are that the grass is greener, in some respects it is but each and every country has its issues and an issue to one person isnt to another, as an example, my main residence in the UK is almost on the South downs way in west sussex, surrounded by footpaths and Bridelways I can walk mile after mile in open country sidestraight from my front door.

I live in Uxbridge the "trail capital of Canada". Its got 6 trails!! nuff said.
So thats my problem, I knew about it so I just have to deal with it.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 7:42 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northerndave
Thank you for the warm welcome.

Everybody has different reasons for doing this sort of thing, ours was that I have been offered a very good job. You could call us wealthy, but what that has to do with anything Im not sure, our main motivation being that if we didnt do this then for the rest of our lives we would always be wondering "what if" well simply, if it doesnt work out then we just go back to the UK and carry on from were we left, if it does work out then I will be retiring when Im 55.

Being a foreigner isnt/hasnt been a problem, in fact Ive had a number of total strangers go out of there way to help me, and flights back to the UK are pretty cheap so again no big deal.Our frame of mind is that regardless of how much we "hate" it? then we are staying a minimum of 2 years, but so far so good. I think most peoples thoughts are that the grass is greener, in some respects it is but each and every country has its issues and an issue to one person isnt to another, as an example, my main residence in the UK is almost on the South downs way in west sussex, surrounded by footpaths and Bridelways I can walk mile after mile in open country sidestraight from my front door.

I live in Uxbridge the "trail capital of Canada". Its got 6 trails!! nuff said.
So thats my problem, I knew about it so I just have to deal with it.
Most places are tolerable with a fair amount of money. So brilliant.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
If was a little brief and direct I grant you but the sentiment is still the same. It seems that most people who emigrate to Canada unless they're wealthy, either hate it after awhile or at best endure it as they can't afford to go back or their children have become too integrated. Both conditions seem to involve regret. There is small percentage that genuinely like it here, but they seem to have been here since the 1950s and 1960s and I suspect their comparison between post-war Britain and Canada is somewhat different than today. I really meant good luck, you'll need it being a foreigner living in someone else's country, thousands of miles and thus expensive plane rides away from your family, friends and culture. But maybe you prefer myopic jingoism instead of reality.
I think Oink's problem is that he is not satisfied with his lot! As he is not happy he doesn't want anybody else to be happy!
Shame to go through life with a chip, or is it the whole tree, on your shoulder!
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:23 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I think Oink's problem is that he is not satisfied with his lot! As he is not happy he doesn't want anybody else to be happy!
Shame to go through life with a chip, or is it the whole tree, on your shoulder!
Not true. I think a reality check once in a while is healthy. Money does make things easier here in certain circumstances, and in others, well .... whatever works.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:28 pm
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe I'm going nuts, but wasn't there a reply from someone called dozzpot on this thread, where d'it go?

Last edited by Dotty P; Mar 19th 2011 at 8:29 pm. Reason: didn't see that it was deleted....oops!
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:29 pm

No, I don't think that's it, I happen to live quite comfortably in one of the few places in Canada that's not a semi-frozen pigsty, and although at times it can appear to be somewhat Situationist in nature, I think one needs to cut through the self-justifying delusional propaganda that peppers this board to give people a more realistic view of how life may well be as an immigrant.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

No, I don't think that's it, I happen to live quite comfortably in one of the few places in Canada that's not a semi-frozen pigsty, and although at times it can appear to be somewhat Situationist in nature, I think one needs to cut through the self-justifying delusional propaganda that peppers this board to give people a more realistic view of how life may well be as an immigrant.
But you're not doing that! Yes people need to remove the rose tinted glasses but whatever anybody posts on here you make a point of turning their expectations into negative ones!
I for one know that my life won't be all plain sailing once we move over but it doesn't mean I don't want to make a go of it! Even if I do learn a few lessons the hard way! We learn from our mistakes, but we have to have been given the opportunity to make them first!
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe we should send Oink to Coventry?
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Dozzpot;9250810]<snip>QUOTE]

It's amazing what a spelling mistake can do!!!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 20th 2011 at 2:47 pm. Reason: Sorry, but quoted post deleted
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Dozzpot
<snip>
With your sense of humour and irony you'll have no problem integrating with Canadian culture.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 20th 2011 at 2:47 pm. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anyway I've said my bit about Oink! I shall move on to pastures new now....
Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:19 pm

Anyway I've said my bit about Oink! I shall move on to pastures new now....
I see you haven't actually lived in Canada yet? So, your evaluation of the veracity of my advice is not based on personal knowledge or experience of the country then?
Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

I see you haven't actually lived in Canada yet? So, your evaluation of the veracity of my advice is not based on personal knowledge or experience of the country then?
If I can't comment on your judgemental attitude on here because I haven't lived in Canada yet then by the same token you cannot offer judgement on anybodies experiences past or future as you have not met each and every British Expat who posts on here!!!

I have however had enough experience of having been an expat already in two other countries to know that there are always ups and downs when you make a massive life change like moving to Canada.

As they say "don't judge me until you've walked a mile in my shoes"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.