Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Good areas to live around Vancouver

Good areas to live around Vancouver

Old Jan 8th 2017, 3:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good areas to live around Vancouver

Originally Posted by dbd33
Good grief, jsmth321, it was an interesting idea well supported by transport information and pictures. It had a weakness but all location ideas have, it's not an attack on you that someone points out the downside of that location.
Originally Posted by Oink
They were really good suggestions by jsmth321, if you want beautiful scenery within a computing distance. But the OP had mentioned education as being important and I have a lot of knowledge in that area so was simply suggesting some points to consider.
I have up's and down's and if something is said on a down, it can trigger me, doesn't mean anyone said something wrong, and it's not that persons issue, it's mine. Nothing said was offensive, I was just triggered for some reason which happens quite a lot regardless of topic at hand.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 8th 2017 at 3:26 am.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Victoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all so much for all of info! Everyone is so helpful and I have much to read up on.

So, yes I will be working downtown so all areas mentioned look fantastic as they are in easy commute but far enough out of the city .

The schools are important for sure so they are also at the top of our priority list.

My 14 year old will be going into his GCSE year next year if we were to stay in the UK . I know the system isn't the same out there although at this stage, not entirely sure on all the differences but reading up on it. There is so much to take in but forever grateful to you all!
Old Jan 8th 2017, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Victoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle
We live in Coquitlam, right on the border of
port Moody. WE live up on the Westwood plateau. Husband commutes downtown mot days and I commute 4 days. He goes by train and I go by car. Works fine for us. The new skytrain will make life easier if you need to work outside of office hours. Plenty of places to walk and swim, the lakes up in Anmore and Belcarra are lovely. Happy to chat about this area!
That's so kind of you. Once the paperwork goes in for the LMIA , I would be very grateful of advice ! The area looks lovely !
Old Jan 9th 2017, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered just living in Vancouver for the first year in a nice, leafy, quiet, dog-friendly residential neighbourhood with good schools, lush gardens, and only minutes away from downtown? Areas like Kitsilano, Point Grey, Kerrisdale, or Dunbar may appeal. They are areas that look like this: goo.gl/lzv6kE and goo.gl/IH6Zlr (random locations I selected). In other words, not "hustle and bustle". And it might be easier to adapt to living in Vancouver somewhere like that than, say, Maple Ridge, especially if you're coming from the Kent countryside.

It could be a transitionary first year as you get to know the city and the nuances of the different neighbourhoods (which often look different in person than on paper). It will also allow you to properly explore the rural areas here, and the realities of commuting to them, without having to commit to being somewhere that might otherwise be quite isolating, dull, or completely contrary to how you were imagining it to be. Otherwise, I think trying to replicate a UK rural lifestyle in Vancouver is only going to set you up for disappointment, which will ultimately negatively affect your experience of the city.

By staying in Vancouver for your first year, you can scrap the need for a commute at all. No highways, no bridges, no gridlock, no bland suburbia to drive through for an hour. No chain restaurants, big box stores, or lack of public transit options and other realities of living rurally outside of Vancouver. Plus, the beauty of living in Vancouver is that you can quickly escape your house and within minutes find yourself in nature like the rainforest trails of Pacific Spirit Park, or the sandy shoreline of Jericho Beach and Spanish Banks - all within minutes, without a commute. If you want to rely on public transit, you can easily do that too.

There are of course gorgeous rural areas, like South Surrey's Hazelmere, or South Langley, or Aldergrove, but they would be dreadfully isolating, and you would certainly need a car. And culturally, you're fairly removed from the city.

Trains? What are trains? Skytrains are the alternative, but then you'll either need to live somewhere super urban/high density, or bland and suburban.

Anyway, it may be a different lifestyle than you were living in the UK, but it would be a lifestyle that would work better with Vancouver's infrastructure. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Lychee; Jan 9th 2017 at 2:21 am.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough

Porty Moody sounds like your best bet. The Evergreen line just opened, so commuting should be pretty painless - I have no idea how people cope with driving here in rush hour traffic, day after day. I'd go all Michael Douglas in Falling Down within six months.

Alternatively North Van or Vancouver if you can afford it. Or do it for a year, just for the hell of it. You can cycle to work - it's lovely in the summer.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Coquitlam, Port Moody, Mission, Maple Ridge might be good fits.

I like North Vancouver and areas in Kits as well. They are close to downtown but feel a long way away.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 3:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
Have you considered just living in Vancouver for the first year in a nice, leafy, quiet, dog-friendly residential neighbourhood with good schools, lush gardens, and only minutes away from downtown?
This would be excellent advice for someone moving to Toronto, I imagine it works for Vancouver too. One may as well enjoy the good bits of a city before settling in a dormitory suburb.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 3:54 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Finding a 3+ bedroom house to rent on the Westside for under $4,000 pcm will be a challenge. Otherwise it is a good suggestion.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

dominiqueincanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Finding a 3+ bedroom house to rent on the Westside for under $4,000 pcm will be a challenge. Otherwise it is a good suggestion.
I live in Kits and it is a good suggestion (leafy, quiet, close to downtown but also the seawall and parks) however as JonboyE stated, it is expensive. A 2 bed apartment is around $2000pm so I don't think you'd find anything in your budget. I agree that you'd be better off living in Vancouver proper in order to get a feel for the city in your first year and be able to explore the suburbs and decide where you want to end up living. This is particularly pertinent as you'll almost certainly have to commit to a year long rental agreement which is a long time living somewhere you don't like.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

I have friends with dogs and children who rent a beautiful 3 bedroom house in Dunbar, who are not paying much more than what they would have paid for renting a condo. Mind you, they have been living there for a while, but when you start researching, you discover that it's not much more expensive to rent a full house on Vancouver's west side than you may initially realise. Buying a house is prohibitively expensive of course, but renting a whole house on the west side is actually quite doable. And I would imagine a landlord would prefer renting to a family than a group of UBC undergrad students, who are the typical demographic for renting houses in that area. The issue is being quick enough to be the first to view the house and pay a deposit on it. Rentals don't last long in this city. But it's certainly not a lost cause.

Last edited by Lychee; Jan 9th 2017 at 4:46 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all for the time you are taking to help and advise me ! There are fantastic suggestions here. I think some research on properties and a visit to some of the areas suggested is definitely needed. Lots more homework to do but at least now I know where to look !

Hugely appreciate the help !
Old Jan 10th 2017, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

nickel1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved from UK to Maple Ridge 6 years ago. It isn't the greatest commute into Vancouver (via the West Coast Express train.....though by UK standards there isn't much "Express" about it....more of a slow trundle!....and you only get 5 trains in the morning in, and 5 back in the afternoon). On the other hand, if you are able to work from home then it might not be so bad. Maple Ridge has the advantage of being more affordable than some of the areas closer to Vancouver and is growing. It has good schools, amenities and plenty of nearby countryside - Golden Ears Park. Equally, plenty of the other suggestions on here would probably work for you - Coquitlam, Port Moody, Port Coquitlam etc.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 3:03 am
Just Joined

jeannine will become famous soon enoughjeannine will become famous soon enough

I am also in Maple Ridge and I would recommend it. When I first came to Canada in 77 I went to Maple Ridge but over the years I moved further in to Coquitlam, and Burnaby but finally came back 5 years ago. It is small enough to have that town rather than city feel and big enough to have most everything I need.

I used to work at Vancouver General Hospital and commuted from Maple Ridge, it was Ok then but easier now due to new highways.

nickel is right it is still very affordable compared to Vancouver for house prices and well worth a thought..good luck.